PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Guard 1500 Air Cav

RedWidow
12-30-2010, 10:29 AM
This list is built with what I own already. Just hoping to get a bit of input. Company command and platoons 1&2 will be mounted in Vendettas. Platoon 3 will be combined and used to hold a single point or tie up a chosen unit. (First rank Fire! Second rank Fire!) Will outflank the vendettas when the situation is appropriate.

Company Command Squad w/meltagun

Infantry platoon
Platoon Command w/meltagun
2 x Infantry Squad w/meltagun

Infantry platoon
Platoon Command w/meltagun
2 x Infantry Squad w/meltagun
3 x Infantry Squad (combined)

Vendetta

3 x Vendetta w/heavy bolter door gunners

3 x Vendetta w/heavy bolter door gunners

Comments/criticism please.

Slight modification! My apologies

ElCheezus
12-30-2010, 10:53 AM
7 Vendettas at 1500? A wise man once told me not to squadron vehicles until all your FOC slots were full, and I consider it good advice. When Squadroned, you can take a lot more damage since you have to distribute the damage, and since the unit becomes ridiculously easy to shoot at. And, of course, immobilised means wrecked.

Your points are adding up to 1470 for me, are there more meltaguns in there than you list?

Air Cav, to me, usually means putting Veterans with a doctrine in a Vendetta/Valk and dropping them off where they can do a lot of damage. The way you have it set up with Infantry platoons, they don't be doing much damage at all, plus the Vendettas will be close enough to assault.

Before I comment more and suggest a serious rewrite of the list, how has it performed on the table? That many Vendettas is pretty scary, and maybe that's enough for the opposition that you usually run across.

RedWidow
12-30-2010, 11:15 AM
Building the models as we speak (progress will be posted here (http://unluckywargamer.blogspot.com)) so not sure about the tabletop performance. I am hoping that the large amount of Vendettas will present a challenge for opponents at this point level. I also made a minor change to the list just a moment ago as 3 combined squads seems more useful to me than the extra platoon...

Also, be aware that the 2k version of this list would simply change my troops over to the traditional vets w/doctrine. It just did not fit the way I wanted to at 1500...so standard troops w/meltas should be a reasonable substitute while still allowing for the Vendettas. Not sure if this will be the case, and I really want to hear what people predict for the list..

In the end I will compare performance on the table to comments/suggestions/criticism gained here and try to improve my play and the list based on all of it.

ElCheezus
12-30-2010, 11:33 AM
So, the problem with squadrons is that one unit can take down multiple vehicles since they're a unit. That's really only a problem against something that's going to hit you a lot. This could be Hydras, Eldar War Walkers, DakkaFexes. Most importantly, this will be a problem when they get assaulted, since there are that many more attacks. With air cav, especially, you'll be close enough for that to happen unless you hang back and just shoot most of the game.

When it comes to Infantry Squads compared to Vets, the problme is that the Infantry platoon can't really do much. They have BS 3 instead of 4, and can only take one special weapon instead of 3. So they're basically less than 1/3 as effective, but still cost more than half what the Vets would. (50 pt squad + 10 pt Melta vs 70 pt Vets with 30 in meltas: 60 vs 100) Platoons really shine when you combine the units, add Commissars and power weapons, and go aggressive and assaulty. Sadly, that keeps them out of transports.

Now, there's a compromise in there, actually. Run a power blob with Commissars and PWs, and put the Special Weapons Squads in the Vendettas. They're cheap and can take 3 special weapons.

Ultimately, my opinion is that squadrons are a bad idea at this level, even with such awesome vehicles as Vendettas. Also, with that many points into the same thing, the rest of your army ends up pretty under-powered and one-dimensional.

If you want to stick with tons of Vendettas, I'd suggest trying 3 squads of 2 and putting SWS in them while having power blobs on foot. That feels like a compromise with what you're going for and adds some beef to the rest of your list. As I said before, though, it's possible that that many Vendettas could just overpower an opponent, so you might have the right Meta for it.

RedWidow
12-30-2010, 12:46 PM
Wow again...never considered special weapon squads in the Vendettas... That is a very good idea...
However, to make it work, I wind up having to use Valkyries instead of Vendettas (which is ok I guess) and look kinda like this:

Company Command Squad

3 Infantry platoons w/
Command Squad
2 x troop squad
2 x special weapon squad w/3 melta

2 Valkyries w/heavy bolter sponsons

Alternatively I could go with:

Lord Commissar w/power weapon plasma pistol

6 vet squads w/2 melta 1 flamer

6 vendettas w/heavy bolters