PDA

View Full Version : Faded Praetorian tank

odinsgrandson
12-15-2010, 10:27 AM
Here is a tank I did to match a Praetorian force. The concept for this tank is that it is much older than the rest of the force, and the color on the paint is faded. The Praetirians keep their machines well maintained, so it doesn't have a lot of rust on it, just a very faded red.

http://www.gardenninja.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/imperial-guard/preatorian-tank-faded.jpg

Meph
12-15-2010, 10:46 AM
Cool, I'm liking the paint job a lot. Did you use a brush or airbrush to fade on the colour?

Lerra
12-15-2010, 11:12 AM
Faded red is really tough to do, but you pulled it off spectacularly. Most times it ends up looking rather pink and anemic.

odinsgrandson
12-24-2010, 10:31 AM
This tank was painted with normal brushes all the way. I started out with a black primer and worked my way up, adding in greys to the base color.

Faded red is really tough to do, but you pulled it off spectacularly. Most times it ends up looking rather pink and anemic.

Yeah, red is a kind of messed up color that way. Actually, there's nothing wrong with red, but there's something very wrong with the way that we socially perceive red.

If you start highlighting with cooler colors, people will start seeing Pink, and if you go warmer and lighter then you'll get Orange. We don't really have other words for light blue or green, but for Red we not only believe it to no longer be red when it is lighter, but associate light red as an effeminate color.

That is just a weird social construct, and a hassle to work with.