PDA

View Full Version : Spearhead: Mechanised Assault and Storm Ravens

Strangleweb
11-25-2010, 03:56 AM
Hey guys, see what you think to this one that came up at games night this week:

We were playing a game of spearhead, and a friend had a Storm Raven with an assault squad and a furioso. He was using the Mechanised Assault spearhead formation which states:

Up to three vehicle units with a transport capacity. For each vehicle taken, you must take one unit of any type, from one or more entries in the army list, that can transported in the vehicle.

All of the units in the Mechanised Assault Spearhead must be mounted in their transports and placed in reserve. However, they will always arrive in their side’s first turn (no roll is necessary), in the same manner as an outflanking unit. Roll only once to see which table edge the spearhead arrives on; all units in the spearhead will arrive on this edge.

The query was, could you mount both the Dread and the infantry in the Storm Raven? The red text implies that only one unit could be mounted, but I allowed him to go for it since the Storm Raven is a special case that can transport 2 units at once, and I think it is a rules loophole/oversight. I justified it with the blue text which 'could' imply that you can select units from multiple entries in the army list, but I guess this just means that each Storm Raven could carry a different unit.

Thoughts?

Xas
11-25-2010, 04:14 AM
you are right that it basically is an oversight because the stormraven is the only model that can be taken for the formation that can transport two units (only others that can are superheavies).

basically it means "take that many non-empthy vehicles"

dannyat2460
11-25-2010, 07:00 AM
Look at it this way yes it could be a little cheesy as I use storm ravens myself and in normal games wish they could outflank :( but he had to pay the points for such tactics and there not cheep units to field.

Just out of curiosity how did the battle go with that tactic been used?

lobster-overlord
11-25-2010, 07:20 AM
Was the game fun, or was it over powered by having th extra Dread? If it was fun, would it really matter?

It only says "must take" but it does not preclued from taking additional units does it? "Must take one" usually implies a minimum and not a maximum. If you can take additional units from your army list to be support to the remaining army list, then it would be within the realm to take additional Dreads, and by capicity allowance, pop him on the SR as well.

John M.

Strangleweb
11-25-2010, 07:45 AM
It was a cracking game, which is all that matters! I only raised it because a few people at the club were questioning it (not me though!).

Anyway - the game. Because I knew I might get outflanked, I had my 'sacrificial' parts of my force on the flanks, so he assaulted and destroyed an empty rhino and a Predator with his assault squad and dread.

My next turn, I melta'd the dread and destroyed it, charged his assault squad with my own assault squad and managed to knock both of the main guns off the Stormraven with my sole remaining tank hunter rifleman dreadnought. Unfortunately, the Raven then blew up my dread with a single bloodstrike shot, before I took it out the following turn.

Final result was a very slender victory to me. 3 objectives to 2.

DarkLink
11-25-2010, 02:10 PM
Actually, your red text doesn't imply that you can't take more than one unit. It simply states that you must take one unit. It does not disallow you from taking two, so long as you can embark both of them.

Basically, it states you must take at least one unit, and that you must embark them (which normally limits you to one unit, but not in the case of the Storm Raven).

dannyat2460
11-26-2010, 05:30 AM
Actually, your red text doesn't imply that you can't take more than one unit. It simply states that you must take one unit. It does not disallow you from taking two, so long as you can embark both of them.

Basically, it states you must take at least one unit, and that you must embark them (which normally limits you to one unit, but not in the case of the Storm Raven).

Sounds correct to me

Connjurus
11-26-2010, 06:18 AM

Man, you always beat me to this kind of thing.

But pretty much what it says.

After all, does the Mechanized Spearhead prevent you from bringing a squad with an IC attached? No, it does not. Therefor, Dreadnoughts away!

Or Deadnought, in this case. Har har.

Tynskel
11-26-2010, 09:41 AM
You guys are looking at it wrong---- you take the Dreadnought as the 'must' unit and infantry as the extra!