PDA

View Full Version : I have foresworn GW Primer for a new Brand

Agent of Change
12-17-2010, 10:10 AM
I don't know how many people here use GW primers, I would assume many. i also do not know how many people eschew non-dedicated 'model' paints in the interests of not wasting time, energy, or ruining models experimenting with things not purpose made for hobby work. What i do know is that GW primer has taken a nose dive of late.

Specifically the white primer. i have no matter what i tried with a GW white I end up with 'fuzzy' looking models. After changing ventilation, temperature, scrubbing everything within a 5' radius to remove all dust, changing basing pads between model rotation, hell I even built a basing hood, and then I came to the conclusion it's not me. I've tried a handful of cans from several sources and it is definately the paint.

I have experimented with several brands now and what i have found is that Armoury paint in not worth the time as it is inconsistent, however P3 primer from Privateer press is my new love when it comes to basing.

P3 is not only cheaper $8-9 from $13-15 for gw's, there is more in the can by a decent percentage, and it covers smooth and thin with a beautiful paintable finish.

I just thought i'd throw this out for anyone else who has these issues or has other suggestions.

Lerra
12-17-2010, 10:33 AM
I switched from GW to Armory to Rustoleum/P3 and have never looked back. I use P3 for painting competition minis and Rustoleum for army painting.

Rustoleum goes on slightly thicker than P3 primer, but for tabletop minis I can't notice a difference in the final product. It's also idiot proof, works in any climate, doesn't clog, and is half the price of hobby-specific primers.

rogue.trader.voril
12-17-2010, 12:57 PM
I have been using Krylon white primer ever since GW stopped making primer in pots. After switching I couldn't believe I didn't do it sooner.

Lockark
12-17-2010, 01:27 PM
I live in a apartment with no area in witch I can spray prime.

I haven't used a spray primeh a miniature for 2 years now.

I paint on my base coat using Chaos black or paint straight on with GW's foundations. No really. The foundation paints don't need primer. They just paint on and cover in 1-2 coats. Even if I could spray prime I wouldn't waste the time when I start most my miniatures with a foundation anyway.

The only acceptation to this is when I visit relatives, I take all my Terriean pieces with me and spray prime them. Then paint them back at my apartment.

AdamHarry
12-17-2010, 05:57 PM
White primer can be pretty fickle. Primer in general can be. I learned through trial and error and the best priming I've had is when it's cool outside, with little to no humidity. Short, controlled bursts at close range. kinda like a machine gun. the can's usally say 12"-18" ...this is a lie. < 9" away is the best range I find, if not less than 6"

I've primed using the GW white, Armory White, and even some other "cheap" wal-mart primers and I've primed two armies white (my World Eaters and Yellow 'Nids). GW is better than the other two, by far. I'll give this Privateer primer a shot too, I'm running low and got more bugs to paint :)

Oh yeah, and if you're ever unsure about a new primer, espically white, for pete's sake use a test model! this has saved me LOTS of scrubbing (crazy Texas weather will ruin primer faster than anything else I've seen). I also prime my models and then bring them in to dry, usally in a "dry" room with fan.

Fizyx
12-17-2010, 07:36 PM
I love the GW black primer (enough to pay 15 bucks a can for it,) but for white primer it is all about the P3. I don't know how they did it, but the stuff is amazing. The only time P3 white primer got me in trouble is when I was doing a speed-painting contest at a local GW and left it sitting on the counter, lol.

Duke
12-17-2010, 11:07 PM
I use .99 cent primer that I buy at lowes, whatup!?

Duke

Ps- and in case your wondering it looks fine (check out my blog)

Lupercal
12-18-2010, 10:11 AM
There was a whole batch of GW white primer that had serious problems, including the fuzziness to which you refer. It was recalled in Hobby Centers, but I don't know how many actually pulled it or if the info ever got out to independent retailers at all. It sounds like you got cans from that batch. But maybe not.

RedScorpionsGirl
12-18-2010, 04:46 PM
Gotta say, I haven't used GW primer in about 5 years. I prefer the Army Painter Primers for colours (inc. the black) and the P3 Black. The P3 white is all right, however I prefer the Superfine Tamiya White Primer if I need it to be a perfect white. The P3 works the best outside of needing the superfine though, by a long shot. I wrote an article for BOLS ages ago about primers because of all the problems everyone had with the GW, and wanted to show them other options.