PDA

View Full Version : What do you play

Emerald Rose Widow
01-05-2011, 04:09 PM
I was just curious what armies everyone plays and why, what makes that army so awesome to you, what makes it trip your fancy.

For me, when I get the time to build, I am putting together a Tyranid army of epicness, especially after I have gotten to play with them a little bit, its been a lot of fun. I love the play style, its just so neat, I just wanna consume everything MWAHAHAHAHAH, i know im a total dork.

But seriously, what army do you play and why?

Laodamia
01-05-2011, 04:33 PM
I (used to) play a SM salamanders army.

I chose the SM as the guy from my GW center told me it was a faction easy to paint for beginners, with their big armor and their smooth curves. In addition, I rather liked the idea of playing with the elite of the elite, the supersoldiers of the W40K universe, all clad in thick and heavy armor with big and lethal guns.

When it came for me to choose a specific chapter, I decided I wanted one of the first legions, and finally picked the salamanders, because of their reputation of protecting the weak and the defenseless people of the Imperium instead of seeking glory (like those ultra-smurfs).

My army rose to 1400 points when I stopped it. I simply didn't have the time any more to continue playing with it. Furthermore, GW's minis got more expensive with each passing year. When I finally decided to stop playing W40K, I gave some of my army to a couple of friends and sold what was left on E-Bay.

I still keep a few minis (the best painted) as a souvenir and because I wanted to keep a little something of my noble salamanders.:(

Lockark
01-05-2011, 04:55 PM
I play Emperor's Children CSM and a accompanying Traitor Guard Force.

Plus orks. Because you got to love orks.

Emerald Rose Widow
01-05-2011, 05:13 PM
I play Emperor's Children CSM and a accompanying Traitor Guard Force.

Plus orks. Because you got to love orks.

orks are pretty awesome, i mean i have seen some really creative ork models and creations out there, i mean rockin stuff.

Farseer Uthiliesh
01-05-2011, 05:26 PM
I have 3000 points of Eldar and 2000 points of Dark Eldar. Tempted to start collecting Tau.

dannyat2460
01-05-2011, 05:49 PM
Ultramarines- 1st army and when i was that young i just did as GW told me lol,
then moved onto guard army as i love the idea of massed infantry with heavy tanks,
then added whitch/deamon hunters to the mix including SoB and GKs just to add a bit of a change to add into my normal armies,
after that I decided to give blood angels a try and made a sizable force of them
Im currently creating an admech army to accompany my titan should be quite nice when all finished
then im going to move onto space wolves but with a lion theme rather than wolf and have them gold rather than dull grey
Ive also collected just about every other army going but the ones i mentioned are the ones i still own and collect new models for

JxKxR
01-05-2011, 06:03 PM
I started with Tau because I loved how they look. Then started a Chaos Space Marine army to change from a shooty army to a close combat army.

Emerald Rose Widow
01-05-2011, 06:09 PM
I started with Tau because I loved how they look. Then started a Chaos Space Marine army to change from a shooty army to a close combat army.

yeah, tau seems a lot of fun, im tempted to move on to them after nids. Their tanks are rocking too.

Connjurus
01-05-2011, 08:18 PM
By far my largest collection of models is my Apocalypse Chaos force - now roughly 12,000 points worth of combine Chaos Space Marines/Chaos Daemons. I started with Chaos Space Marines because in just about anything I play, I tend to gravitate towards the "men in the mirror", the twisted version of mankind's most powerful defenders. My first buys were a box of Thousand Sons, a box of Khorne Berzerkers, Abaddon, and a fiveman box of terminators and a land raider. I didn't really know where I was going with the army yet, so I went with the stuff that looked the coolest to me.

I still play them because, in terms of playstyle, they're perfect for me. Chaos Space Marines are about overwhelming your opponent, a definite "in your face beatdown" style of play that people tend to underestimate if they don't see maxed Obliterators or two Lash Princes. And I love that. I love being underestimated, just to see the look of confusion on turn 3 that nine-man unit of overpriced Chosen that Outflanked last turn and popped a tank with meltas - which is fine - then had the aspiring champion turn into a Greater Daemon and my Lesser Daemons spawned from the icon, all right in my enemy's flank. I love the fact that this army is dependent on risks and gambles - it perfectly fits the fickle nature of the Gods.

