PDA

View Full Version : 1500 IG, Scouts madness

ElCheezus
01-05-2011, 12:30 PM
I have too much free time at work, so I keep churning out lists. Here's another for the site's edification.

CCS 3x Melta in a Chimera: 135
Creed: 90

Melta Troopers in a Chimera: 160
Melta Troopers in a Chimera: 160

Plasma Vets: 115
Plasma Vets: 115
Plasma Vets in a Chimera: 170

Vendetta: 130
Vendetta: 130
Hellhound: 130

LR Demolisher: 165

Total: 1500

I've never really given Creed too much thought, as he was really expensive. Reading another list got me to thinking what he's capable of. I decided to try to take advantage of all he has to offer in this list.

There are five units that have Scouts. The Vendettas come with it, Creed gives it to the Demolisher, and the Stormtroopers can choose it from their options. The Melta troopers have a 32" melta threat range turn one, the Vendettas can get the plasma vets within 12", and the Demolisher will actually have a chance to be useful, instead of sitting in the back and desperately trying to get into range. The Hellhound is fast and can follow behind, plus it has a long-range template, so it should be able to engage right away.

Creed comes in handy even more with his extra orders and longer range. Both Troopers and the plasma Vets will be disembarked, in range of the enemy and ready to receive orders.

Sadly, this army reall, really, really wants to go first. It can accomplish much the same in the second turn, though. I just need to remember to be cautious against asault armies, or I'll walk right into their range before getting to fire.

I'm open to critique.

Dark_Crozius
01-07-2011, 05:48 PM
Nice list. I realy like the using Creed to make the demolisher scout, works alot better than the banewolf i use (shall be buying a demolisher soon as i can)

Only advice i can give is maybe try and squeese a astropath in so that if you don't get first turn you can turn the 'scout army' into an 'outflank army'

ElCheezus
01-07-2011, 05:57 PM
That's a very good point, with the outflank. I kind of have a different gameplan, though. I never outflank Vendettas, because I don't want to miss turns of firing with them. The Troopers will deepstrike instead of outflank, since they can take the option to reroll their scatter. The Demolisher will probably just scout anyway. In the past, I've had trouble getting it into range soon enough to engage the enemy, so even 6 + D6" will help.

Plus, everything is pretty barebones as-is, and I don't know where I'd find points. Heck, I had to take the sponsons off the Vendettas, which I love, to make the list fit 1500. If I went above 1500, though, I'll definitely keep that in mind.

ElCheezus
01-17-2011, 09:44 AM
Now, I just realized that if I want a S 10 AP 2 large blast, I could also use the Medusa. The difference is 30 points, which also happens to be what an Astropath costs. So, I could switch the Demolisher for a Medusa. I'd gain the option to outflank/reserve everything (I wouldn't outflank without an Astropath). I'd also gain 12" on the range of my painfully large blast, and range is one of the problems I always had with a Demolisher. I'd lose the AV 14 threat that would be "all up ons" my opponent.

I actually consider this a tough choice. The main gameplan of this list is to be painfully aggressive on turn 1. Part of that is this nice, threatening piece of heavy armor that pulls a lot of fire. While the Medusa maintains or even gains a little on the offensive side, it loses a lot of durability vs a Russ chassis, plus it's open-topped.

On the other hand, I gain a whole other option for my army's deployment. If the CCS, the Vets in a Chimera, and the Hellhound either start of the board or sufficiently hidden, they can hold the middle. Since most of the outflanking units have decent range, they should be able to threaten almost anything that's not pretty well centered. Then again, as I said above, the Vendettas don't really need to outflank to be effective, the Stormies can deepstrike, and a Medusa wouldn't be very threatening coming off a board edge.

Do you folks think this change is worth it? Is gaining outflanking consistency worth losing the field presence of a LR Demolisher, especially one that Scouts and gets in your face quickly?

The other thought is that if I drop the Demolisher for a Medusa, I don't gain near as much by taking Creed, since it has much more range. If I "downgraded" to a Medusa and dropped Creed, I'd have 120 points. Any thoughts on a good unit to take instead?