PDA

View Full Version : Bolter barrel suppesor/extension

Brotherjames
01-03-2011, 04:32 PM
I wanted to make my tactical marines stand out more and i've seen a couple of folks make the bolter barrels longer and want to know what materials to use?

Mystery.Shadow
01-03-2011, 09:30 PM
Cut the barrels off, and replace them with teeny-tiny plastic tubing.
http://www.polymernanotube.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/plastic-tubing.jpg
You should be able to find various sizes of plastic tubing at any hobby/craft center.

chromedog
01-04-2011, 01:07 AM
I use BRASS tube, around 0.8mm and one a bit larger (the smaller just fits into the larger).

Drill a hole into the bolter (0.8mm bit) carefully.
Cut a short length of brass tube (razor saw). You only need around 10mm length.
Glue into hole in barrel.
Cut similar length of larger diameter tube. Slide onto other tube. Apply a small drop or two of superglue down the open muzzle.

Et voila. Suppressed bolter.

fuzzbuket
01-04-2011, 04:21 AM
plasticard tube buy a mixed bag and youll have everything from tiny cabels to autocannon scilencers :D

my rule of thumb for supressoors is use something slightly larger than the actuall barrel then stick next to it

http://tacticalgunsandgear.com/firearm_sales/images/Silencer.jpg

motie the silencer does NOT replace the muzzel rather sit on top (or next) to it!

shrike
01-04-2011, 06:46 AM
This could really work for my raven guard- thanks!
how many mm should they be?
1?
0.75?
.5?

fuzzbuket
01-04-2011, 06:54 AM
id reckon 2MM for a regular bolter thats the width i used for my smurf sniper/vet

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt339/fuzzbuket/DSCN4921.jpg

(^shameless self promotion)
-fuzz

mstingray
01-04-2011, 02:43 PM
I think sergeant Telion is supposed to have a suppressor on his bolter, here's a link:
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1500002

shrike
01-05-2011, 01:23 PM
One of my first mini's was a tactical marine who had his bolter up at his shoulder, looking through a scope. Just put this on it- sniper SM!!!
I'll be buying a 2mm rod next week-ish.:D

BDub
01-05-2011, 10:46 PM
Why would you want to silence The Holy Song of the Emperor's Fury?

shrike
01-06-2011, 01:44 PM
practicality?
try raiding an enemy base and eliminating the sentries with a not-silenced boltgun. Not easy.:D

shrike
01-22-2011, 05:56 AM
id reckon 2MM for a regular bolter thats the width i used for my smurf sniper/vet

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt339/fuzzbuket/DSCN4921.jpg

(^shameless self promotion)
-fuzz

dude, no way is that thing 2mm. I bought about 5 30cm plasticard 2mm rods, and they were the width of the bolter barrel. I've spent £4 of my money on that, and they're not the right size. Thanks. I'm off to buy some 3.5mm ones.:mad:

fuzzbuket
01-22-2011, 05:59 AM
oops sorry i wasnt too sure about the width as i bought a mixed bag.

p.s. all plasticard rod is useful: rivits, shells, details , ect, ect.

Duke
01-22-2011, 09:25 AM
after watching Ultramarines all I can say is that even a silenced Bolter is still probably pretty loud.

Duke

gcsmith
01-22-2011, 09:32 AM
Marines use silence bolters??? Well at least Black Templars arnt cowedly enough to do that, I mean if you need to kill someone quietly, chuck the bolter at them.
If inquisitor has taught me anything is that a thrown bolter does loads more damage than a shot.

Or just crush them with the marines superior strength.

shrike
01-22-2011, 04:00 PM
I forgive you, but in future, say "I think...". I'd have bought it anyway, but I wouldn't of gotten mad if you'd have told me that.
I'll keep them anyway, you never know...
and 3mm ones will be bought soon...after I buy...some assault marines...and a stormraven...and some shoulder pads...so a while away yet.:D

shrike
02-06-2011, 08:53 AM
Marines use silence bolters???
well, in the fluff they use gas-propelled bolters, basically silent, but this looks better on the model.

Lord Korven
02-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Marines use silence bolters??? Well at least Black Templars arnt cowedly enough to do that, I mean if you need to kill someone quietly, chuck the bolter at them.
If inquisitor has taught me anything is that a thrown bolter does loads more damage than a shot.

Or just crush them with the marines superior strength.

I wouldn't consider anyone using a silencer to be cowardly, thats being smart if anything. And its all about tactics. Black Templars are on the other end of the tactics spectrum than Raven Guard are.

Good luck with your silenced bolters. I would actually like to see some pics of those when finished!

Lord Korven

gcsmith
02-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Theres no need for silenced bolters tho, and besides when u drop pod assault silence is a bit out :p

but I hope they come out well.

HarlekissofDeath
02-06-2011, 01:21 PM
Combat knife?

FastEd
02-07-2011, 05:14 AM
Good looking smurf, I like the drum mag especially.

As far as the silencer talk goes, it would actually be an extended barrel for increased pressure and accuracy since it's the bolt rounds that are actually silenced. Touched on a little in a couple of other posts in the thread, but...

Stalker Silenced Shells are rounds with low sound signatures, meant for covert fighting and used in conjunction with an M40 targeting system and an extended barrel on a bolter to produce a sniping weapon system. A solidified mercury slug replaces the mass-reactive warhead for lethality at sub-sonic projectile speed. A gas cartridge also replaces both the propellant base and main charge for silent firing.

Stalker pattern bolter is a little bit of a misnomer when used in the codex under Telion's entry, since it's actually just a long barreled bolter firing Stalker pattern rounds. The question is whether or not the gas propellant functions by merely expanding throughout the firing chamber, or if it's ignited as well in which case you the barrel would likely be a flash suppressor as well, though still not require a sound baffle since it still shouldn't be any louder then a paintball gun.

shrike
02-09-2011, 03:22 PM
I'll post pics when I'm done, but I'm gonna buy some other stuff first...
here's my army so far:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ConnorMarrs39/20110129?authkey=Gv1sRgCKDB5YiqhPF1#
and here's the fluff:
http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/User%3Ashrike

Ordo Mechanicus
02-12-2011, 06:28 PM
Personally I thought Marines didn't 'raid' anything, they just 'quell' rebellion, meaning supress uprisings of and/or destroy any anti-imperium/heretical organisations. Also meaning if a Space Marine Strike Cruiser appears (God Emperor forbid a Battle Barge appears!:cool::D), then I think people would be aware of the space marine presence.

So basically the enemy would know your arrival before deployment and the use of silenced bolters would be redundant.:confused:

FastEd
02-12-2011, 10:35 PM
Not so much. Marines don't always arrive via marine spacecraft, nor do they always go in guns blazing. There are times when a mission may require the theft/retrieval of an artifact, item, data, or person without alerting an entire city to their presence. Alternatively, they may go into a location to just destroy a single thing, a chaos titan under repair is the first thing that comes to my mind, then leave. Marines certainly aren't always in it for the long run, in fact they are mainly elite tactical units functioning more on the scale they did in first or second edition, with 4-10 men and maybe a transport, then they are an army fielded en mass.