PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Box = Space Hulk

Bigred
07-30-2009, 09:00 AM
Not a big surprize, but numerous Gamesday-Chicago attendees said they dropped hints only a dullard would miss.

Now we can all have even more plastic termys, genestealers, and supposidly a new broodlord as well!

What they do for the board tiles will be the real interesting thing to see.

Darkseer
07-30-2009, 02:19 PM
Praise the Emperor! And just when I was thinking of downloading the old board sections and rules.

clkeagle
07-30-2009, 04:44 PM
Hm. So much for the "never been done before" part of the rumor.

This would basically mean that we knew all about its release even before the "mystery box" format became public knowledge. It would also mean they aren't planning to keep it as a general release... would also tell me that the Blood Angel rumors aren't going to be a tie-in to Space Hulk, assuming BA will happen at all.

Most significantly, and perhaps most annoyingly, is the fact that at least 1/4 of the sets sold will simply be thrown into closets for a year or two, with the knowledge they'll be worth about $500 each on eBay. Rather than making large amounts of money for themselves, GW will instead create a situation where individuals will turn a small profit. Odd strategy, to say the least.

daggitkiller
07-31-2009, 11:14 AM
I have a strong suspicion that any 'limited realease' for Space Hulk would pertain only to stores. If it sells that well, I can't imagine them not having it available online. Not keeping it in the stores means they don't have to support it with shelf space, gaming, etc...

Dosadi
07-31-2009, 11:28 AM

One thing GW has never done before is Pre-painted miniatures. Now what better way for GW to break into the revived board game market than coming out with a really high quality product in the form of an all new version of one of their best known and best selling games from the past?

I have a very strong feeling that Space Hulk will not be a "hobby' game but a self contained boardgame containing Pre-painted high detailed plastics and distributing it into every store from your FLGS to Wal-Mart and Toy R Us?

That's my guess, for what it’s worth.

Having spoken with staff who have seen PowerPoint presentations on what's coming out, the only thing they saw about Space Hulk was a graphic of the old logo morphing into the new logo. That’s it. They were told nothing other than they were not to talk about it. The studio has been keeping a very, very tight lid on this and I believe it is because GW is about to enter the Pre-painted market and doesn't want to play their hand just yet.

Dosadi

Nidpenguin
07-31-2009, 11:30 AM
I heard rumors on another forum *coughwarpshadowcough* that it would something never before done because it woould be pre-painted Space Hulk models...
Edit: He beat me too it... Shouldn't have bothered to check how to spell cough...

Darkseer
07-31-2009, 11:33 AM
But I don't want pre painted models. I want terminators and genestealers I can add to my existing armies.

You have to remember that Hero Quest, Space Crusade and Space Hulk was what got everyone who are currently in their late 20s to early 30s into the hobby in the first place. And painting the models from the board game was the first fatal step on to the path of Games Workshop. :D

RealGenius
07-31-2009, 11:53 AM
I wouldn't mind pre-painted; you can always add more paint to make them nicer.

Durfast Spiritwolf
07-31-2009, 11:56 AM
I hope the corridors are nice and wide to take the bigger termie bases we all have now....

Concentrate More
07-31-2009, 12:00 PM
I don't know whether to be happy or sad about prepainted minis.

atreides
07-31-2009, 12:00 PM
Does anyone really need more Termies at this point? I con only speak for myself but I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 35 sitting unassembled or unpainted because I have 40 done already. Black Reach filled me up to the point that I consciously decided that I didn't need an entire Terminator Company. And now there are going to be more? Maybe I just have too much Marine stuff, but who here doesn't have more than 30 Terminators already? And who among us really needs more?

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad they're putting SH out again, but come on...

StaysCrunchyInMilk
07-31-2009, 12:01 PM
But I don't want pre painted models. I want terminators and genestealers I can add to my existing armies.

You have to remember that Hero Quest, Space Crusade and Space Hulk was what got everyone who are currently in their late 20s to early 30s into the hobby in the first place. And painting the models from the board game was the first fatal step on to the path of Games Workshop. :D

True but todays youngsters have the patience of a toddler on coke and candy in a toy store after spending too much time on WOW / flashing lights.

