PDA

View Full Version : First Golden Deamon competition and some of ideas of mine

Christian
12-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Hi there everyone,

Yesterday I heard the news that there will be a Golden Demon Competition in the summer at our store. This is in Hong Kong and I dont know if this is the real thing like in the UK or US, if this is only Hong Kong wide or China wide. But I wanted to compete in it, although I do not know if my painting is at the right standard ( the last painting competition was 2 years ago and since then i improved my paiting a lot). I dont know the catagories yet, but the store manager told me something about the UK catagries beeing used at our GD.
We are only a small community so I think I could have a chance in this.

So I have some ideas here. I will most probably not go for single miniatures or regiment in 40 k and fantasy because there a just too many people competing in these. I want to go for either Dual, 40k Vehicle, Diorama, Open and LOTR Single Miniature (nearly noone plays LOTR here so I thought i could go for this).

Here are my Ideas:

LOTR Single Miniature: A normal Aragorn figure charging

Duel: - two Orcs at a table armwrestling, with goblins cheering around them
- Dark Elf Assassin killing a Horserider in a forest

Diorama: - A space marine rhino in the mids of a battlefield, a open hatch with the company sergeant pulling
a wounded marine into the vehicle
- Imperial Guardsmen on top a tank riding to battle
- IG tank commander asking for direction from a Infantry commander

Open: - Dwarf Airship ( Idea from the Gotrek and Felix books)

These are just some Ideas. I am aiming to enter at least one category. Please tell me what you think of these ideas and maybe you can give me some tips for GD in generall.

Thanks
Christian

Porty1119
12-18-2010, 08:34 PM
For the idea with the IG tanker, I'd take a note from the M1A2 Abrams TUSK upgrade kit: A phone. Have him leaning against the side of the tank using the phone (asking for fire support, perhaps), and maybe a few infantrymen off to the side, pinned down. In the grim darkness of the far future, there are only...rotary phones?

DrLove42
12-19-2010, 05:05 AM
The duel you've got a better chance of making the elf one...you'd have a hard time fitting the pub arm wrestling scene onto the single base size that they usually stipulate

For anything else tanks are good...if you can weather them well....undamged they never stand up to the competition

SotonShades
12-19-2010, 05:31 AM
What ever you paint, make sure its a model you really have a passion for. All too often I've seen people start GD projects because they think very few people will enter that catagory. The amount of time you are going to need to spend on the model, you are going to need passion or it will soon feel like a grind. I've seen loads of people drop their projects for this reason.

Also, don't stretch yourself. Only enter more than one catagory if you know you will be able to paint each entry to the best of your abilities and all in time for the competition. Again, I've seen people enter models in to three or four catagories that they themselves have admitted aren't fully finished because they had to divide their time between the pieces, and ended up winning nothing because they over stretched them selves. One particular incident of this was from a guy who had 2 Golden Deamons to his name (which he brought with him on the day for some reason...) from separate years, but then he failed to win the small local competition in store bbecause he over estimated how long the multiple projects would take. I also know I've done this before, and still have three or four single miniature entries that are unfinished because each year I end up have two or three good ideas lol.

Like your ideas though. Remember for your conversions/dioramas, any modelling/sculpting/repositioning of componants will have to look as flawless as a non-adapted model or they will stick out like a sore thumb in the competition.

Good Luck :)

MarneusCalgar
12-19-2010, 07:46 AM
I like all of them!!

But if you want an advice, Games Workshop always judges the Goldem Daemon entries in order of their plasticity, beauty, technique and... also... the hard selling of it.

I mean, you can have an excellent idea in mind but if they judge it doesnīt sell the "spirit of the hobby" (marines, marines, buy, buy!!), they will throw it away, even if itīs the Best of Show with so much difference...

It happened last year here in Spain...

So I should put all the efforts on that marine diorama...

Good luck!!

Christian
12-19-2010, 07:51 AM
First thing...Thank you all for your comments until now.

Then...I thought of a marine diorama but didnt have an idea yet for a good one. We dont have a Games Workshop here, there is just a hobby store in Hong Kong which mainly sells GW models and where like 98% of the customers play GW games. Most of them play both 40k and fantasy.

I like the idea of the phone.

@SotonShade: I only want to enter one big project and maybe only one single miniature. This is how i can concentrate on these. Many of our store members have lots of time to paint so they will put in more models. But I really only want to concentrate on one Open/Duel/Diorama and one single miniature.

Drew da Destroya
12-19-2010, 12:09 PM
I really like the idea of the arm-wrestling orcs (or orks), I'd include some items on the table as the orcs "wager"... some coins, a weapon or two, some fungus, maybe a squig.

I'm also a big fan of the sergeant rescuing a wounded marine by dragging him into a Rhino... that could be really dynamic and cool... maybe include another marine providing covering fire?

The IG tank commander on the phone is pretty good, too.

Christian
12-19-2010, 08:55 PM
To make the armwrestling more interresting, i thought of putting a blade on each side of the table so that the orc that loses the wrestle also loses a hand ^^. In addition i would add some cut of hands. Thanks for the further ideas. Also the idea of the cover firing marine is not bad at all. Maybe one with a rocket launcher or heavy bolter.

bloodangel 83
12-20-2010, 04:09 AM
the idea of the serg. pulling ine the wounded is a good one and i would have two heavy bolters covering the rear outside the rhino and a couple guys with bolters from inside the rhino to back up the heavy waepons guys. just my two cents take or leave them. good luck on your GD entires.

