PDA

View Full Version : 40K Trolls

crazyredpraetorian
08-26-2009, 02:37 PM
What do you guys...and girls, think about 40K trolls? You know the guys that are every website griping about and knocking every list and new codex. They never have anything good to say about anything. It seems that nothing is as good as their "special" lists. They never show up at any cons or tourneys and if they do, they don't win, usually because some one cheated or their were politics involved. You know "That Guy" and there are several of them. So,what is your opinion of the 40K troll?

oni
08-26-2009, 02:54 PM
I can't say I know anyone who likes them. The unfortunate reality is that they'll always be around... lurking under bridges and what-not.

Drunkencorgimaster
08-26-2009, 03:35 PM
I thought Trolls were in Warhammer Fantasy Battles?

Valdore
08-26-2009, 04:11 PM
Well, my personal feelings toward trolls of any kind (bar ogryns ;)) are . . . well, normally violent :p Can't stand them, they ruin everything for everyone . . .

blueshift
08-26-2009, 04:38 PM
you know there are funny trolls, too.

like telling your opponent with a straight face that your librarian has a 2+ invulnerable because "the emperor protects" or trying to convince him that your terminators are so badass they have a 1+ armor save.

these are simple, harmless trolls.

you can also step it up a notch and record fake conversations with GW staff over rules arguments ("yes, your drop pods will never scatter!), or forge emails from the roolzboys. acting on these trolls is up to the player. i usually just do it for the reaction, and quickly reneg my claim.

other good trolls are marines in pink armor, bolters with periscopes on bases, using dice that light up, fielding bases instead of models, etc.

your imagination can take their anger anywhere!
*reading rainbow music*

oni
08-26-2009, 07:24 PM
you know there are funny trolls, too.

like telling your opponent with a straight face that your librarian has a 2+ invulnerable because "the emperor protects" or trying to convince him that your terminators are so badass they have a 1+ armor save.

these are simple, harmless trolls.

you can also step it up a notch and record fake conversations with GW staff over rules arguments ("yes, your drop pods will never scatter!), or forge emails from the roolzboys. acting on these trolls is up to the player. i usually just do it for the reaction, and quickly reneg my claim.

other good trolls are marines in pink armor, bolters with periscopes on bases, using dice that light up, fielding bases instead of models, etc.

your imagination can take their anger anywhere!
*reading rainbow music*

It may just be the alcohol talking, but that's damn funny. :D

Firefox + drunk posting FTW... In line spell check rulz!

Old_Paladin
08-26-2009, 07:56 PM
I thought Trolls were in Warhammer Fantasy Battles?

LOL.
At first, I thought this might be a weird News/Rumors thing, from the title.

Commissar Lewis
08-26-2009, 08:32 PM
Well, after two of browsing CE on Gamefaqs, I have learned some anti-troll tricks:

1. Reverse Troll - identify the troll's weakness and attack it, i.e their favorite faction, list, unit, etc.
2. Ignore - everytime they talk mentally replace their voice with something else, i.e a song, sound, joke, etc.
3. Offensive/ Blitz tactic - now, this often will make you look like a jackass, but flaming/insulting/punching a troll can stop them.

And also, drunken posting and browsing online is fun as hell, to whomever posted it.

Deej
08-27-2009, 02:32 AM
I've been out of 40k since 2nd Edition, pretty much. Back when I first started, hell, I didn't have a soundcard or CD-ROM drive, let alone internet access!

It's changed my perception of the game a lot having web communities. On the one hand it's utterly superb for rules checks, finding out about new stuff, and generally just nerding about. However I'm constantly reading tales of woe that 5th Ed. is broken, Tyranids are never going to win a battle, GW are going to go bust and are milking us for our money, etcetera etcetera.

I think there's too many moaners :)

OT: Why do people think Tyranids are so crap in 5th Ed.? My gaming buddies and I are hardly pros, but I've won my last 4 games with a 'nid army. What are there major weaknesses in the current rules? Maybe it's just my immense skill (!) but I can't see they're that unbalanced.

EmperorEternalXIX
08-27-2009, 02:45 AM
I believe you are referring to the entire Warseer community.

It seems that over there, all anyone does is talk about how terrible, unbalanced, unplayable, and idiotically designed the game is.

Kahoolin
08-27-2009, 05:59 AM
Hate to ask the obvious question then but... why do they play it? :D

Abominable Plague Marine
08-27-2009, 06:19 AM
I wouldnt normally comment on a topic like this, as it is in a sense, considered "Trolling".

