PDA

View Full Version : Help with new army: Somali militia using Ork rules

doughboyguard
01-06-2011, 05:33 PM
So I have been debating starting a new army for 40k for awhile. One of my major research interests in school is Somalia. So I have debated using 40k ork rules with catachan bodies. My problem is twofold: 1) Does anyone have any advice for shooting orks? 2) I want to use technicals for the army (pickup trucks with large guns on the back), but I'm confused on scale. is 1:35 scale for a vehicle wrong? Does anyone have any advice for creating technicals?

Denzark
01-06-2011, 05:47 PM
Search throgh the modelling threads for discussion of scale - GW minis being a mix of three scales betwen heads bodies and legs I believe - but 1:48 vehicles look fine.

On the subject of somali militia, they are cracked up junkies who use rape as a weapon and induct boy soldiers. There is nothing admirable about them and its of a similar vein to making a Nazzi army.

I don't comment on the morality when playing a game all about murder and the most geno-xenocidal fluff ever, but think if you purely want a controversial army you can do better.

WereWolf_nr
01-06-2011, 06:07 PM
On the subject of somali militia, they are cracked up junkies who use rape as a weapon and induct boy soldiers. There is nothing admirable about them and its of a similar vein to making a Nazzi army.

I don't comment on the morality when playing a game all about murder and the most geno-xenocidal fluff ever, but think if you purely want a controversial army you can do better.

Heck, I think the ****s should be insulted you compared them to Somali militias. Heck, only a small minority of even the SS were involved in the Holocaust.

eagleboy7259
01-06-2011, 10:12 PM
Other gaming systems already have models for ****'s (Flames of War comes to mind). However since u are going out of your way to create that army within the 40k gaming system people will be offended by it. Orks as Guard and Guard as Orks are common enough conversion and 'count as' armies. If you wanna make pickups with guns in the back and play them with ork rules go right ahead, just don't tell anyone these little plastic men are actully somali's in your head.

fuzzbuket
01-07-2011, 01:32 AM
Bad idea.

just as denzark said. in africa theres a hella lot of bad **** going on, and none of its nice. its like having a SS army complete with gas chambers. you wouldnt use catchacans youd use converted grotz as child soldiers.

do it if you want but im waring you its a VERY bad idea

Lane
01-07-2011, 03:03 AM
Representing a warlords gang using Ork rules is very fitting. But Catachan minis? If anything it should be old metal IG, which are much Skinnie er than current models, or Gorkamorka Orks which are also smaller.

Ork trucks or battle wagons would work fine for technicals, otherwise 1:48 scale.