If they want gaming there's heroclicks, (and a zillion similar products. No lucasfilm film is created without a extensive and expensive toy line first - you think i'm joking) magic / pokemon / all the rest.
If childeren were still doing creative/artistic stuff airfix would be around.

Prepainted makes sense as the "not seen before" It's also market competitive.

I'd heard the broodlord is metal - that makes me highly, highly suspicious of this being true - like #Jimminy Cricket# would they put a single metal model in a sold in one board game. It's extra production costs and they really should be able to fit it in a plastic sprue (maybe with the CAT and Librarian? other new stuff?)

Sansa
07-31-2009, 12:04 PM
I am going to try and make my family play this with me when it comes out lol

ChrisW
07-31-2009, 12:17 PM
i was told to prepair to snap one up quick (may be some wife agro) as it will be a limited supply. as for prepainted.... if it is i can use my own minis :P

Slaanesh
07-31-2009, 12:21 PM
for the price they are asking better NOT be pre-painted =/

Silvergoose0
07-31-2009, 12:23 PM
Hi all, this is from games workshop store in England, the rights for all GW board games have been sold to fantasy flight games, so this 'mystery box' isn't space hulk. Though he did confirm that GW email will be sent out August 17th.

Snarf
07-31-2009, 12:26 PM
I for one will be buying ons ASAP. I also hope to get some friends to join in... fat chance.

Bigwill
07-31-2009, 12:29 PM
If they pre-paint them I am instantly going to strip and prime(Or just reprime) them as soon as I open the box
Something they have never done is sell someone elses(Fantasy Flights)game.
They have only ever sold GW stuff.
So it still could possibly be Space Hulk then.

philbrad
07-31-2009, 12:33 PM
Space Hulk doesn't exist you're all deluded :D

GAMES WORKSHOP SAY SO!!

PhilB
:eek:

plastic.legions
07-31-2009, 12:35 PM
Hi all, this is from games workshop store in England, the rights for all GW board games have been sold to fantasy flight games, so this 'mystery box' isn't space hulk. Though he did confirm that GW email will be sent out August 17th.

I don't think Space Hulk counts as a board game in terms of FFG license(or was exlcuded) as two GW notables told me directly at Games Day -that the Mystery Box was Space Hulk...of course they could all be BS'ing us...but I know one of these guys very well..so unless it a coordinated misinformation campaign by GW staff, Its Space Hulk.. I've heard the Pre Painted thing as well..but that was never confirmed

Kaine
07-31-2009, 12:35 PM
In our local GW Store (not naming which) the manager took a series of deposits of £10 for the mystery product due out early Sept. The price was going to be £50 or £60 for the final product.

They've since stopped taking deposits since their no longer sure how many they are getting, but my name is very near the top of the list ;)

They wouldnt confirm or deny the space hulk rumour but we were told we'd get a refund if we didnt want the product, but general view is it is indeed space hulk.

Student Teacher
07-31-2009, 12:36 PM
So so you think the "limited numbers sent to each store, and then no more" rumor is also true? I'd love to get this box, but who knows if I'll get to BFG before the Austin crowd plows in there?

Concentrate More
What if Space Hulk is coming out,but it's just not the Mystery Box?

Alpharius
I can't believe all of the Net's top spies and informers haven't cracked this yet!

Unless, of course, GW gave purposely false clues as to its contents?

Nah, couldn't be...

The Broasted
07-31-2009, 12:37 PM
As a one-off game, I could appreciate pre-painted models. Although, I do agree with the argument for unpainted models that could be use to bolster the line. Either way, I love Space hulk and will most likely pick up the set.

Kaine
07-31-2009, 12:39 PM
Ohh btw if you want to mess with space wolves players tell them its a limited edition battleforce with the codex in it, watching their faces is so funny.