I also have about 3,000 points worth of Necron, that I play because...well, I don't really play them much anymore, but that'll probably change when they get a new codex. I originally picked them up because I thought the Monolith was a *****ing model - even though it's a ***** to actually build - and I loved the thought of Robot Skeletons that never die.

I'm also looking to start Dark Eldar, for three reasons:

Incubi. I love their models so, so, so much. I love the way their swords look, and I can picture them using them to cut space marines in half.

Good army to fight my girlfriend's SLaanesh Daemons with, but the next game play on her side against my friends' Space Marines and Eldar.

Haemonculi. They're like twisted immortal elven **** doctors. In space.

eagleboy7259
01-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Chaos Demons - because they're so different!

You can almost simplify every other army's paint scheme to "I play blue marines," or "I play red eldar" The diversity of the demons miniture range adds so much to the visual experience of 40k, not to mention fun and challenge in the actual painting. On top of that you have some excellent huge minitures such as Soul Grinders, Demon Princes, Greater Demons, and Blood Crushers which really stand out on the table. Combine that with the fact that they play unlike any other race in the game - not just for the deepstriking aspect - but multiple monsterous creatures, small body count comprised of elite units, and the most badass looking walker in the game and you get a more unique gaming experience than blander races offer. Not to say you can't make one of the other races - like space marines or eldar - unique through the vastness of their unit types (bike/jetbike armies, deathwing/loganwing, drop pods, aspect warriors, etc.) but a vanilla demons army lets you do that without really trying.

newtoncain
01-05-2011, 09:30 PM
Nids and IG currently, have played everything but SoB.:eek:

HsojVvad
01-05-2011, 10:27 PM
I collect Dark Angels and Tyranids. I just love the fluff for DA, and like their colour scheme. I also love Tyranids fluff as well. I love their minis and I just lvoe NOM NOM NOMing everything.

Since you are starting Tyranids, here is a 'Nid song for you. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zvCq5Sxwnw

Something for a little darker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF13bO-yCXo&NR=1

Brass Scorpion
01-05-2011, 10:48 PM
It's more about what looks cool and the collecting, converting and painting for me. So Chaos Marines and Chaos Warriors are my oldest and longest running continuously growing collections, I love the monstrous nature of them and the creative possibilities that go with it. I also have done Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar, Space Wolves, Tyranids, Daemons over the years. I'm currently working on Orks and plan on Tau, Necrons, Skaven and Beastmen, for which I already have piles of models. Check out a sampling at my picture gallery here (http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/user/13937-BrassScorpion.html). When I do play games these days, it's generally with my Chaos Marines or custom Space Marine chapter. For Fantasy, it's Chaos Warriors. I do occasionally give my other armies a workout.

Force21
01-06-2011, 02:52 AM
My first army was Imperial Guard....back about 5 years ago my brother wanted to start playing 40K after we played Dawn of War & well he needed a opponent so he got Marines & well Marines vs Marines is not fun so I said hey I like Baneblades so why not IG...

after I got two battle forces, command squad box, Chimera & some extra Guardsmen....

I saw a sample amy in the 4th Ed rulebook.....& it had a squad of Grey Knight Terminators leading a small Guard army... & I just was like DANG! :eek:

oh well I am still a Guardsmen at heart but.... Grey Knights are just amazing.

I got a Grey Knight Redeemer for X-mas & its going to be great to use it.

eldargal
01-06-2011, 02:56 AM
Eldar primarily, rapidly approaching 50k points (I love you, Forge World).
Dark Eldar, about two thousand points painted.

