PDA

View Full Version : BoLS Readers Choice Awards 2010 - Rulebook/Army Book

Bigred
12-15-2010, 01:48 PM
Please list your submission for best single rulebook, or army-campaign book produced during 2010 by either GW, Privateer, or Battlefront. Please only 1 entry. If you have a link to a photo of it, feel free to throw it in.

DrLove42
12-15-2010, 02:00 PM
Photo of a rules book? Really. I assume you mean codex in here as well

Dark Eldar

For being one of the most balenced codexs with nearly every unit being viable, and multiple flexibles build. In addition to having some of the best fluff in a GW codex in a long time...

Dingareth
12-15-2010, 02:53 PM
Yep, I'll go ahead and second Dark Eldar as well.

gwensdad
12-15-2010, 03:08 PM
Warhammmer Fantasy Battle 8th edition.

BuFFo
12-15-2010, 03:52 PM
Codex: Dark Eldar

1) Not following past trends, the Dark Eldar codex is beautifully balanced. There are no 'cheese' units that crutch players with less skill with winning.

2) The aesthetics of the fluff translates into the rules perfectly without much, if any. meta game feel to the rules.

3) It is probably the ONLY codex ever written where every.single.unit. is viable, usable and useful. Even Succubi are good at lower point games. Mandrakes? Hidden power of the codex many will gloss over for Trueborn.

4) There isn't a feeling over poweredness at all. You need to use the entire army as a well oiled machine to win. You cannot rely on mass Feel No Pain or AV 12 Vehicles to help you win.

5) The Dark Eldar codex is the connoisseur's army in 40k without doubt.

6) The Art Work is new, the fluff is new, the layout of the book is beautifully done and perfect. Rules are located in the correct areas of the book. There is even a section in the back of the book helping out new dark eldar players with the army because the editors/authors knew the army would be hard to use.

7) For the first time in years, a codex is made with a cover that doesn't suck!

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1430059a_60030112002_ENDECodex_873x627.jpg

Herald of Nurgle
12-15-2010, 04:23 PM
Codex Squats.

Because good codex build is no match for good humor... right?

Masterowen45
12-15-2010, 04:28 PM
8th Edition Warhammer rulebook

It is a really well rounded book with the magic phase completely changed for the better. I love the charging now which if not planned correctly can leave you in the open. The overall layout of the book (its Huge!) is fantastic and the new Lores of magic along with items are balenced (apart from some of the scrolls) and just funny such as the wizards hat, folding fortress, flying carpet and pigion plucking pendant!

Lerra
12-15-2010, 05:18 PM
My vote is for Warmachine Prime: MkII.

A tight, polished ruleset with a public beta test. I wish other game companies would copy the way PP updates their rule set.

Brass Scorpion
12-15-2010, 05:37 PM
Warhammer Fantasy Battle 8th Edition. It's fun and exciting and full of massive hobby goodness.

Atrocity
12-15-2010, 05:41 PM
WHFB 8th edition. Every page is beautiful, full color, and (a very underrated quality) high quality paper. I didn't play Fantasy before 8th came out and I was considering starting a 2nd 40k army, when I casually flipped through a copy at my FLGS. After that, it had to be mine. Hands down the best produced game book across any game system I have ever played, ever.

quinn
12-15-2010, 06:22 PM
Warhammer 8th Edition BRB. It fundamentally changed the whole game, plus it really is a beautifully produced rulebook. I'm not sure I like all the changes, but it is a major departure from previous editions and it actually has an Index that works!

PsychosisPC
12-15-2010, 06:59 PM
Warhammer 8th Edition BRB... I'm not sure I like all the changes, but it is a major departure from previous editions and it actually has an Index that works!

I'ld agree with the production of the book, but I completely dislike the some of the major rules changes, and somethings I don't think were fixed at all. I absolutely despise the random charge distances.

I have to nominate Warhammer Ancient Battles 2.0. Great looking book, good rule tweaks, and very fun game. Combat in this book is what warhammer should be in my opinion.

tinfoil
12-15-2010, 07:49 PM
Dark Eldar codex

Rich_B
12-15-2010, 08:33 PM
Hordes Primal MkII

Its more polished than WM MkII and benefitted from both field tests. Hell, any game where the the company lets you have it free for nigh on a year and takes your feedback on board for the final printed product is a winner in my book. The Errata/FAQs are up to date and comprehensive as well.

Gotthammer
12-15-2010, 08:35 PM
Codex Dark Eldar, for all the reasons Buffo said (though not #7, I don't like the Archon!).