The poor little puppies ;)

Hashshashin
07-31-2009, 12:41 PM
I'm not buying the pre-painted model thing. I hope I can get my grubby mitts on a copy of this, it's a boyhood favorite of mine.

wittdooley
07-31-2009, 12:52 PM
Two Things:

From my understanding, the partnership b/w FFG and GW works like this: FFG will be doing basically all board games and products that DO NOT INCLUDE 28mm miniatures. This would seem to sense so far, as FFG has only released the RPGs, the upcoming Chaos in the old world board game (with smaller minis), and the soon to be release WHFB card game. With that being said, I don't think that a SH reprint would be a part of FFG's license.

Two: Man, I hope they aren't pre-paints. I'm HOPING the new, never done before aspect (assume the ??? Box is SH) is an electronic aspect of the timer or soundtrack. I just can't imagine GW taking the risk of agitating the already loyal customer that spends a LOT of money on their normal product to attract another crowd. Assuming the MSRP of a SH reprint is around $75, that also doesn't seem to be in line with the "grab a new crowd," entry-level pricepoint. My 2C!

Erazoender
07-31-2009, 12:53 PM
Ohh btw if you want to mess with space wolves players tell them its a limited edition battleforce with the codex in it, watching their faces is so funny.

The poor little puppies ;)

*******, you got me hoping. :D

But maybe what they are refering to in the "Never been done before" is the fact that they never did a mystery box?

And if it does turn out to be Space Hulk, this would open a door to a new Tyranid and Blood Angle codex. Meaning that Dark Eldar and Necrons are pushed back again.

I'd be perfectly happy with that. My bugs are seeing the shelves more often because of the increasingly weakened rules.

I mean seriously, Guard are beyond broken. My reserve Genestealers come in on a what??

philbrad
07-31-2009, 12:58 PM
I can't believe all of the Net's top spies and informers haven't cracked this yet!

Nah, couldn't be...

There is a crack team of rumour Ninja's on this already (have been for months) to be fair this is the most closely guarded secret GW have kept for many years but things are starting to emerge about it. Another couple of weeks and it'll be all out in the open.

FFG I'm told do have involvement in the project.

PhilB
:eek:

Erazoender
07-31-2009, 01:12 PM
I just hope it will be worth the anticipation and wait....

Alpharius
07-31-2009, 01:21 PM
How does one order the Mystery Box again?

Will it be available online via GW once we actually know what it is?

Or is this 'in store' only?

wash-away
07-31-2009, 01:21 PM
since space hulk has alread been done i thought the new and imporved would be a board game of maybe kill teams or something, well you know, new.

i'd be way happy to see pre painted mini's since its a board game. if you want to add them to your army you can still prime over them and start over. the brood lord doesn't fit with the idea of a board game. his pose and the fact that he's metal just sucks. he might do that pose as he's shot pu by assault cannons but ya.

the fact that its going to be a true blue board game makes me excited. getting people to play with pre painted mini's, then AOBR where its still really easy, then finally fully custimizable and paintable armies. this is a great way to get people started into the hobby.

wittdooley
07-31-2009, 01:33 PM
the fact that its going to be a true blue board game makes me excited. getting people to play with pre painted mini's, then AOBR where its still really easy, then finally fully custimizable and paintable armies. this is a great way to get people started into the hobby.

See, I agree that a board game would be a good way to get people into the hobby...but there are two things that seem to be contradictory to that. If they are pre-paints, how does that lure one into the hobby? Is a new customer going to be pissed when they open that box of genestealers and realizes they have to build AND paint them? Also...if the price point is where we're to expect it in the $60-80 range, how is that an entry level box? I can't see Mom Doe picking that up for little Timmy saying, oh, this $80 board game MIGHT be neat.

Vepr
07-31-2009, 01:37 PM
One step closer to clickable bases. ;) :p

wash-away
07-31-2009, 01:45 PM
One step closer to clickable bases. ;) :p

god help us if that happens.

