PDA

View Full Version : Personal Army Fluff!

ColonelElibas
12-08-2010, 01:46 PM
Does anyone actually build a back history behind their armies to fit within the 40K Canon? Anyone who creates their own Chapter, Regiment, Craftworld, Cabal, Hive Fleet, WAAAGH, Chaos Chapter, Necon Circuit, Tau Sept, Daemon Enclave, and Inquisitorial Leaders actually bother to create a story with their armies instead of playing them?

Take for instance my Guard Army, the Cadian 432nd under the command of Colonel Von Elsign. I chose a brief backlog of events that created the 432nd and then after I would play a certain game or played a really close battle, I'd scribble down the army and its name and add it, eventually making a 3 page timeline of events; beginning after the events of Tyrok Fields.

After I finish painting that Army, I have another regiment in the wind located in the Segmentum Pacificus, the remnants of Solar Mecharius's Army.

Does anyone else have fun doing this? Or is it all about the game and the rules?

Grailkeeper
12-08-2010, 02:06 PM
My army is DEFINITELY fluff driven. A space marine chapter called the Grailkeepers (from which I draw my profile name) they were a secret imperial fist successor chapter guarding a terrible imperial secret relic and holding the mother of all grudges against traitors and heretics.

I could go further into their fluff but I wrote it before I knew as much of the backround of other chapters so it seems a bit like blood angels/dark angels/Black templars.

Every character was not only named but had a personality to match. For example Chaplin Baruchas was particularly hate-filled and was an aggressive commander. I would play him as such, sometimes if it was fluffy, to his detriment- throwing him after an enemy commander like abaddon he couldn't match but would definitely try and take down

Every squad was named, and its commander too if he was a veteran sarge or higher. Ditto tanks and dreds.

I used to write up every battle after noting events and awarding a MVP thing too the best performing model.

Fun times.

Mind you I have never played in a tourniment and am more of the hobbiest than a competitve player. I mostly played against my friends or what ever randomer I could come across in a shop. I won more than I lost tho!