Christian
12-20-2010, 09:15 AM
I found a problem just now for the rhino diorama....The marines are to big to fit inside. Any ideas how i could get at least one in without the roof not fitting?

MarneusCalgar
12-20-2010, 09:39 AM
I found a problem just now for the rhino diorama....The marines are to big to fit inside. Any ideas how i could get at least one in without the roof not fitting?

Well. you donīt need to fit it inside!!

I think using Sergeant Chronus as the one who is middle bodied, using it as the one is pulling from the wounded one to get inside... You donīt need anymore!! Only one or two more marines used as cover for the wounded

Christian
12-20-2010, 10:22 AM
Oh maybe I should have mentioned I play BA as for Space Marines.:D

Drew da Destroya
12-20-2010, 10:54 AM
As far as the marines being too big...

[URL="http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440277a&prodId=prod1690064"The silver guy on the left[/URL] should work for your casualty... he's in a good position for dragging, and he's trying to defend himself, too. Maybe cut off a leg for added injury?

I think the Devastator kit has a set of kneeling legs for the Sergeant doing the dragging... that should hopefully make him small enough to fit in the back of the rhino... the problem is, there is a scale difference between vehicles and infantry in the model range (damn "Heroic Scale")... if you're feeling super-ambitious, you could try to "correct" that scale by enlarging the Rhino, although that'd basically require a full custom sculpt, and that'd be a pain in the ***.

Thinking about it a little more, you don't have to have him being dragged into the rear hatch, but you could do one of the side doors. That way, the "cover fire" marine(s) could be using the bulk of the tank as cover while firing out of the rear, while the Sergeant and casualty are exposed and in danger, making for a more dramatic piece (since it's a race against time to get the injured marine to safety).

Christian
12-22-2010, 04:02 AM
The side doors can be opened? I didnt know that. Good to know though. Thank you for telling me. I only have a razorback from ebay. I will buy a new rhino as soon as i have money for it (so after christmas when all presents are bought).

bloodangel 83
12-22-2010, 02:57 PM
sounds like you have made your mind up on the diorama, can't wait to see how it come out. What company of BA will you show for the diorama. Good luck and Marry Christmas

Christian
12-22-2010, 08:41 PM
My company will be the 2nd. I used the company name for my army list for the last tournament.

Thank you all for your tips. Hope to see some more.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Christian

Christian
12-25-2010, 07:52 AM
Firstly Merry Christmas to all.

Now I just need a faction attacking the rhino and its squad (or better to say i need dead bodies). Any Ideas? I had Chaos Marines in mind. The Models I have are Tau, CM, Necrons, some Eldar and some Imp Guard.

Another question: Should I add some scouts which are covering the retreating marines?

MarneusCalgar
12-25-2010, 04:07 PM
Firstly Merry Christmas to all.

Now I just need a faction attacking the rhino and its squad (or better to say i need dead bodies). Any Ideas? I had Chaos Marines in mind. The Models I have are Tau, CM, Necrons, some Eldar and some Imp Guard.

Another question: Should I add some scouts which are covering the retreating marines?

You can buy a box of Tyranidīs hormagaunts... Like a horde surrounding the vehicle!!

Christian
12-26-2010, 09:35 PM
Good Idea but then I dont want to spend to much money on this and buy to much stuff for it. Im a bit low on it. And I dont really like the models of the tyranids.

WereWolf_nr
12-27-2010, 12:02 AM
Good Idea but then I dont want to spend to much money on this and buy to much stuff for it. Im a bit low on it. And I dont really like the models of the tyranids.

Ask around your local game store. Sometimes people have extra models they are willing to donate to such things. Failing that check around ebay for something cheap.

MarneusCalgar
12-27-2010, 05:37 AM
Ask around your local game store. Sometimes people have extra models they are willing to donate to such things. Failing that check around ebay for something cheap.

I agree with the brother Wolf

Christian
12-28-2010, 05:21 AM
Will Kroot also look good instead of tyranids? I still have lots of spare bodies lying around.

Drew da Destroya
12-28-2010, 01:41 PM
I'd like to see some Kroot in the diorama... they're pretty underrepresented... and Chaos Marines show up all the time. Plus, it's always nice to see some Imperial vs. Xenos action.

I'd say no to the scout squad. Keep the drama all about the one squad, protecting their own.

MarneusCalgar
12-28-2010, 04:24 PM
Well, you can try also with them too

Xas
12-28-2010, 06:45 PM
scouts dont drive in rhinos.

it could however be a wounded scout that is beeing rescued by the tactical squad.

Christian
12-29-2010, 07:06 AM
Thanks for the last comments guys.
I will also add some bodies around the rhino, Kroot and BA allike. Maybe even a kroot body on top of the rhino behind which a space marine is lying and shooting a heavy weapon.

they're pretty underrepresented
And underrestimatet.

Christian
12-31-2010, 02:07 AM
I am just planing my diorama at the moment. I will start building it in February after I finished my exams, which are very important for me.

I just just have another idea and need your oppinion. Now that I have a rhino, some Marines and some Kroot, do you think it is wise to add some Tau Firewarriors to make it more battle like?

MarneusCalgar
12-31-2010, 09:42 PM
No, no, donīt need to show more minis... It would remark small possible fails you can have