See, I agree that a board game would be a good way to get people into the hobby...but there are two things that seem to be contradictory to that. If they are pre-paints, how does that lure one into the hobby? Is a new customer going to be pissed when they open that box of genestealers and realizes they have to build AND paint them? Also...if the price point is where we're to expect it in the $60-80 range, how is that an entry level box? I can't see Mom Doe picking that up for little Timmy saying, oh, this $80 board game MIGHT be neat.

i think that the game store would have a copy that you can play in the store. this way you can get new gamers in and see how things work and get people rolling dice. i think the transition of pre painted to painting them yourself is great. that way you have a cool army you can use before you paint your box's at home.

and i know its 100-120 but thats not much compared to buying an army.

Lord Senobio
07-31-2009, 01:46 PM
We did a modular space hulk board for games day LA in2008, but we included other races too.
If they are doing Space Hulk they havnt advertise it enough. I guess it would be out for christmas.
and withh current pricing-I imagine $95.00 at least, if not more.

Blight
07-31-2009, 04:03 PM
I, for one... would love to see a new Broodlord, the current model is quite boring. I hope they do something new with the termies too...

22metreline
07-31-2009, 04:54 PM
There was a rumour this morning that the WFB Skull Pass & LOTR Moria starter sets would be sold through the UK catalogue store Argos. No mention of a 40k Black Reach set.

Possibly the 40k part of the range will be SH?

2+2=5

Kriegmeister
07-31-2009, 05:37 PM
I can't believe that they're making Space Hulk a limited edition thing. That to me is just pure idiocy.

Jackmojo
07-31-2009, 05:44 PM
Prepainted would be ok so long as the cost is reasonable. They can always be repainted (like the good AT-43 armies one sees) and if they're prepainted it might be worth leaving them alone in the boxedset instead of ruthlessly trading away the unneeded models and breaking your ability to play Space Hulk itself...like I did with my old copy :(

Jack

Vikin
07-31-2009, 06:06 PM
Does anyone really need more Termies at this point? I con only speak for myself but I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 35 sitting unassembled or unpainted because I have 40 done already. Black Reach filled me up to the point that I consciously decided that I didn't need an entire Terminator Company. And now there are going to be more? Maybe I just have too much Marine stuff, but who here doesn't have more than 30 Terminators already? And who among us really needs more?

If it is space hulk and they are prepainted that is.

And as a chaos space marine player the aobr termies are useless to me. I can't use Th SS and all the models have the same static pose, there are no icons in the set or no combi weapons. it would cost me more to buy single bitz to convert those then buy a regular csm termie box/

On topic, i think it's spacehulk but i would prefer them to be non painted.

OliverTwist
07-31-2009, 07:58 PM

I forget where I read this, but it was on one of the big rumor sites - maybe Warseer's rumor round up. Anyway, apparently these descriptions of the secret box; including the "never been done before" part came from a Russian language release.

The original translation of the Russian was said to be "never been done before" but someone with a better knowledge of Russian looked at it and came up with: "something that GW has never released in this form before."

warpcrafter
07-31-2009, 08:14 PM
Space Hulk will be the new gateway drug.

oni
07-31-2009, 08:23 PM
HAHA! It just occured to me that I bought a box of genestealers the other day. More xenos to add to the party.

oni
07-31-2009, 08:24 PM
Space Hulk will be the new gateway drug.

The new gateway drug???

It was the ORIGINAL gateway drug. ;)

Pariah Stevo
07-31-2009, 09:37 PM
ya, pre-painted sucks. I really don't see these things being well made and well painted and especially not affordable. I exspect the models to be quite sub-par. I guess the whole 'mystery box' thing just confuses me. I just don't see how it could be worth the production, planning, and effort and then do a limited sale. just confusing

kanisX
07-31-2009, 11:17 PM
If they pre-paint them I am instantly going to strip and prime(Or just reprime) them as soon as I open the box

If they were the quality of say At-43 then its like airbrush quality. There would be no loss of detail so no need to strip. Just prime and re-paint.

Darkseer
07-31-2009, 11:26 PM
Agreed. At-43 has set the standard. GW has the money, so they'll no doubt match it.

Bigwill
07-31-2009, 11:57 PM
Is this a store only item or does can it be mail ordered?

wittdooley
08-01-2009, 12:18 AM
Is this a store only item or does can it be mail ordered?

