PDA

View Full Version : Saga of the hunter

Lancefireball
12-19-2010, 01:13 AM
First off NO this is not about the faq... Well it is but the question it self is not about the faq.

On page 64 of the codex is explains how all of the sagas work and for saga of the hunter it says Infantry only. Is this just part of the explanation or is this a rule meaning a thunderwolf can not take this ability because I have seen many people have it on models that are on thunderwolves.

Thank you

DarkLink
12-19-2010, 01:19 AM
Infantry only means that a thunderwolf lord couldn't have it, based on what you've said. Thunderwolves are cavalry, and thus not infantry.

dannyat2460
12-19-2010, 04:43 PM
can some one post the actual saga wording

somerandomdude
12-19-2010, 07:08 PM
First off NO this is not about the faq... Well it is but the question it self is not about the faq.

On page 64 of the codex is explains how all of the sagas work and for saga of the hunter it says Infantry only. Is this just part of the explanation or is this a rule meaning a thunderwolf can not take this ability because I have seen many people have it on models that are on thunderwolves.

Thank you

You're right, it can't be on a model that's on a Thunderwolf, but for another reason besides the one you pointed out. The only models that can take Sage of the Hunter are Wolf Priests and Battle Leaders, and those two can not ride a Thunderwolf.

Anyone who has a Sage of the Hunter Thunderwolf is breaking the rules in two ways.

Lancefireball
12-19-2010, 08:08 PM
Battle leaders can go on thunder wolves btw. and im asking because it says infantry only in the fluff part of the rule.

Anyone who has acualy seen the codex please help. Not trying to be rude but if you guys don't know what it even says then how can you comment on it.

Spy_Smasher
12-19-2010, 08:34 PM
It is another poorly structured/written rule but I think they can have TW mounts and SotH. Otherwise, why specifically exclude WGBLs with jump packs and bikes? Also, they are "Type: Infantry."

GW just should've listed the available Sagas in their entry with any caveats instead of adding that "Infantry Only" part.

somerandomdude
12-19-2010, 09:32 PM
I have seen the codex. I have it in front of me. I apologize for my mistake, I read through the relevant entries quickly.

It's not in the fluff part of the Saga. It's in one of two paragraphs under the saga, one of which includes rules with some fluff, and the other all fluff. This statement is in the first one. There is no fluff meaning behind the phrase "infantry only". It's pretty cut and dry - when something says it only applies to infantry, that means that it only applies to infantry.

You have to read all entries in the codex to understand what the rules are. The notes on pg. 85 do not say that TW riders can take SotH, only that jumpers and bikers can not. The rule on pg. 64 is what says that TW riders can not take it.

For anyone who still wants to know what SotH says:

Saga of the Hunter
Infantry only. Some heroes are famed for their ability to hunt across an entire continent without a single night of rest. The character has the ability to outflank and the Stealth rule.

Next time someone tries to give a TW rider SotH, just show them that page and be done with it.

Necron_Lord
12-20-2010, 12:03 AM
It also means that you can't give battle leaders or wolf priests jump packs and saga of the hunter because they would then be jump infantry.

Lancefireball
12-20-2010, 04:18 PM
Its odd though. Why in the battle leader part of the book does it say you cant give it to jump packs and bikes but it says nothing about thunderwolves. I just find it odd.

addamsfamily36
12-20-2010, 04:43 PM
Its odd though. Why in the battle leader part of the book does it say you cant give it to jump packs and bikes but it says nothing about thunderwolves. I just find it odd.

Just a Miss worded paragraph. Every codex has them.

Go to the entry section towards the rear of the book though. With all the costs etc. If under unit type Thunderwolves it says : infantry , they by all means this saga could work. If it says Calvary then no, its definitely not allowed.

Apologies for not owning the codex, and making a post, but i read the other posts, and someone i think it was

spy smasher posted

It is another poorly structured/written rule but I think they can have TW mounts and SotH. Otherwise, why specifically exclude WGBLs with jump packs and bikes? Also, they are "Type: Infantry."

Which seemed to imply that Thunderwolves were type infantry. unless he was referring to something else.

Spy_Smasher
12-21-2010, 12:00 AM
Wolf Guard Battle Leaders are Type: Infantry.

somerandomdude
12-21-2010, 09:02 AM
And Wolf Guard Battle Leaders who are on a Thunderwolf Mount are "Type: Cavalry".

Pg. 62 of the Space Wolf codex.

lowdog
12-21-2010, 10:47 AM
And Wolf Guard Battle Leaders who are on a Thunderwolf Mount are "Type: Cavalry".

Pg. 62 of the Space Wolf codex.

Correct. Under the wargear entry for Thunderwolf Mounts it states (buried in the middle of the paragraph unfortunately) that characters with a thunderwolf mount are type: cavalry.

addamsfamily36
12-21-2010, 01:34 PM
Wolf Guard Battle Leaders are Type: Infantry.

thanks for clarifying. i thought this would be the case, but i read your post wrong. my bad