PDA

View Full Version : 1750 IG Mech+Al Tourny List

TireeWebb
12-27-2010, 10:04 AM
The goal is to have all Mech on the table to start than bring in Al and friends in their deployment zone.

-Deployed group-
Company Command Squad w/ Chimera - 2 x plasma guns - Chimera - Astropath

Psyker Battle squad 6 + overseer w/ Chimera

Leman Russ Demolisher w/Lascannon

Leman Russ Battle Tank w/Lascannon

Vendetta
w/ Vets 3x Melta guns and Shotgun Demolitions

-Outflank/Reserves-

Al'rahem PCS w/ 3 x melta guns w/ Chimera
30 blob infantry w/ Commissar PW 2x sergents w/ PW and Melta Bombs 1x Flamer
SWS w/ 2x flamers and Demo charge
Vendetta w/ SWS inside

Vets w/ 3 x Plasma and Harker

Marbo

The army can be deployed in a variety of structures. Harker could also outflank if needed. I enjoy the fact that since the SWS is in a vendetta the bird gets placed in Al's reserve roll giving me one large lump of goodness.

ElCheezus
12-27-2010, 11:42 AM
Yeah, drop the Officer of the Fleet. He actually seems to get in the way, letting your opponent bring in reserves later to claim objectives. While having the opponent come in piecemeal is good for Annihilation, it's bad for objective based missions. Alas, if he could just disrupt their outflanking, that would be something worth taking.

Your PBS has one too many Psykers in it. Six Psykers lets you wound a vast majority of infantry on 2+, and reduces even Ld 10 low enough to usually make them run. You can argue for eight Psykers so you can IK multi-wound models and ignore FNP, but I think that's too situational, myself. Either way, seven is one too few or one too many.

I don't usually like the thought of outflanking Vendettas. I never see the point, personally. If they're on the table, they can fire sooner and help take out big targets before they hurt. If you want to get side shots more easily, turbo boost with your Scouts move and you can achieve nearly the same thing.

I think BS 3 isn't good enough for Plasmas, and I'd suggest Meltas in Al'rahem's unit. He can issue Bring it Down, so it's entirely possible to outflank and take out a vehicle his first turn on the board.

The Manticore feels out of place here. You've got an aggressive first wave, with your deployed group and a Demolisher which will have to roll forward. The only units that could keep the Manticore company in the backfield are the Vendettas, and they might want to be close enough to pick up a stray unit and zoom for a score. Basically, it's the only long range element you have, when you already have two other elements that have more focus. It can even be a negative for your list, since you'll be very in-your-face and stand a lot to lose from a stray shot. It'll auto-pen your tanks on a direct hit, threaten them on a partial, and ignores the armor on you infantry. You can take those points and bolster the forward aspect of your deployed forces.

What I think this list should focus on: mech front line and infantry outflankers. Start with just armor on the table, and have everything that outflanks be on foot. Then, you can use your guns in the first couple turns to focus on anti-infantry elements, letting your blob come in and clean up the rest without being seriously threatened.

That's my (far more than) two cents. Let me know if any of that makes sense.

TireeWebb
12-27-2010, 01:39 PM
Peer review FTW. Thank you for a thoughtful reply to my list. I've updated the list to fit the theme better. The Manticore is an old staple of my previous non Al army's and doesn't sit well in this list. I think i can compromise w/ starting the melta vets Vendetta on the table and still use the 2nd Vendetta w/ SWS for an outflanking surprise. Al's PCS is tricky to outfit i do not want them to just have the 3 flamers my normal PCS runs. The orders he offers makes me want to try some special weapons and hope for the best. :)

ElCheezus
12-27-2010, 03:02 PM
I think this looks a bit more cohesive. There's always room to nit-pick, but I think playing it will reveal more than fliddling with the list will. The only suggestion I'd make right now is to take off the Lascannons and make them Plasmas for the CCS. I like LasCannons on Russes for numerous reasons, but if the CCS doesn't kill most of their target when they shoot, they'll get assaulted and splatted pretty quick-like.

Other than that I'd just suggest some tactics. When you play, aim to get most of your force together with the outflankers to create local superiority. That way you can focus on one side and then clean up the other. There was an article on this site about using fast units in deployment to unbalance the field. Those tips could make this army catch a lot of people off-guard.