PDA

View Full Version : Power of the machine spirit Q

Israel5236
12-16-2010, 03:17 AM
Ok so it came up that a friend said when using potms with a space marine land raider you can't fire the same weapon twice. "a land raider can fire one more weapon than would normally be permitted" page 81 of sm codex. So I see it as I can shoot the same weapon twice because if I hold still I can fire all weapons so one more would be a weapon that already fired, so I would be able to do it even if I move. He thinks I can only use the power if I have a weapon that didn't fire. What do you think?

UltramarineFan
12-16-2010, 04:33 AM
I'd say no you can't because the rule says 'one more weapon' which to me means that it has to be a weapon that hasn't fired already. If you fire one weapon twice you aren't firing one weapon then firing one more, you're firing the same weapon twice. So no, you can't.

SeattleDV8
12-16-2010, 06:00 AM
By that logic you would also be able to fire a destroyed weapon or fire while still in reserves.
You still have to follow the normal rules.

dannyat2460
12-16-2010, 04:35 PM
i like your logic and would be cool if you could but alas no potms is used when moving crusing speed to fire a single weapon or 2 at combat or maybe the most important thing firing at different targets, firing through smoke is always a good use of it 2

SeattleDV8
12-17-2010, 12:21 AM
To be fair the firing though Smoke is a grey area.
Some say yes and some say no.

Israel5236
12-17-2010, 06:42 AM
First if a weapon is distory it's just gone! If I have a normal land raid with two las on the side and a heavy bolter and Hold still I would normally be permitted to fire 3 shots (plus twin-link). There for one more would be one I had fired since this rule removes what would normal be permitted for that one weapon. Also no where in the rule book, that I can fnd anyway say anything about not being able to fire a weapon more than once. As for as the smoke goes has everyone forgotten "the codex takes precedence".

dannyat2460
12-17-2010, 08:44 AM
potms stated that you can fire one more than normaly permited, not fire multiple times, if you have 3 weapons and fire them all one more would be the 4th weapon if you dont have a 4th weapon then tough luck

somerandomdude
12-17-2010, 08:50 AM
First if a weapon is distory it's just gone! If I have a normal land raid with two las on the side and a heavy bolter and Hold still I would normally be permitted to fire 3 shots (plus twin-link). There for one more would be one I had fired since this rule removes what would normal be permitted for that one weapon. Also no where in the rule book, that I can fnd anyway say anything about not being able to fire a weapon more than once. As for as the smoke goes has everyone forgotten "the codex takes precedence".

Pg. 27 of the rulebook, under "Type" it says "a multi-laser fires three shots in each Shooting phase so its type is noted as Heavy 3."

It fires 3 times in each shooting phase. That is the restriction. If you were able to fire the weapon twice, you'd still only get 3 shots (total).

Also, if you want to look at it from a fluff perspective, the reason PotMS can fire an additional weapon is because normally things like moving, shaking, etc. distracts the crew too much to use all of the weapons. The restriction on the weapon firing multiple times is because of the weapon's ammo capacity, cooling systems, etc. If a lascannon was able to fire multiple times in a short span (about 6-10 seconds probably) then it wouldn't be restricted in normal settings either.

As for the smoke, the reason people disagree with that is a sporting reason. More recently we've had turboboosting Storm Ravens distract us. The rules allow it, but for friendly situations people are not a fan.

And, if there were a restriction of only shooting once per turn, then that would actually allow PotMS to work the way you want.

Archon Charybdis
12-17-2010, 09:54 AM
There for one more would be one I had fired since this rule removes what would normal be permitted for that one weapon.

That's just a plain Evel Knievel jump there. PotMS tells you that you can do two things: fire one more weapon than normal (that is, another weapon in addition to those weapons already being fired) and target it at a different unit. It does not say you can take the same weapon and fire it twice, in fact it doesn't say anything about changing the rules for the weapons themselves--only the number of weapons the vehicle can fire. If you remain stationary and would be able to fire all of your weapons, PotMS doesn't provide you any benefit other than being able to target a different unit. Infinity +1 is still infinity.

Also no where in the rule book, that I can find anyway say anything about not being able to fire a weapon more than once.

40K is a permissive rules set. You don't need a rule to say you can't do something, you need a rule to say you can do something. There's no rule that says I can't make up my own psychic powers (2d6 S10 AP1 hits on every enemy model on the board plz), or that I can't throw my opponents army on the floor and declare myself the winner, but you can bet nobody would take "Well the rules don't say I can't!" as an acceptable argument.