Then I have little 'sample' armies I put together for fluff/painting reasons rather than gaming, but I have played a fewgames with them:
1500 points of Astral Kittens (female Space Marines)
750 points of Orks
750 points of SoB (will be expanding this dramatically if the next codex is good)
750 points of IG
500 points of Thousand Sons

Farseer Uthiliesh
01-06-2011, 03:45 AM
Eldar primarily, rapidly approaching 50k points (I love you, Forge World).
Dark Eldar, about two thousand points painted.

Then I have little 'sample' armies I put together for fluff/painting reasons rather than gaming, but I have played a fewgames with them:
750 points of Orks
750 points of SoB (will be expanding this dramatically if the next codex is good)
750 points of IG

You must have a lot of disposable income (like me)! :D

Connjurus
01-06-2011, 03:56 AM

That's like seven models.

Emerald Rose Widow
01-06-2011, 04:00 AM
Since you are starting Tyranids, here is a 'Nid song for you. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zvCq5Sxwnw
]

OMG THAT IS THE CUTEST THING EVER, im so bookmarking it.

Emerald Rose Widow
01-06-2011, 04:05 AM
My initial setup I am going to buy for to get started with will be designed to be between 500 and 750 points on a nid list, and ill see how it goes from there. Once I have my basics so I can play, I'll buy more later, but I need something to start with.

I am really looking forward to assembling my army.

Laodamia
01-06-2011, 06:06 AM

The Astral Kittens??? Whadehell?

That sounds funny. I guess you converted some SoB then. How do you paint/convert them? What is the colour scheme of these women's rights-fighting SM?

eldargal
01-06-2011, 06:16 AM
Nope, regular SMs with the officers having female heads instead of helmets. Works rather well.:)

The Thousand Sons are Ahriman and a few terminators.

murrburger
01-06-2011, 06:21 AM
I started out with Eldar in 2nd edition, (3rd was out, but I still played 2nd for a while), then got dark Eldar in teh 3rd starter box. Then moved on to Dark Angels, then back to Eldar, then back to Dark Eldar. Now I'm mixing my old DE with some new ones to make an army.

Right now I have...

Dark Angels (They're sitting on the shelf. One day... one day...)

2000 points Deathwing

1500~ points Ravenwing

3000 points Battle Company

2500~ Eldar

500~ Dark Eldar (I sold them in 4th, but kept some random models I liked.)

DrLove42
01-06-2011, 06:37 AM
~10,500 points of Eldar

~2,000 points of Tau

~1,000 points of Dark Eldar, most pre-dating the new models though

MaltonNecromancer
01-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Imperial Guard since 1991 becauseFOR THE EMPEROR!!! is why.

Actually, it's because I hate the idea of swords on the battlefield, and back in the 1st ed. Imperial Army army list, you used to be able to have ten man squads of guardsmen with five lascannons. Five of those squads used to teach everyone exactly why we don't use swords on the battlefield any more. Strength 9, -6 save, 2d6 wounds, eat 25 of those, you chainsword wielding goons and thank me for it! THANK ME FOR IT!!!

*sigh*

I miss those days sometimes... :)

The other reasons are largely (and in no particular order): Ogryns, human bombs, beastman squads (I used to love how they were just an alien race in 1st ed. 40K), Titans (used to have a 25,000 pt Epic Guard army with 12 Warlords and an Imperator. Sold it for £60 back in 2002. I was out of my mind.), and just the fact that humans are awesome because they're not awesome. We have no whizzy powar, we're not a special unique snowflake, we're not magical. We're just us; not special, not unique, not important. We bring nothing flashy, we're not funny; we're dour, and serious, and that really appeals to my sense of individuality. When everyone in your social circle is trying their hardest to be the most special snowflake by having the most "out there" army, the easiest way to be an individual is to have the most down-to-Earth army there is.

I also play marines because of the aesthetics. Marine armour is cool, Bolters are cool, Dreadnoughts are cool. Unless they're Chaos. Can't stand Chaos. They're not scary at all, and they should be.

