PDA

View Full Version : Jetbike Turboboosting

somerandomdude
12-29-2010, 06:16 PM
Hey everyone, I've got a quick question about jetbikes. All the pieces are there, I'm just trying to decipher them.

Can jetbikes land in difficult terrain during a turboboost move?

According to the turboboost rule, when turboboosting, bikes cannot move through difficult terrain (as well as a few other things).

According to the jetbike rules, jetbikes can move over all terrain freely, and when ending their move in difficult terrain they take a dangerous terrain test.

So, the question is, can you "end" your move in terrain, while still not moving "through" terrain?

justsam
12-29-2010, 06:25 PM
going on RAI, i'd think not. in turboboosting, you're putting everything you have into moving as far and as fast as you can go, and i can't think you'd want to chance hurling into a concrete pillar at nearly the speed of sound. RAW might be another story, though.

thecactusman17
12-30-2010, 04:15 AM
It says it right there in your post. Jetbikes may move through all terrain freely. They don't have the "no terrain" rules that ground-based bikes do.

SeattleDV8
12-30-2010, 05:25 AM
Although they can move though (over)terrain, if they start or end their movement in terrain they have to take a Dangerous terrain test.
Tubro-boosting does not allow you to move though terrain.
By ending your move in terrain you would be breaking the turbo-boost rules.

Daemonette666
12-30-2010, 06:09 AM
On the turn you turbo boost with Jet Bikes, they can go "over" terrain, as they actually do not enter it. As long as you do not start from or end up in difficult terrain. Also you must travel in a straight line, move a minimum of 18" from your start point and can not fire weapons, or assault during the turn in which you turbo boosted.

The 3+ cover save should be better than a 4+ cover save from being in difficult / area terrain.

lobster-overlord
12-30-2010, 08:32 AM
On the turn you turbo boost with Jet Bikes, they can go "over" terrain, as they actually do not enter it. As long as you do not start from or end up in difficult terrain. Also you must travel in a straight line, move a minimum of 18" from your start point and can not fire weapons, or assault during the turn in which you turbo boosted.

The 3+ cover save should be better than a 4+ cover save from being in difficult / area terrain.

You don't have to move in a straight line... just that the 18 inch minimum point is measured from start to finish as a straight line for minimum purposes (meaning you can't do donuts in place to count as turbo boosting to achieve the bonus, but not actually have moved anywhere substantial) You can still curve your path, but it has to be around terrain. If you move 24, but 6 inches of that was around a piece of terrain, then you are good to go, as long as point A and point B are at least 18 inches from one another.

DarkLink
12-30-2010, 01:07 PM
And you don't have to actually move a minimum of 18", either. You just don't get a cover save if you move less than 18".

somerandomdude
12-30-2010, 01:12 PM
So, turboboosting jetbikes can not end their move in terrain?

Daemonette, I'm not asking because I want to get a cover save from being in area terrain, I'm asking because I want to be able to access certain areas of the board (objectives, for instance) or use certain rules that need me to go to a specific area (Bladevanes for Dark Eldar Reavers).

dannyat2460
12-30-2010, 01:59 PM
I Would say no they cant end there turn in terain i say this as even tho they are ending there turn there they are still moving through it it the movement phase so as per the turbo boost rule, no go

DarkLink
12-30-2010, 09:04 PM
Can't start or end in terrain, no. Jetbikes, however, do ignore intervening terrain, so as long as your start and end points are not in terrain you can move everywhere. Regular bikes can't hop over terrain, though.

BuFFo
12-31-2010, 03:10 AM
You can surely start and/or end your movement in Terrain if you Turbo Boost with a jetbike. I don't see any reason you cannot. Been doing it since 5th came out and in all forms of tourneys and friendly games. This 'issue' has never came up once. This is the first time I am aware of it.

You move 'over terrain' during your movement as a jet bike. You cannot move through terrain during the movement anyway since it isn't even possible.

During the move your bike fly over terrain and cannot go 'through' terrain, which only means you don't have the option of rolling dangerous terrain tests while moving. When you end your move, you end your move. Now, you have to roll DTT for starting or ending your move in terrain because before and after your move, you are in terrain, but during the move you aren't.

Also, you can Turbo Boost 2" if you want. The only benefit you get is immunity to being pinned.

ElCheezus
12-31-2010, 11:58 AM
Since I like to do my homework, I just looked at the rules as written on this, and I really can't agree with you, Buffo.

First off, Turbo-boosters are the exact same for regular bikes as jetbikes. It's a USR that doens't differentiate between the two. The relevant line is "Controlling their bike at such speeds takes all their concentration and skill, however, so they may not move through difficult terrain, shoot, launch assaults or move in any other phase in the same turn." I would expect there to be a note here, allowing Jetbikes to perform differently. This is a permissive ruleset, as some people like to say.

Jet bikes, jump packs, and skimmer vehicles are not allowed to "hover" over terrain after their movement. Ending the movement on top of terrain basically means you have to enter the terrain to land, which incurrs the dangerous terrain test. They have to move into the terrain, which sounds like breaking the restriction to me.

It looks like your agument comes down to wether "into" counts as "through." Since the game is based off of english words without clear definitions, however, it leaves a lot of wiggle room for arguments like this.

karandras
01-02-2011, 09:37 AM
I have been a Saim-hann player since 3rd edition and must agree with ElCheezus on this. I have never attempted to turbo-boost jetbikes into difficult terrain as the turbo-boost USR specifically forbids it. Certainly though you can move your 12" and then use the assault phase to move your 6" and into difficult terrain with either and or both of those moves - incurring dangerous terrain tests of course - giving you an 18" threat range to contest objectives without the need to turbo-boost.