PDA

View Full Version : non- GW minis

BlueDevil
12-22-2010, 09:59 AM
How acceptable is it to use non-Games-Workshop minis for an army? I realize they can't be used in tournaments, but just in friendly games at your local shop?

I had a large collection of Samurai's from the old Clan War game and didn't have any other use for them. So, I added some extra pieces and turned them into an army of Cathay using the Empire book. They came out pretty cool looking.

Has anybody else ever done this?

Faultie
12-22-2010, 10:47 AM
I have found it's generally well accepted, assuming you're not in a GW store or one of their tournaments. In fact, we have a local guy who has done the exact same thing (made an Empire army out of tons of old Clan War models).
I have a good number of models from DwarfTales/Warcanto that I use for my Kislevites as well.

Themadpainter
12-22-2010, 05:57 PM
Personally I don't mind if other people want to use Non-GW models in their army, or make an entire army out of it. I just like GW models my self so thats what I stick with.

lobster-overlord
12-22-2010, 11:21 PM
Just don't make a LEGO Wars army out of Mega Blocks figures....

:-)

Personally, I thknk it adds great variety to warhammer to see armies of all sorts on the field. Themes that are unable to be brought to bare by GW models can be explored.

Admiral-Badruck
12-23-2010, 02:06 AM
I think alternative models make the game lots more fun... GW stores may think they have the best models on the market but... for IG I really like the models from Pig-iron http://pig-iron-productions.com/
even if they are just head replacements they look really cool. it gives your models a nice feeling of identity http://wargamesfactory.com/webstore this place make some very cool fantast looking stuff.. as well a IG want to bees... :D:D

odinsgrandson
12-23-2010, 11:14 AM
Especially with Games Workshop moving from Wysiwyg to "counts as" a lot of people have been using non-GW pieces in their armies.

Especially, there are a good number of miniatures lines that look like they're meant to be used in WFB (like Scibor or Avatars of War).

I heard about an Ogre Kingdoms force made entirely out of Confrontation Wolfen that went to some of the larger tournaments, but I don't know the details.