Also have Dark Eldar (because of my abiding love for Cenobites) Orks (entirely for the Killa Kans - I like robots, and Necrons just don't have enough detail / have goofy faces, so I can't have them), and Tyranids (because I remember the days when Genestealers were terrifying, as well as the glorious release of Advanced Space Crusade and the first plastic Tyranid Warriors. I loved those sculpts then, and I love them now.)

archimbald
01-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Chaos space marines - 5k death guard and Corsairs w. 20 beserkers
chaos space marines - 3ish k Fallen dark angels w. cypher

starting a nid or tau one now. not sure love the nid warriors and the XV9 series battle suit so...

also a few random daemons - pink horrors and plaugebearers

to paint convert and then annilate the foe, but mainly the frst two, tho the fluff for the fallen is scarce but class

Connjurus
01-06-2011, 09:26 PM
The Thousand Sons are Ahriman and a few terminators.

So I pretty much hit the nail on the head with the model count? :p

Not knocking your decision, though - Thousand Sons are by far my favorite Traitor Legion, always have been...I really hope they end up coming out with Traitor Legion-specific codexes, and that they make Ahriman as horrifyingly powerful as he should be i.e. able to wipe the floor with Tigerius without breaking a sweat. I mean, seriously - Chief Librarian of the Thousand Sons since the Horus Heresy, meaning the second most powerful psyker in a legion full of psykers, tempered with 10,000 years worth of knowledge and sorcerous powers.

>:(

/endrant

LemanRussCommander
01-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Chief Librarian of the Thousand Sons since the Horus Heresy, meaning the second most powerful psyker in a legion full of psykers, tempered with 10,000 years worth of knowledge and sorcerous powers.
/endrant

Ohthere Wyrdmake will be avenged!
(Guess you can tell i play wolves) but not any wolves, 13th company. You had me at werewolves in power armor... plus i love the idea and artistic value of using chaos bitz to replace combat damage. I just have this image of a space wolf bending down to pick up a helmet, <Guess you won't be needing that anymore>
But my first love and and all time fav will always be guard, from my very first days of my pewter Cadians in their styrofoam box on the blacktop during recess.

Azrael71
01-06-2011, 09:41 PM
i Have a 12000 Pt. Dark Angels army still going including original minatures. Working with a BA list and DE. enjoy using DA and BA. My friend refers to Mephiston as Edward from twilight.

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
01-06-2011, 09:52 PM
Well, after lots of calculations, i finally added up my army and worked it out to 12,500 points of SoB.
The reason i started them was i loved the look of them, and didnt want to be like others of the time and play another SM chapter.
The style and rules were interesting, and i like being the underdog of battles and winning. I think to date ive still only lost maybe a handful times in all the years since they first came out. I sold my DA army to finance them, and had a APoc sized force even before they brought out the rules for Apocolypse.

Hastily saving every cent i get in a large poster tube for an upcoming release, but alas i dread im going to go over the top and buy everything that's new, increasing my sizeable army further.
But in the end, i guess its worth it to enjoy such a hobby.

Duke
01-06-2011, 10:44 PM
I have about 20k worth of eldar, and about 12k worth of marines between my Luna wolves and blood angels

Duke

Daemonette666
01-07-2011, 01:53 AM
Chaos Space Marines. Mainly Emperor's Children, but with the current codex I expanded in to various legions, and warbands. I love the ability of noise marines to shoot and assault, and their Init 5, combined with doom sirens makes them a very nasty army. I also love painting them in non standard colours (Turquoise and pink, or worm purple and dark Purple).

Next is Sister's but being a Slaanesh fan, I corrupted them, and they are the Sisters of Perfection, who will have a dark black/purple base colour with a lighter lilac accent with gold trim.

Traitor Guard, because I need the artillery, and I wanted to create an army to contrast by using their dull Nurgle browns and rotting greens.

Chaos Daemons, because I can use them for both fantasy and 40K by using magnets on the bases.

Lastly I made an army using BOLS Adeptus Arbites minidex. They are the 501st precinct, 82nd Vraaksian District who had already been corrupted by the local mobsters to look the other way before Chaos took over the planet. They are painted in the dark purple and light purple of some of my emperor's children.

