PDA

View Full Version : Kings Of War

Emperorsmercy
12-08-2010, 02:27 AM
Okay, now Mantic has just released it's rules and it's army lists on it's website for free. You can look at them here:

http://www.manticgames.com/Hobby/Gaming.html

SO! once you've had a look, what are your initial thoughts? I like the rules, and I think they are a good step forward for a company who already makes some great minituares (Apart from the Elves obviously.). They are very fast, and very brutal. Not sure I like the preset unit sizes, but we'll see how this changes in the future.

So how are you finding it?

Night System
12-11-2010, 06:29 PM
I have had a glance over, they do look good. I am quite drawn to the unit damage mechanics, abstract but are very intuitive.

The only problem is that i beleive they should change the name from Kings of War to SimpleHammer

Chugosh
12-18-2010, 11:16 AM
I really dig the simplicity of the rules.
The damage mechanic is really cool. Instead of trying to kill everyone, you are trying to make them run away in fear. This works better for me when playing with my kids, pulling the action from "R" to "PG".
The models are pretty kewl, too, but the rules are broad enough that you could play with other models or even no models at all. To play test the rules, I simply cut out apropriately sized blocks of foamcore; essentially giant counters. My eight year old handed me my hat, but then he is naturally agressive, and the skellies and zombies wre just too much for my dwarves.

Anyway, two thums up.

Chugosh
01-02-2011, 11:20 PM
Well, I upgraded my giant counters with paper miniatures from "onemonk" and made a few more units including some cavalry. I once again had my hat handed me by the boy, only we'd switched armies. For an eight year old, he has great luck with the dice! Anyway the game holds up rather well.

I'm such a fan, in fact, that I have determined to run a few sessions and a small tourney at the upcoming local game convention in place of my usual RPGs.

Asymmetrical Xeno
01-18-2011, 11:55 AM
The rules look great, but sadly their miniatures despite the good prices dont appeal to me. I hope they come up with some more original fantasy races than continuing with the other overused tropes.

eldargal
01-19-2011, 10:01 AM
I like their Undead, but the Dwarfs are some of the worst miniatures I've ever seen and the Elves not much better.
I've not looked at the rules much myself, they seem well puttogether though. I know some people who use the rules with GW figures.:rolleyes:

Mauglum.
02-25-2011, 05:50 AM
Hi folks.
The KoW rules are developed for gamers who like playing .(Not those that want to spend hours writing out army lists :D.)

And even though they only cover 12 pages , they allow for a similar amount of gameplay to WHFB.

Because they written for mass battles , they can cope with realy huge games.(And do we know many people with loads of minatures .....:D)

As Mantic minatures are true scale they are astheticaly different to Citadel Minatures 'heroic style'.
Asthetics are personal preference , but the Mantic minatures I have seen close up are VERY high quality sculpts. (I would say the undead are better than GWs offerings by a long way!)
And lets face it , at the resonable prices its far less of a barrier to starting a new army. And more new armies and new players is what the TTMG hobby thrives on!

I have noticed how a few more Ex GWs are working at Mantic now .(Guy Haley and Jake Thornton.)
And the new boxed games look like a great way to expand the use for their minature ranges.

If I was to list out what I want from a games-minatures company , Mantic tick all the boxes.
(Talking of boxes you can use the box the minatures come in, to transport them when thay are built and painted!)

Yes I am an unashamed Mantic fan....great gameplay and value for money !

TTFN