My favourite "worst kind of troll" are those that played the game back in the day, yet still lurk in the forums and let everyone know what they think, gernally (but not limited to) those that beat on about how great 2nd ed or Rogue Trader were, or yell bring back Squats (they're DEAD Jim), or insist on correcting peoples opinions rather than stay on topic.

Yeah, tongue in cheek! Game on, Trolls add nothing to a community such as this one and unfortunately Ive found discomfort in some forums. I generally just float around and check out the hobby sections and try and give encouragement or at least a different way of thinking.

Vulkan He'stan
08-31-2009, 08:15 PM
boo trolls yay beer

BlacknightIII
08-31-2009, 08:35 PM
boo trolls yay beer

Someone give this man a medal, smartest thing ive heard anyone say in a long time! :D

Katie Drake
08-31-2009, 10:03 PM

*snickers* Too true.

Man, and here I was thinking that this thread was going to be talking about the possibility of Trolls (as in the creatures from Warhammer Fantasy) still existing in the 41st Millenium. I mean, they already have Ogres and Halflings in the form of Ogryns and Ratlings, so why not Trolls, too? Or Minotaurs...

Old_Paladin
09-01-2009, 06:49 AM
Someone give this man a medal, smartest thing ive heard anyone say in a long time! :D

Seconded

CaptainLoken
09-01-2009, 12:26 PM
I actually found this site due to Trolls. So, I guess all I can say is "thank you"!

I have not gone to two other site because the anti-GW hate has become the main source of posts. I actually tried to say something about all of the "Down with GW" hate, and was basically told that I was "closed minded" and "just as bad as a Troll", because I did not accept that not everyone likes GW. My response to them was, "Why are you posting on a GW themed site if you do not like them"? I never did get a response...

PlaguedOne
09-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Trolls are everywhere. It doesn't matter in which fandom you look, there will be trolls trying to spoil it for everybody.

The best bit of advice one can give is: Do not feed the trolls.

Simply put; ignore them. They're going for attention. If you do not give it to them, they will get bored of the effort and move on.

darth_papi76
09-01-2009, 12:37 PM
Weren't the people who take your order from GW on the phone called trolls at some point?

Old Grey Knight
09-01-2009, 12:38 PM
Silly trolls rules are for kids....just very old kids who play with little war barbies.
But Rules Trolls are the worst. they argue about stupid things and make the game un-fun. and not just on the internet. All it takes is someone reading a troll thread and taking it as gospel because they read it on the web and ruining your game at the FLGS. And Yes I miss terminators having a 3+ plus save on 2d6

Old Grey Knight

melloracer
09-01-2009, 12:46 PM

It seems that over there, all anyone does is talk about how terrible, unbalanced, unplayable, and idiotically designed the game is.

Agreed....one reason why I never visit the site anymore.

SonsOfLoki
09-01-2009, 12:59 PM
I know at least 3 'Trolls' at my Friendly Local Game Store, but me and the other 300 guys that go there tend to ignore them

Starion
09-01-2009, 02:19 PM
My response to them was, "Why are you posting on a GW themed site if you do not like them"? I never did get a response...

Kudos to the man that can shut a troll (or indeed entire forum of trolls, unless anyone knows the correct collective noun for 'em?) up. Generally when people clam up like that, that's when you know you're right (and they're wrong ). Granted we don't tend to have trolls in my LGW, but there's one or two of us that do still think about bringing back the good-old days. I always get a giggle out of saying my 1st ed Fury (Furibundus class dreadnaught) should be venerable due to the sheer fact the model's older than my opponent :)

PS: Beer + posting FTW thirded - bottle of La Trappe Dubbel next to me as I type :)

EmperorEternalXIX
09-01-2009, 03:03 PM
The main reason I decided to stop visiting (or at least post minimally) on Warseer is because of this sort of thing.

It might sound strange but...I actually like the game. I also like all the things the company does.

I was reminded of it today as I paid a visit and saw another Shrike thread. It really hit me that I hated the place during one of the numerous Shrike infiltration arguments. Someone had quoted from the rules and found grounds that made the Shrike infiltration rule perfectly legal and reasonable, but he was completely ignored. At that point as I talked a lot about the versatility of Guard mech vets lists I amassed a crew of guys who started going into threads I posted in and gave me grief. One guy flat out told me to get a life. I reported all of these harassing posts but they continued undeterred. So I just didn't bother anymore.

Whitehorn
09-01-2009, 03:11 PM
Trolls? Ignore them or beat them down into the mud.

solarmus
09-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Most are just attention seekers, or people who just like to see their names in type on a big name site. The occasional troll will actually have a good sense of humor and break the tension of a serious thread with some comedy relief. So mostly I like the latter, and indifferent towards the former as they're inevitable.