Night System
01-09-2011, 06:40 AM
4000 Points of Exodite Eldar <- LOVE! every unit is a conversion, the modelling oppurtunities are endless, and who doesnt like an army full of dinosaurs?

3500 Points of Doom Legion Space Marines <- Use the blood angels codex, has at last count... 15 vehicles =D who says imperial guard are the best for tread heads?

2000 Points of Orks <- Orks Orks Orks Orks, relatively old project that god revived.

2500 Points of Chaos <- Check out my blog in painting and modelling for more details.

Gir
01-09-2011, 07:55 AM
14000 points of Blood Angels
3000 points of Tau
2500 points of Slaanesh Chaos (Daemons/Marines hybrid)

Cavscout
01-09-2011, 09:52 AM
I started playing SM's during rogue trader in 87. I played until about 93 when a good friend moved. I had just bought a large army of Orcs with those new things called codexes(Big yellow hard book for orcs). We used to play the heck out of Space hulk. I loved genestealers. When my son started to show an interest in 40K (2005) I bought two of the Maccrage starter sets. My son wanted the marines, and I wanted the (new) Tyranids. I now have about 3.5k of Smurfs, 6k of Tyranids, and 2.5k of the new DE. I also play WOC in fantasy. My next army will be traiter guard using lots of fantasy bits to give the models some flavor.
Tyranids will always be my most favorite army.

Daemonette666
01-09-2011, 09:58 AM
I forgot to mention points value. As of last count there are 28,000 points of Chaos Space Marines, 14,000 points of Apocalypse super heavies and Gargantuan creatures, 11,000 points for Daemons, 5,800 points for Sisters of Battle, 3,500 points for Traitor Guard, and 2,500 points for Adeptus Arbites. Roughly 1,300 miniatures.

My other major game I play is Battletech, and I have the equivelant of 2 clan clusters, and 6 regiments of Innerspere forces. Roughly 1,000 miniatures for that gaming format.

MrGiggles
01-09-2011, 04:06 PM
Well, I've got somewhere between 5000 and 6000 points of Orks painted with about 1500 points more in the to paint bin. The Orks are my first army that I started three or four years back after they were introduced to me as 'the Psychic Hippies of the universe'. They seemed goofy and fun even in their old book and the new one has continued the trend. They'll probably always be my main army that I keep adding to.

I also started a Witch Hunters force about a year and a half ago. I started with the oddball Inquisition and Ecclesiastic units and wound up adding Nuns with Gunz because I liked the models. I've at about 1000 points painted at the moment. It's a legal army, which is nice, but there's not a whole lot to it yet. I've one Rhino done and I've a couple more on order.

My friends and I are planning a 13th Company army in the next couple of years too. We figure we can make it a pretty nice looking army and go from there.

Realistically, my friends are probably the main reason I haven't wound up with more armies. I pretty much like to paint whatever and tend to grab things to paint. The nice thing is that I can paint and find homes for Space Marines, Chaos Space Marines, Imperial Guard, Necrons, Tau, Eldar and Chaos Daemons in addition to my own armies. Kind of handy.

david5th
01-10-2011, 01:07 PM
12,000 points + Ultramarines Battle company.

Now beginning a IG army based on the Ultramar PDF.

DarkLink
01-10-2011, 03:56 PM
~3000 points of Grey Knights, with ~1250points of allied Sisters. And ~2000 points of eldar I managed to pick up for cheap.

I think it won't be long before a whole lot more people stary playing GKs. I kinda like being very unique:(. New codex more than makes up for that, though.

jumai
01-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Word Bearers: Acolyte of the 109th Host reporting

http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/photopost/data/659/medium/WB_Acolyte_2.jpg
(the chaos star has sadly fallen off his Accursed Crozius)

Also Beastmen, who double as Summoned Lesser Daemons.

The Madman
01-11-2011, 06:46 PM
Six thousand points of Lorgar's Chosen, the Word Bearers.
i have another 1500pts and a warhound in progress HERE. (http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=7741)

*shameless self-promotion*

...what?

