PDA

View Full Version : Which bit do You need?

joedrache
12-08-2010, 02:03 PM
So im currently working on creating a combi-melta for my space wolves as there's no model for it in the kit. Then there's the lack of blood talons. I'm wondering what other wargear is available in the codex but not in the model set. What bit do you need or want for your army? left-handed chainsaw plasmagun? helmets with night vision goggles?

weeble1000
12-08-2010, 02:07 PM
Shotguns for Imperial Guard vets. Carapace armor. Melta bombs that aren't sized for space marines.

Lerra
12-08-2010, 02:45 PM
All of the combi-weapons are hard to find, but there are some fairly easy conversions that look good. You can also get pretty much any 3rd party gun and just call it a combi-melta if you need a lot of them. Few people know what a "real" combi-melta looks like because they are so rare.

One of my lists runs close to 30 combi-weapons, and buying 30 SM commander kits wasn't exactly realistic. I haven't had any complaints on the conversions.

Drew da Destroya
12-08-2010, 08:36 PM
I'm pretty spoiled by the Ork range (also, everybody else's ranges as looted...), although I wouldn't mind a good source of... honestly, I don't know what to ask for. I'd say Snazzgunz, but I'm pretty proud of my conversions already. I could also say Grotzookas, but I just finished converting another 2 (to go with the stock one in the Kanz kit).

Now, for my Dark Eldar, I don't know what I need yet, although I'd like some alternative Agonizers... the Whips are cool, but that's not the only type of Agonizer out there. Some kind of pain glove would be sweet.

somerandomdude
12-08-2010, 11:08 PM
Now, for my Dark Eldar, I don't know what I need yet, although I'd like some alternative Agonizers... the Whips are cool, but that's not the only type of Agonizer out there. Some kind of pain glove would be sweet.

Tyranid rending claws maybe, with a couple spikes maybe?

I would like shard carbines and haywire blasters, because I'm going to be using quite a few Scourges, but I'm planning on using Swooping Hawks as a base, so the sun rilfes could work as carbines, and I'm thinking if I put the end of a shredder onto a gun it'll work as a haywire blaster.

Also, liquifier guns. The old destructors are nice, but something that is seperate and easy to attach to another model would be great.

Thorsson
12-09-2010, 12:32 PM
There is a combi-melta in the SM commander kit btw.

If anything left handed bolters/lasguns, give a little diversity in the ranks!

Drew da Destroya
12-09-2010, 01:28 PM

Good thought, man. I was thinking of just adding some hooks from the Ork Trukk kit to one of the normal gauntlets, but the rending claw would look a lot cooler.

joedrache
12-09-2010, 01:34 PM

I would like shard carbines and haywire blasters, because I'm going to be using quite a few Scourges, but I'm planning on using Swooping Hawks as a base, so the sun rilfes could work as carbines, and I'm thinking if I put the end of a shredder onto a gun it'll work as a haywire blaster.

Also, liquifier guns. The old destructors are nice, but something that is seperate and easy to attach to another model would be great.

Does this mean the DE codex has weapons available that are not in the kits? I've not read it yet.

Im able to create almost anything, im getting into 3d prototyping...
the detail is not quite as fine as GW, but its pretty damn impressive and easy to create something that would be impossible for any but a pro sculptor.

So of course im seeing potential for business with the intent of supplementing the GW line. i'll post pics of what i've got so far.

joedrache
12-09-2010, 01:41 PM
3d model version 2 http://www.joedrachekicksass.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/lanser.jpg
actual model version1(was later beefed up for version 2 http://www.joedrachekicksass.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/dscn5243.jpg
model shown with GAMES WORKSHOP models for scale comparison http://www.joedrachekicksass.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/dscn5236.jpg.w560h747.jpg
my attempt at a combi-plasmer http://www.joedrachekicksass.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/combiplasmer.jpg

C&C please!
suggestions?
i'll post more pics as i get models

Xas
12-09-2010, 02:19 PM
well the GW DE kits have all you want for that unit.
but there are units without kits that have weapons no other unit can take (handheld heat lances and haywire blasters).

all of this would be fine if GW did a scourges box (but I guess it will be in 2nd wave as it is so obvious cause you need all the weapon bits to weaponize your taloi).

Lerra
12-09-2010, 02:35 PM
I like the idea, although the spiky bits on the outside look more Orky than Imperial to me.

It would be cool to see a combination Boltgun/Chainsword. It makes for very cool looking Grey Hunters and works for Chaos Space Marines too.

What kind of equipment do you use for 3d prototyping?

archimbald
12-09-2010, 03:08 PM
autocad 3D, google sketchup, theres a bundle of options out there

joedrache
12-09-2010, 05:33 PM
its actually meant to be a chainsaw around the front of the gun, its kind of robbed from gears of war... this size if detail is at the limit of possibility. that is, if i wanted more detail to the chain teeth, id hafta make them bigger, so i settled for it.

Lerra
12-09-2010, 05:44 PM
I was wondering about the hardware more than the software.

There are companies that make 3d prototypes for a reasonable fee (you email them a software file, and they mail you the part). Most machines seem to be made to build much larger pieces though, and I haven't seen anyone use 3d prototyping for miniature bits so I'm not sure how well it would work.

This seems like it turned out very well, though =)

rustbucket
12-10-2010, 09:35 AM

There are certainly no brainers for many weapons that instictively they should put onto a sprue layout. Sort of disappointed with many boxed sets where things get "left" out. It seems that often the design team isn't connected in that part of the process. But as a positive, there are usually some pretty cool conversions that come out of the community when they don't supply them.