PDA

View Full Version : Squad marking method: Opinion poll

therealjohnny5
12-24-2010, 06:19 PM
Hey all, haven't been around lately but have no fear i'm still painting away and converting my army...i actually just came by a metric ton of bitz, models, and IG...so yeah...it's all backing up...lol.

Anywho, as to the reason for the post, in case you don't know (or remember bc it's been so long) i'm painting up a custom RG successor chapter with counts as models from all the marine codecies. It's an attempt to minimize multiple purchases, and not to mention i really don't like most color schemes. So my armor is a half red and half black, company markings are on the models left knee and unit markings on Right knee. The Company marking knee has the unit codex color (green tac, yellow dev, etc) beneath the number. so that being said. Company markings are only on Sgt's knees. That being said some of my Sgt models have the older Mk armor with the single leg curiass, no knee joint armor piece.

So my question is should i paint the entire leg piece green on the tac sgts and then put the company number at the normal location, or should i leave the lower leg armor black and just do a section green behind the number, or leave the entire leg black and just forego the unit color on the leg?

Thanks.

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae347/therealjohnny5/TacSgt3.jpg

Porty1119
12-24-2010, 08:07 PM
I think that you should paint the kneepad green, with the company number on the pad.

SotonShades
12-25-2010, 05:03 AM
curly one... I think the sergeants would look a little wierd with a full green leg, or even the option of painting part of the armour without the separation of the armoured segments (i've done similar with my SM army). Equally though you don't want to leave them with no unit colour designation... is the green on the helmet unit designation also? Will you be giving the sergeants with the older mark leg armour banners with could be designation colour?

Lane
12-26-2010, 04:09 AM
how about paint the company number in codex color rather than painting the background in codex color.That would work for any armor mark and be less disruptive of the overall color scheme.

therealjohnny5
12-26-2010, 12:28 PM
curly one... I think the sergeants would look a little wierd with a full green leg, or even the option of painting part of the armour without the separation of the armoured segments (i've done similar with my SM army). Equally though you don't want to leave them with no unit colour designation... is the green on the helmet unit designation also? Will you be giving the sergeants with the older mark leg armour banners with could be designation colour?

Yeah the head color is squad color, but no I won't have banners. Theyre only going to used on vehicles so I'll know what squads in which transport. I like banners on a lot of models but if my guys are RG successors they need to be better at sneaking and huge banners don't lend themselves to that. Lol.

how about paint the company number in codex color rather than painting the background in codex color.That would work for any armor mark and be less disruptive of the overall color scheme.

that's actually not a half bad idea, I was going to be using decals but not a half bad idea.

What do you think bait a geometric shape (like a diamond or something) at the knee joint on the armor plate behind the number?

Lane
12-28-2010, 02:38 PM
that's actually not a half bad idea, I was going to be using decals but not a half bad idea.

What do you think bait a geometric shape (like a diamond or something) at the knee joint on the armor plate behind the number?

That would work as well. It gives you the same shape for the marking no matter what armor variant. It would also keep the numeral colors the same on both sides.