PDA

View Full Version : 2-Player Board Games

Useless
12-10-2010, 10:43 PM
I'm looking for some good 2-player board games (a la Settlers of Catan, etc). Does anyone have any recommendations?

Bean
12-12-2010, 02:23 AM
Carcassonne and Carcassonne: the Castle are great games by Rio Grande. Carcassone is a two to five player game, but works fine with two players, while the Castle is a strictly two-player variant with a few tweaks. Both are great games with fairly unique mechanics. They're "race" type games rather than "war" type games--you're competing to gain more points than your opponent rather than to beat your opponent's guys or take their stuff. That said, it still has fairly deep strategy. It's got an element of luck, but one which is not really as pronounced as that in Settlers.

Ticket to Ride and Samurai are two more games that I really like. Both are multi-player games, but work well with two players as well.

Herald of Nurgle
12-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Search Magdar, a simple Fantasy Flight Game. It's a fun little aside to convention life.

Useless
12-12-2010, 10:28 PM
I've got Carcassone, but can't seem to sell it to people.
(full disclosure: I'm trying to start a game night at the Applebee's where I work)
The other games sound like they'd be a good start though. I'll have to see if I can find them on the cheap somewhere. Thanks guys.

Greggle
03-24-2012, 08:09 AM
Pandemic is pretty fun with 2 people, as it is a coop game versus the board.

RFHolloway
03-26-2012, 06:55 AM
boardgamegeek is your friend. settlers doesn't really work with 2 (3 or 4 is much better) - battle line? lost cities? depends how gateway you need the games to be but Memoir 44 might be good as well.

VTSvsAlucard
03-27-2012, 08:19 AM
As mentioned, BGG is your best place to research new games.

I like the following personally:

Twilight Struggle (number 1 rated on BGG going on years)
Smallworld (Scales well from 2 to 5)
Race for the Galaxy (quick; scales well)
Last Night on Earth (My girlfriend loves this one; for two I think it is alright)
Pandemic (mentioned)
Dominion (deckbuilder)