PDA

View Full Version : Sergeant Bastonne Vet squad loadout?

david5th
12-24-2010, 01:40 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions/advice on the weapons and options loadout i should use with a IG vet squad led by Sergeant Bastonne.

I was thinking 3 meltas + vox caster with Grenadier doctrine.
I am thinking of possibly giving thme a Chimera but an unsure.

I have Creed in my army so iwas think of uisng the Tatical Genius rule on this squad.

Your thoughts please.

somerandomdude
12-24-2010, 03:40 PM
I've actually used (with quite a bit success) 3 plasmaguns + autocannon. With Bring it Down and Fire on my Target (plus the BS4 of the vets) you've got a pretty annoying unit that can do a significant amount of damage. I don't like giving them meltas just because I'm spending so many points on the ability to get an extra officer, so I want them away from the front lines.

I also give them Forward Sentries for camo cloaks too, to make it tougher for the opponent to target them. Even if you kill a few, they have LD 10 and can always regroup.

I like Creed outflanking Sentinels, SWS, or Hellhounds personally, but meltavets are always nice.

If you choose the melta/outflank option, then go ahead and give them a chimera. You can get that much closer potentially to your target, and you'd hate for them to not be in range to do any damage. If anything you can disembark and use the tank as a shield the turn they arrive.

Tynskel
12-24-2010, 04:56 PM
I was gunn a say that you want them to mobile a nd not up close. A heavy weapon and plasmas are pretty awesome for that squad. Allows you to blast stuff from 'far away' and then run up and rapid fire, finishing the job.

Brithian Ranger
12-25-2010, 02:13 PM
I agree with the plasma's and autocannon, with bastonne's orders and the bs4 of the veterans all that strength 7 will easily bring down everything from light-medium vehicles, to monstrous creatures, and even infantry.

ElCheezus
12-27-2010, 11:09 AM
So the question is, what are you buying with Bastionne? LD 10, orders for their squad that don't depend on Officers. So it's a good chance of BiD, FoMT, FRFSRF, MMM, or Incoming! He also comes with a Hotshot Laspistol and a Power Sword.

As tempting as it is to put a more expensive unit in a Chimera for protection, they can order themselves a good run roll for mobility. If you have the spare points, then it wouldn't hurt. You can always disembark when necessary, but I wouldn't call it a default choice.

The orders give you anti-tank and MC, anti-cover, mobility, and slightly more firepower with flashlights.

If you're outflanking with him, a 3x plasma squad with Demolitions might be the setup that uses his abilities the most. With side and rear shots, plasma can do some serious damage to vehicles, and is actually better than melta if you're not in 6" melta range. If plasma won't hurt it enough, you can charge with meltabombs. If you run across troops, plasmas and a demo charge will mow them down with FoMT if they're in cover, or FRF,SRF if they're not.

Of course, if you have Creed in your army and you're playing him as aggressive as the Bastionne squad, there's no need for him. The 24" order range with four orders means you shouldn't need Bastionne to order an extra set; a regular Vet squad would do. If Creed is defensive and Bastionne is aggressive, that's a slightly different story.

Also, don't bother with a Vox. A Vox doesn't let a unit reroll orders on themselves, so they can't benefit from it unless Bastionne dies and they're still in range of another officer. If that's the case, why did you take Bastionne, again?

Mycroft Holmes
02-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Also, don't bother with a Vox. A Vox doesn't let a unit reroll orders on themselves, so they can't benefit from it unless Bastionne dies and they're still in range of another officer.?

I agreed with most of your post but this took me back. The codex allows a re-roll if both the squad issuing and the squad recieving the order have a Vox. That's absolutely the case when a unit with a Vox gives itself an order.

Am I missing something?

Mycroft

ElCheezus
02-07-2011, 01:23 PM
I know it's INAT FAQ'd, but I'm not sure if it's in a GW FAQ. Either way, isn't Bastionne LD 10? It's a rare sight that he'd fail orders, so I wouldn't call the Vox worth it either way.

Mycroft Holmes
02-07-2011, 01:30 PM
I know it's INAT FAQ'd, but I'm not sure if it's in a GW FAQ. Either way, isn't Bastionne LD 10? It's a rare sight that he'd fail orders, so I wouldn't call the Vox worth it either way.

Worth it? Absolutely not. My command squads rarely have a problem issuing themselves an order so I don't expect Bastionne to have one ether.

I'll have to take a look in the INAT; didn't even realize that it was an issue.

Mycroft

ElCheezus
02-07-2011, 02:51 PM
I think it's based off the absurdity that equipment made for talking to *other* people helps the guys next to you understand. /shrug

I think RAW it works, though, unless people really get in and disect the language of the Vox. I honestly don't care enough to, since I can't see when I'd ever take them.

somerandomdude
02-07-2011, 02:59 PM
Or it could signify the extra training his men undergo, the idea of a second officer that helps bark the orders (like Kell), or possibly the Vox helps them tap in to other squads and gather more information about the battle, making the order by Bastonne seem like the best course of action (and easier for the squad to get behind).

Use your imagination!

Tynskel
02-08-2011, 09:22 PM
Destroy INAT FAQ.

ElCheezus
02-09-2011, 11:38 AM
That's right! How dare someone try to answer the stupid number of rules questions left by GW's ****ty writing? How dare they disagree with my answers? Why would we want a common document so that people from different game stores can know what to expect when they play tournaments out of town? You can't force your rules on me! My group decided differently, so we're obviously better! GW's FAWs or none! In fact, their FAQs aren't official anyway!

(Yeah, you didn't say all of these things, but I hear stuff like this too often)

Dude, it's a source. Use it or don't. It's been used and grew from a large tournament. Not everybody agrees with it, but it's made to be a common ground to start from. If you and yours want to play differently, then good for you guys on having your own solution. But don't bash it just because it's trying to fill the gaps and provide a bridge between players from different areas.