Liazardman
12-15-2010, 09:58 PM
Have to go with the 8e Rulebook... That thing has a ribbon page marker and is massive. That is not a real book it is a Tome if I have ever seen one

eldargal
12-16-2010, 01:37 AM

Tied with 8th Edition WFB, but I'll go with the Eldar on principle.:p

UltramarineFan
12-16-2010, 02:50 AM
WHFB 8th Edition Rulebook

Such a really fun game and personally I liked most of the rules changes (made magic an interesting phase again!)

Night System
12-16-2010, 05:02 AM
It has to be....

*Drum Roll....*

Codex DARK ELDARRR!!

*tremendous applause* :D

Cryl
12-16-2010, 07:36 AM
Warmachine / Hordes Mk.2 by a long way, this year has seen some decent 40k codexes but the new PP books are even more impressive

mookiefer
12-16-2010, 08:23 AM
Das Book for Flames of War.

http://www.flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/all_images/Books/FW218.jpg

mookiefer
12-16-2010, 08:34 AM
Das Book for Flames of War
With a second nomination going to Blitzkrieg

http://www.flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/all_images/Books/FW218.jpg

windspear
12-16-2010, 08:45 AM
Dark Eldar Codex

Archon
12-16-2010, 12:35 PM

Thankfully I have not to type the "why" - Buffo has it already done:

1) Not following past trends, the Dark Eldar codex is beautifully balanced. There are no 'cheese' units that crutch players with less skill with winning.

2) The aesthetics of the fluff translates into the rules perfectly without much, if any. meta game feel to the rules.

3) It is probably the ONLY codex ever written where every.single.unit. is viable, usable and useful. Even Succubi are good at lower point games. Mandrakes? Hidden power of the codex many will gloss over for Trueborn.

4) There isn't a feeling over poweredness at all. You need to use the entire army as a well oiled machine to win. You cannot rely on mass Feel No Pain or AV 12 Vehicles to help you win.

5) The Dark Eldar codex is the connoisseur's army in 40k without doubt.

6) The Art Work is new, the fluff is new, the layout of the book is beautifully done and perfect. Rules are located in the correct areas of the book. There is even a section in the back of the book helping out new dark eldar players with the army because the editors/authors knew the army would be hard to use.

7) For the first time in years, a codex is made with a cover that doesn't suck!

thetallest
12-16-2010, 02:49 PM
Warmachine/Hordes Mk II

I would like to vote against 8th edition fantasy, if that's possible.

Xas
12-16-2010, 07:30 PM
I dont quite get what exctly we are to rate here.

If it is the physical quality of the book, story and artwork I'd have to give my vote to IA: The Badab War I
If special editions are allowed I'd vote for Fantasy 8the Edition Collectors Edition (awesome tomb!)

If it is also about the rules my vote goes to Codex: Dark Eldar even tho it is the smallest of them all.

archimbald
12-17-2010, 02:49 AM
WARHAMMER 8ED

havent read C:DE yet but will soon, flicked through it and not enough pictures for my liking

Unzuul the Lascivious
12-17-2010, 05:12 AM
Codex: Dark Eldar - I have never been this excited about fielding an army before, cannot wait until my miniatures are ready to put these incredible rules into action.

scadugenga
12-17-2010, 07:10 AM
Warmachine Prime MkII

No other rules publication was done so well, and took into consideration the feedback from the entire player base as did Mk II.

Though the DE codex is very spiffy, I'll grant you that.

mookiefer
12-17-2010, 02:44 PM
Das Book for Flames of War

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy290/mookiefer/FW218.jpg

odinsgrandson
12-18-2010, 09:58 AM
My vote is for Warmachine Prime: MkII.

Although, I think there was a lot more going on last year (check out the TGN list of games and expansions (http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/2010-tgnrca-rules) for 2010).

GM Rex Nihilo
12-18-2010, 06:41 PM

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440230a&prodId=prod900058a

CHRISTOS
12-19-2010, 07:12 AM
Hordes MKII rulebook. I loved it!

Oyerbides
12-20-2010, 10:04 AM
I think WotR: Battlehosts was a great addition to an underappreciated game and to a game with a lot of future potential.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat450006a&prodId=prod700001a

fingolfen
12-21-2010, 11:21 AM
Flames of War - Blitzkrieg - EW finally sees the light of day, and is well done to boot...

Farseer Uthiliesh
12-23-2010, 04:19 AM
WHFB 8th edition. Every page is beautiful, full color, and (a very underrated quality) high quality paper. I didn't play Fantasy before 8th came out and I was considering starting a 2nd 40k army, when I casually flipped through a copy at my FLGS. After that, it had to be mine. Hands down the best produced game book across any game system I have ever played, ever.

Agreed. The book got me back into Warhammer Fantasy.

Bigred
12-26-2010, 11:26 AM
Submission thread is now closed - Voting time!!!