PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Point Super-Heavy Tournament list

SotonShades
12-29-2010, 02:33 PM
Hey guys. In february I'm entered in to a 40k Superheavy tournament. Basicly, it's 2000 points, normal force organisation chart and you are allowed to have a single superheavy (in fact, you also get tournament points for having one, roughly equivolent of a win). Flyers are also allowed, but my only flyer is sitting in a store cabinet a few hundred miles away.

So without further ado, my 2000 points Armoured Battlegroup (IA1 list);

HQ
• Leman Russ Vanquisher Command Tank 230 Points
Vanquisher Battlecannon with co-axial Storm Bolter, Hull Mounted Lascannon, Sponson Heavy Bolters and Dozerblade. Ace Gunner.

Elites
• Leman Russ Battle Tank 190 Points
Battle Cannon, Hull Mounted Heavy Bolter, Sponson Heavy Bolters and Dozer Blade. Battle Hardened Crew.

Troops
Battle Cannon, Hull Mounted Heavy Bolter, Sponson Heavy Bolters and Dozer Blade. Ace Gunner.

Battle Cannon, Hull Mounted Heavy Bolter, Sponson Heavy Bolters and Dozer Blade. Ace Gunner.

• Armoured Fist Squad 115 Points
Sergeant and 8 Guardsmen with Lasguns, 1 Guardsman with Flamer, 1 Chimera with a Turret mounted Heavy Flamer and Hull Mounted Heavy Bolter. Skilled Driver.

Fast Attack
• Armoured Sentinel 81 Points
With Missile Launcher and Hunter Killer Missile. Night Fighter.

• Vendetta Gunship 140 Points
Ace Gunner.

Super Heavy
• Minotaur 290 Points
Enclosed Crew Compartment.

Total Points; 1996

Ace Gunner gives the vehicle Tank Hunter USR (+10 points)
Battle Hardenned Crew allows the vehicle to ignore Crew Stunned on a roll of 4+ (+10 points)*
Skilled Driver allows the vehicle to re-roll the dice for crossing difficult ground (+5 Points)
Night Fighters allows the vehicle to re-roll the dice to determine how far they can see using the night fight special rules (+5 points)

*I chose this skill based more on the fluff for this particular tank than its ability in a game.

Basic premise, smallest superheavy so can have as many other guns as possible. So what do you guys think?

Xas
12-29-2010, 07:10 PM
Do you want honest feedback? On the premise that you are presenting this for list-optimization (as there is no fluff given by you to comply by) I'll give it to you.

I think you have no chance against any other competitive list that is designed with the rules in mind.

Allowing super-heavy vehicles and even giving points for just including one will mean everyone will field one.
This in turn means everyone will know that they need enough anti-tank to deal with a normal 1500pts list + a baneblade equivalent.

Your list falls flat on its face because of four reasons:

First with an armored company consisting of 9 vehicles and one 2 SP superheavy you directly fall into the "prey" of all list optimization.

Second your own antitank is VERY limited.you have a total of 3 models that can put hurt on AV14 vehicles and one of them has a limiting minimum range and the other is a comparably paper-thin airplane.

Third you dont have any anti-air capability to speak of (1 HK missile on the sentinel). This is the easiest to rectefy as all you ahve to do is take out one unit and give ALL vehicles Hunterkiller missiles (counting as pintle moutned means they hit air on normal BS).

Last but not least you have one scoring troop choice only protected by a paper-thin metal bunker. This might be a non issue if you already know about special scenarios that do not need infantry-troops but you didnt write anything about that.

I#d go back to the drawing board and heavily redesign the list. The minotaur itself is a neat idea but if you just take it to "save points" I'd suggest you use that points to maximum effect and go dodge the common "counter lists" by including allmost no other vehicles. let their 20 meltas go to waste and shoot them off the board with a ton of infantry based firepower (deepstriking stormtroopers with meltaguns can put the hurt even on titans). You might want to change it to a baneblade as they have an upgrade that gives your guardsmen LDS10 in 6 or 12" around the baneblade. this would allow you to take 2 CCS and issue 4 times "bring it down" (6 if you include creed and then you can outflank a squad of meltavets) to lascannon squads for some serious firepower.

If you want to stay with tanks I'd say you need at least 4-5 vanquishers with as much of them BS4 as possible and the ace-skill that lets you shoot twice if you stay immobile.

Just think that you could face things as dangerous/powerfull as a reaver titan (chaos version even more deadlier as it ignores gun-shaken!). with dual laserblasters and possibly even a vortex missile you will need every bit of anti-tank you can get (a few normal leman russ battletanks are good as well as s8 ordnance is good enough to bring shields down but not to hurt av14).

What I'd suggest is at least 1 squad of hydras (2-3 vehicles) and 2 valkyries (not vendettas as valkyries can be bought as real fliers) with 2 squads of trimeltavets to have something that can survive the destroyer barrage (tempaltes cant hit air) and strike back really hard.

ElCheezus
12-30-2010, 10:11 AM
In addition to being the "prey" of all the anti-tank that'll be brought, LR front AV 14 doesn't protect from being assaulted. Once you get charged by anything, you're only looking at the same survivability as a Chimera. If you had a wall or two of power blobs to block charges, that'd be one thing, but I imagine an Ork player mutli-assaulting three LRs on turn two (or even one) and then that's game for you.

I think a great idea is Melta Stormtoopers in a Chimera. If you get first turn, their melta threat range is 32.9"ish with their scout move and disembark. A CCS can follow behind on turn one and be in range for orders as well, making them one hell of a suicide unit. I take two so I can threaten two directions and prevent the opponent just deploying to avoid it. If you don't have first turn, you can outflank or deepstrike them depending on how the field looks.

Other than that, I'd probably just design a regular all-comers list and pick a super-heavy that compliments it. For example my 1500pt IG list has a weakness against horde, since I gear a little too toward anti-mech. I'd make sure to pick a heavy that has capabilities that cover my weakness.