PDA

View Full Version : Necron Tomb Stalker thoughts

hewhowalks
11-26-2010, 09:41 AM
Anyone else messed around with the Tomb Stalker?

A buddy plays necrons and tried it out in a 1500 point game against my guard. I'm still pretty new to competitive play, so I just run the typical melta/plasma vet mech spam list with a couple russes and a vendetta.

I was using Marbo, who basically just deployed near the stalker, threw his demo pack at its face (I know, waste of a blast template) and started waving his arms to distract it for a round while I got a melta vet chimera in position. The stalker then charged Marbo, who didn't last long. Lucky rolls with the melta guns and multilaser made short work of it.

I think next time my buddy will know to just ignore the Marbo appetiser and head for the main course (chimeras).

Seems to me like the tomb stalker, although a cool, monsterous fig. Is just one more necron unit you have to ignore while shooting warriors and hoping for phase out. This is a little harder since it's basically a "super-wraith" that wants to zoom across the table and get in your face. I think it's a neat addition, but doesn't seem to drastically change up the necron play style, or my game plan for dealing with the army.

I don't play Necrons, but I play against them a lot. Seems like their tactics are so straightforward that a new unit would be an opportunity to shake things up, not just another "star god" type model to throw a speedbump unit at.

I'd like to see it in a few more games. Just checking to see if others have played or faced it on the table? Also, any rumors if it will be a codex unit or only used in apoc?

game on!

Tynskel
11-26-2010, 09:54 AM
well, in theory, you should be hard pressed to ignore it. It is relatively inexpensive for a monsterous creature. Sort of.

Forgeworld usually makes their stuff more expensive than it is worth. For example: Gauss Flayers? Really? It should have 2 Gauss Cannons--- what monsterous creature fire up to 4 str 4 shots?? That, and it should have Gauss Flux Arcs. Then it would be arcing lighting bolts all over the place, and would be an entertaining model.

Otherwise, it is pretty fast, and it is brutal in CC. Something that Necrons could use.
I also think this thing should be toughness 8. Then the 'war construct' rule would make sense: then the weapon of choice would be Missiles and Lascannons.

I don't think it is something to ignore--- being able to deep strike and fleet, mean that it can get to you quickly, rather than something like the Deceiver and Nightbringer--- those two can be ignored for a turn or two. When the Stalker is at point blank range, from the get go, it is a good idea to blast it.

hewhowalks
11-26-2010, 10:00 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot it was fleet. That along with the burrow, ignore terrain rule (I forget the actual name) lets it go where it wants. I also think giving it flux arcs would make things intersting.

... I can't believe I'm pushing to give my necron opponent a more powerful unit :p