PDA

View Full Version : GW Spray Gun?

Shadoq
12-14-2010, 09:01 PM
Anyone have experience with the GW Spray Gun? I'm trying to replicate a camo scheme on my tanks from someone else's scheme. I don't have their contact info so I have no way of asking directly.

For what it is worth the scheme is brown and green and the Army Builder leather brown spray works nicely but their Army Green turned out to be too light in actual application, looking like a pastelish green when sprayed over a black base. What I really need, I think, is a Catachan green spray but GW doesn't make that so....I have to make it, which means a spray gun and I don't want to buy an air compressor and all that junk to do around 10 vehicles.

Thoughts?

steelmage99
12-15-2010, 12:04 AM
The GW Spray Gun is mediocre, to put it nicely.

If you really wish to use spray-paints to paint your vehicles as opposed to using a brush, I recommend painting a piece a plasticard Catachan Green and then go visit your local hardware stores.
Just ask for a spray paint in that colour.

Meph
12-15-2010, 12:27 AM
If you already own a comrpessor and airbrush, the GW spray gun is a good addition for basecoating and inking but no means it comes close to the controlability and quality of an airbrush. I, for one, actually like the spray gun as it's mechanically very simple and easy to clean. If you decide to buy one, do not buy the canned air, but buy a compressor+tank on ebay, decent ones start at 50EUR. Otherwise you'll buy yourself poor just on cans of compressed air, which are expensive and useless, quality-wise.

ddsa86
12-15-2010, 06:32 AM
I agree with Meph and the spray gun is nice for quick and easy spraying. It is very easy to clean and quicker to use then an airbrush when doing multiple colors. You definitely need an compressor and they can be bought off eBay on the cheap. One of my compressors is a Badger Air Brush Oil Less Compressor. It is good for quick jobs and works well with the GW spray gun. If you have never used an air brush the GW spray gun is the best way to start. I like the bottle attachment because it tells you the right mix of water to paint but be careful not to break it because you have to buy a new spray gun to get one. I had a friend do this and GW doesn't sell it separately. If you decide to move to an airbrush, I would read articles on the Internet to provide you with the information on the best one for you. I personally like the Badger 150 but I have friends that swear by their Paasche. Again, I use the spray gun for batch painting basecoats and my airbursh for finer details or different types of paints other than acrylics.

Brass Scorpion
12-15-2010, 08:54 AM
The GW Spray Gun is an airbrush, albeit an inexpensive single action airbrush. If you don't need to get sophisticated or do fine detail work it's an excellent tool. If you want to be able to do finer lines and details or fully detailed artwork then get a more expensive double action airbrush that allows you to control paint flow while spraying and in finer lines.

MaltonNecromancer
12-15-2010, 11:09 AM
My Citadel spray gun fell apart after two weeks. I personally think it's a piece of cheaply made rubbish.

Went for this instead:

https://airbrushes.com/product_info.php?products_id=3213&osCsid=81be1e8adf2a2dc96684ffad4d2555c6

Meph
12-15-2010, 11:23 AM
That seems to be a rather expensive bit of kit. It is small though.

Personally I'd go for something like this:
Airbrush-Kompressor-KAS186-C-3L-Tan (http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/Airbrush-Kompressor-KAS186-C-3L-Tank-Zubehorset-NEU-/190479758745?pt=Modellbauwerkzeuge&hash=item2c597a7599#ht_1551wt_1149)

I paid 70 for mine.

A single action brush you can get from 10EUR upwards. This one doesn't seem too shabby:
Single-Action-Bottom-Feed-Air-Brush-Kit3 (http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/Single-Action-Bottom-Feed-Air-Brush-Kit-Airbrush-Spray-/260698324371?pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item3cb2d4bd93)

Personally I have a dual mode airbrush, this one, and I'm quite happy with it.
AIRBRUSH-DUAL-ACTION-KIT-PROFESSIONAL-TOOL-0-35mm (http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/AIRBRUSH-DUAL-ACTION-KIT-PROFESSIONAL-TOOL-0-35mm-/300458958293?pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item45f4bfddd5)

But as said, for the basecoating I bought the GW gun. Looking back at it, I would probably have been better off buying a single action airbrush as well. Although the pistol grip of the GW one does handle well.

Making a quick calculation, buying the three I've posted here would set you back only between 80-100 Euro. Which does seem like a lot better deal than the mini compressor.
The performance of a slightly larger compressor, with a 3 liter tank and a moisture trap means that your pressure will be constant, which it wont be with a tank-less compressor, and the moisture trap ensures that you never get nasty and unexpected spatters while you're spraying. And the compressor is actually pretty small as well (about 15x30x30 cm) and it's relatively silent and only switches on when the tank starts to lose a certain amount of pressure.