PDA

View Full Version : Tactics for a 1500pt Air Cav army list

sneakyben
01-04-2011, 03:59 PM
Peoples,

I have the following 1500pt Air Cav guard list and I was wondering if I could get some hints and tips on how to wield it in interesting/effective ways...
(please include any fun things that would work only 1 in 50 times but are fun to try)

I am used to gun-lining things and the concept of mobility throws me comepletely

I will face typically hoardy-orks... balanced guard... tanky-guard... balanced ultramarines... and CC chaos marines...

PLEASE please PLEASE don't suggest unit changes or any thing like that...
The list is the list... It looks pretty on the table and it comprises of models I own and have painted, so it ain't changing
I just need some ideas for what to actually do in a game, so I can get to the end of turn 6 at least occasionally

1500pt Army list :

2x primaris psykers

1x inf platoon with 1x HQ with power fist, commisar, a melta, medic, vox; and 2x squads with vox, a melta and commisar with power fist

1x vets squadwith 3x plasmaguns

2x storm troopers squads (each with 10x stormies with flamer and g-launcher)

3x valkyires with big missles (to ship the inf platoon and 1x psyker)

1x valk with rocket pods (to ship the vets and 1x psyker)

w7west
01-04-2011, 04:03 PM
step1: dont fall asleep

step2: dont forget your shooting phase

step3: you win.

WereWolf_nr
01-04-2011, 04:24 PM
Minor nitpick: Inf squad sgts and their commissars can't take power fists only power swords.

Try swapping one of the psykers for a company command squad and take an astropath to help you get your Valkyries/Vendettas outflank. I would say take 2 but they FAQ'd that.

sneakyben
01-04-2011, 05:08 PM
Minor nitpick: Inf squad sgts and their commissars can't take power fists only power swords.

good spot! thanks...sorted

ElCheezus
01-04-2011, 05:48 PM
More information needed:

How are the Valks squadded up? You've got 4 of them with three Fast Attack slots. Two of them have to be in a squadron.

What are you changes after realising the infantry squad can't take power fists?

Shadoq
01-04-2011, 11:44 PM
If I may ask, why Valks and not Vendettas?
Looks like you're missing good long range firepower...

WereWolf_nr
01-05-2011, 12:10 AM
If I may ask, why Valks and not Vendettas?
Looks like you're missing good long range firepower...

Unless the list has a melta veteran squad or a melta SWS I would recommend a vendetta or two. Otherwise you may find yourself short of anti-tank ability.

Since it got brought up, I should point out that while you do have 3 or so meltaguns in the army, they aren't concentrated so at best you still only have a 50% chance to hit any given target or else having all your squads ganging up on one vehicle. If you did 3x melta vets you would have (an average of) 2 hits each time you fired. A much better chance of killing your target.

Shadoq
01-05-2011, 12:31 AM
Again, not trying to change your list but I've found that melta is best kept in the hands of a company command squad or Al Rahem's PCS. Find the biggest, most expensive target and ram those melta guns down it's throat with Bring It Down! Perhaps it is just me, but I seem to be cursed by melta vet squads that roll two misses and only 1 hit.

sneakyben
01-05-2011, 01:21 AM
to answer all the points so far:

these are the models i have... and I don't have the time or money or inclination to convert/repaint/change them...

I will look at grouping the meltas together...

for the commisars, I re-arranged them in the squads and swapped one with another list I have so the list is now legal... the army structure remains the same

I was going to do 1 squadron of 3 valks (for the 3 inf platoon squads) and a sperate 1 for the vets squad

thanks guys