Coronasan
01-14-2011, 02:56 PM
Just repainted my old Blood Angels...

Also have a load of old Orks, Eldar and Tyranids to salvage from the loft.

Before that I may work up a Demonhunters army using old Warzone models...maybe...

doom-kitten
02-13-2011, 11:19 PM
Currently running 1500 pts SoB with no Inquistion models. So far they've done well about 70% of time I win, orks being my nemesis despite the amount of flamers.

Archduke
02-14-2011, 01:29 AM
I play my 1850 IG list because tanks are cool and planes are cooler so why not have both. Plus I do field a platoon along with the mech because autocannons are good answers to alot of problems.

Morgan Darkstar
02-15-2011, 03:07 PM
Started collecting 40k in february 2009 so far i have colected and painted

3500pts Space Marines "Stormgiants"
3500pts Tyranids "Splinter Fleet Cerberus"
3000pts Tau
2000pts Imperial Guard "Cadian 12th Urban Assault Division"
500pts Dark Eldar

Next on the agenda Orks and maybe another Marine army ether SW or BA then Necrons

on a slightly Different note

Bretonians 2000pts
Warriors of Chaos 10000pts+

and no i dont want to think how much I have spent lol:)

GremlinGSP
02-15-2011, 04:46 PM
4-5k Black Templar

not allot but I'm on my second pass at them. I keep re-doing them as I get better at painting. A project to convert greyknight terminators into regular BT termys took a long time. There's allot of bits to grind off of those GK termies.

2000pts Eldar

I started with Black Templar right before the trial assault rules from 3rd.

As my brother told me if I'm not crusading then somethings wrong. I have a love hate relationship with my BT. I love their style and fluff but they seems to hate me on the table at times. Needless to say I lost a teams tournament because a crusader squad failed a zeal test and fell off an objective(lost 1 guy). Even had the Emperor's Champ in with them.

gwensdad
02-15-2011, 05:28 PM
I got too much and not enough time to play

1st & 3rd companies White Scars
About 5000 pts Guard
About 2000 pts Inquisition
working on painting about 3000 pts CSM
Need to look at my orks sometimes and figure out what I have there.

I large % of my stuff is OLDER minis.

Divergent Reality
02-16-2011, 10:03 AM
I play Necrons.

My one and only 40k army.

they are a blast to play even with the limitations of the older codex in the 5th edition landscape.

fuzbuckle
02-16-2011, 10:33 AM
I started with Grey Knights and got bored with them so I sold them and moved on to Codex Marines of which I have about 2K worth of models and have recently started a Tau army which just feels like "home" to me. I wish I would have went with my gut in the beginning instead of looking at stat lines. Oh well, here's to a long a fruitful relationship with the Tau empire.

Fellend
02-16-2011, 10:41 AM
Fellends Crusade stands at a mighty 7000 points of Black Templar.

I just love everything about the Black Templar, they are Crusaders, in space! With chainswords! Their solution to any problem is to visciously murder it.
I was originally going to start playing Dark Elves for WFB, but they kept telling me to wait untill the new codex came out. Every time I went in to GW, I saw the cover of the Black Templar codex and eventually I just had to play them. They represent everything I think is great about the 40k world. Faith, Zeal and Honor!

As a side project just to avoid the endless Marine on Marine matches I have 1000 points of Eldar

Wolf Brother Hellstrom
02-22-2011, 11:38 PM
Started in third edition with Dark Eldar ( big mistake) about 2k or so
Then started to collect Chaos Space Marine and got that up to about 4-5k
Also got collected about 3k of Grey Knights then sold them
Started working for GW and sold my CSM for Space Wolves
Gave my DE to a 12 year old Noob(needed the karma lol)
Currently Built my wolves to 6k
Also was given about 5k orcs (Allen you da man!)
And just start-you guessed it- Dark Eldar again. I got a thing for assault armies

Isnt funny how we come full circle!

Next Army will prob be Tau or Nids

Praise Russ!!