PDA

View Full Version : Dead Men Walking

Renegade
11-28-2010, 02:25 PM
Has anyone else read it yet?

A great, brutal, DKoK story.

I think the only character that didnt really seem to fit was the Commissar of the 186, though I think that was purposefully done.

Bigred
11-28-2010, 02:50 PM
Did you like it?

I think it was the one novel I've read with the "grimdark" set to 11.

The insights into the Death Korps were great, and the Commissar was a nice variant from what you normally see.

It was the Necrons who felt really flat and awkward. I'm also not a big fan of building up major characters and relationships to throw them away haphazardly.

I think it was all purposely done to show the bitterness of the Necrons vs Death Korps concept, but its also supposed to be an book read for entertainment, not a detailed history of WW1.

It wasn't bad by any means, but it left a bitter taste in my mouth and perhaps that was the point.

Renegade
11-28-2010, 04:01 PM
I thought it was great, and it will definately get a reread at some point.

I think "grimdark set to 11" is an over statement, bitter sure, but imho, Flesh and Iron was more "grimdark". Loved how it fleshed out the DKoK a bit more, and I am not sure what would be worse to have land on ones door step, yet didnt go over the top.

The Commissar felt a bit "weak" as a character, imo, and a little 'whiney' at times.

1419 has to be one of my favourites, fantastic character growth.

I havent found any author do a "great" job on Necrons, I think flat seems to be something that they are, they are not T100's the are some xeno, and I think they were reasonable, didnt offer any insights though.

But hey, I'm a fan of the Black Adder series, and that last bit of the book reminded me a little of a last episode of Black Adder goes Fourth.

Connjurus
11-28-2010, 05:49 PM
Sandy Mitchell's done a pretty good job on writing Necron.

Cyberscape7
11-29-2010, 03:51 AM
Oh thats another necron sighting! Its only a matter of months now!!!

Renegade
11-30-2010, 03:18 PM
Sandy Mitchell's done a pretty good job on writing Necron.

To be honest, these weren't bad, and if they were really given much more of a personality they would have had about the same if not more than the DKoK.

mikethefish
11-30-2010, 11:21 PM
Sandy Mitchel is decent, though I shall probably give this one a pass as I don't really read anything 40k that isn't Ciaphus Cain at this point.

Renegade
12-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Looking around it seems that its been reviewed.

I agree with what is said as being accurate. If you what to know more, follow this link and read both pages. (http://z4.invisionfree.com/Boot_Camp/index.php?showtopic=13470&st=0)