PDA

View Full Version : Painting Iron

Aegis
08-26-2009, 12:02 AM
So, as I was assembling yet another Exorcist tank, I had the amusing idea to paint the organ part of the tank as though it were made of iron, so I could refer to that particular tank as my 'Iron Maiden'. However, I realized that I am really unsure how to create such an effect.

My first instinct would be a mix of boltgun metal and chaos black, and then lightly highlight it from there. Alternatively, boltgun metal, with a heavy inking of badab black...

Either way, I am not sure how it would turn. So, I come here, in hopes that someone has attempted such a colour before, and may have any advice to offer.

Rafen
08-26-2009, 06:02 AM
Are you unsure about painting the actual iron or the weathering of the metal?
One tip i can offer would be to use more layers of boltgun metal that i diluted then the one thick coat and then doing a wash with the badab black and then depending on what color you going to age it wash it with the chosen color and then to highlight use boltgun metal and then highlight with chainmail. If you do this its a lot of work but in the end it will come out looking nice. I am not the best painter but this is what i have learned over the years and going to the Chicago battle bunker.

bsmoove
08-26-2009, 10:34 AM
Rune Neilsen has some amazing techniques and tutorials for metals:

http://www.jrn-works.dk/

He's won a few Golden Daemons and a few Slayer Swords in his time, although he has slowed down a bit recently due to the pressures of parenthood.

One great trick I learned from the site is to NOT use black inks for shading iron or steel metals. Instead, he blends green and purple inks to create a really rich and deep blackish color that more accurately resembles how metals reflect light. Strange. I know. But it works.

Highly recommended. In fact, his most recent post is an old school chaos warrior done almost entirely in some amazing metals.

Aegis
08-26-2009, 11:18 AM
Rune Neilsen has some amazing techniques and tutorials for metals:

http://www.jrn-works.dk/

He's won a few Golden Daemons and a few Slayer Swords in his time, although he has slowed down a bit recently due to the pressures of parenthood.

One great trick I learned from the site is to NOT use black inks for shading iron or steel metals. Instead, he blends green and purple inks to create a really rich and deep blackish color that more accurately resembles how metals reflect light. Strange. I know. But it works.

Highly recommended. In fact, his most recent post is an old school chaos warrior done almost entirely in some amazing metals.

Nice link there. Will read through it all tonight after work.

So, to respond to Rafen, you suggest using multiple layers of watered down boltgun, eh? I have a couple models kicking around that I can try that out with, see if I get the desired affect.

One thing I believe I need to clarify, though, is that I am not attempting to show iron revealed through weathering, but actual iron, as though the organ was never painted. I am fearing that the non-metallic metal is the way to go. Kind of nervous, as I have not tried that style before...

Rafen
08-27-2009, 09:55 AM
When you water down the boltgun metal it is not going to look right at first. It will be just like taking the nnm style but applying it to true metallic. It all depends on if your going for tt quality or that of higher caliber. Its a good idea to test it out on those extra minis. lets us know how it comes out.