PDA

View Full Version : Sm rule

Pendragon38
12-04-2010, 01:17 AM
So I have a question about the thunder fire cannon tech-marine? In the codex there is no mention that the tech-marine cant have servitors with him, But it says that any/all tech marines can have 1-4 Servitors in the codex. so help if you can:confused: thanks

Connjurus
12-04-2010, 04:15 AM
He can't - it's not listed under that specific entry's upgrade list.

isotope99
12-04-2010, 05:25 AM
The fluff explanation would be that he'd be too busy with the cannon, it'd also be a bit unfair if you could use them to soak up shots intended for the thunderfire.

Tynskel
12-04-2010, 08:07 AM
Even if you could take them, you could not join them to the tech marine, because the twchmarine is not an independent character until the TFC was destroyed.

zenjah
12-04-2010, 11:44 AM
He can't - it's not listed under that specific entry's upgrade list.

It is not listed as an upgrade in the regular Techmarines unit entry either. The rule that allows you to "include one unit of Servitors for every Techmarine or Master of the Forge in your army" is in the separate entry for Servitors.

Since the entry for Thunderfire Cannon uses the term "Techmarine" in the unit profile, an argument could be made that you can include a unit of Servitors in the army by RAW. However, the entry also uses the term "Techmarine Gunner" in the unit composition, which some would say differentiates it from a "Techmarine."

Either way, as Tynskel said, they could not join him until the Cannon was destroyed. They would spend a lot of time in Mindlock, so would be a bad idea.

I suppose it would be funny to see 40 Servitors in one army...

Connjurus
12-04-2010, 01:25 PM
It is not listed as an upgrade in the regular Techmarines unit entry either. The rule that allows you to "include one unit of Servitors for every Techmarine or Master of the Forge in your army" is in the separate entry for Servitors.

Since the entry for Thunderfire Cannon uses the term "Techmarine" in the unit profile, an argument could be made that you can include a unit of Servitors in the army by RAW. However, the entry also uses the term "Techmarine Gunner" in the unit composition, which some would say differentiates it from a "Techmarine."

Either way, as Tynskel said, they could not join him until the Cannon was destroyed. They would spend a lot of time in Mindlock, so would be a bad idea.

I suppose it would be funny to see 40 Servitors in one army...

By god...you're right.

Would be a hilarious way to represent an Ad-mech army, wouldn't it?

Tynskel
12-04-2010, 01:44 PM
By god...you're right.

Would be a hilarious way to represent an Ad-mech army, wouldn't it?

You can do that pretty much already.take a bunch of tech marines, take some scouts, take some tanks, take land speeders. Maybe a center piece land raider.

Connjurus
12-04-2010, 05:29 PM
After reading through the codex, I actually think I'm going to have to retract my previous answer and say that yes, you can in fact take Servitors for them - they won't be able to be attached to said Gunner until the Thunderfire Cannon is destroyed, but it specifically refers to the Techmarine Gunner as a Techmarine, with all powers available to him, and he's treated in all respects as a regular Techmarine once the Thunderfire Cannon is destroyed.

So yes, you could. ;)

Pendragon38
12-04-2010, 11:06 PM
Thanks I thought I was reading it wrong but the more I read it seemed you could have servitros for the cannon and marine thank you guys for the help with that. know I have a spot for my four other Servitors

Tynskel
12-05-2010, 08:47 AM
just remember, the servitors are a separate unit-- only independent characters can join, and the Thunderfire Cannon Techmarines ONLY becomes an independent character when the cannon is destroyed.

Paul
12-08-2010, 12:27 PM
just remember, the servitors are a separate unit-- only independent characters can join, and the Thunderfire Cannon Techmarines ONLY becomes an independent character when the cannon is destroyed.

If that is true, then Techmarines can never join servitors.

Techmarines are NOT independent characters, IIRC.

SeattleDV8
12-09-2010, 01:14 AM
SM Codex Pg.138 Techmarine / Elite / Special Rules: Independent Character.

sebi81
12-09-2010, 09:20 AM
I don't get why everyone wants to take servitors for the techmarine gunner. He can't join them and they aren't really that good without a joined techmarine or am I missing something?

Techmarines chosen from the elites slot are for sure independent characters. The last time techmarines weren't ICs was in the third edition codex, when they were part of the command squad.

Tynskel
12-09-2010, 03:58 PM
I don't get why everyone wants to take servitors for the techmarine gunner. He can't join them and they aren't really that good without a joined techmarine or am I missing something?

Techmarines chosen from the elites slot are for sure independent characters. The last time techmarines weren't ICs was in the third edition codex, when they were part of the command squad.

They will work 50% of the time, 1, and 2, when the TFC is popped, the techmarne can join them. This may not be the most competitive use of points, however, this can fit one's theme they are attempting to create for their army.