I sincerely hope it isn't a GW store exclusive. There isn't one within 5 hours of me.

BuFFo
08-01-2009, 12:23 AM
Wow, how thick is GW?

'never been done before'....

What a load of bull.

At least Nids get some love.

Jim
08-01-2009, 01:02 AM
Wow, how thick is GW?

'never been done before'....

What a load of bull.

At least Nids get some love.

...Well I think has been mentioned before but the 'never been done before' might relate to the fact that it is a mystery release/limited release or potentially to the fact that it might contain pre-painted mini's which is certainly new and never done before.

I will certainly be getting a copy and think its cool that GW are thinking outside the box and trying different things.

Jim

Voivod
08-01-2009, 02:35 AM
What bothers me about this is, how hard will it be able to get a copy?
I don't have a retailer in the vicinity and will other shops get enough copies for me to get one, before they're all gone.

I think it's a strange move.
If all things we heard about the game is true, that's a lot of work for a single run.

22metreline
08-01-2009, 03:18 AM
Pre-painted won't be a problem if

1) The quality matches AT 43 or early Heroclix

2) The detail won't be obscured by pining + repainting

IMHO any models should be unpainted. This ould make sense given that the modelling part of the hobby is at least as important as actual gaming. THis week I've spent 2-3 hours painting but not actually played (last game, end June)

Alpharius
08-01-2009, 05:01 AM
Pre-painted won't be a problem if

1) The quality matches AT 43 or early Heroclix

Now that's setting the bar low!

RandomX
08-01-2009, 05:17 AM
The single thing that bothers me about it is the fact that, as a deployed soldier, if it is "Instore Only" there there is ZERO way for me to get it past having my wife go brave the GW in Rice Village. And that is something that I would rather not have to put my wife through. >.>

As for the pre-painted thing, it is not that hard to repaint then. A friend of mine in Maine who was a HUGE comic fan repainted all of his Heroclick stuff (and as he was a GD level painter they looked GOOD). So it is possible to repaint without too much trouble.

Anyway, I will be happy when it is finally out in the open.

-Eric

CrusherJoe
08-01-2009, 05:22 AM

Um...I can pretty much always find a use for more Terminators. ;)

Brambleten
08-01-2009, 07:50 AM
There was a rumour this morning that the WFB Skull Pass & LOTR Moria starter sets would be sold through the UK catalogue store Argos. No mention of a 40k Black Reach set.

Possibly the 40k part of the range will be SH?

I got the Argos catalogue shoved under my nose about half an hour ago at that page. i just assumed that GW were selling enough of black reach to not bother having to supply argos with it, where as with the other 2 they might not have been selling as many and so looked to put it out under another shop.

I seriously hope they arent pre-painted, as my Deathwing would love me forever if i bought them some more friends and some nids to smite

Cherub
08-01-2009, 09:05 AM
Only problem for me is not every store got thier mystery box. Some wonderful shipper in the warehouse broke down all the strongpoint boxs and shipped those instead. Word I got was some 60 stores in NA got boxes just like us. I hope GW fired that guy, thats alot of strongpoints they cant sell now.

Asymmetrical Xeno
08-01-2009, 10:21 AM
Dissapointing. I was hoping it would be something new and original...and awesome, like 'Epic : War In Heaven', but I guess thats too awesome for GW.

Mindless-Focus
08-01-2009, 03:09 PM
so what about those who have no GW store or even a hobby shop altogether? We had the memphis battle bunker but that got shut down...

BloodAngel
08-01-2009, 08:51 PM
I've been looking forward to this one for a while, hopfully it won't dissapoint.

Rogue Pom
08-01-2009, 10:02 PM
I was at my local GW yesterday and they had a 'mystery box' on the counter - just a box with a ? mark on it; however, the accompanying signage asked people to take a guess at what it was going to be and on the day of release, who ever guessed right would win a painter starter set to help paint it ('whatever it is').

Kind of skotches the whole pre-painted thing unless the actual stores haven't been told that its a pre-painted set.

The store manager is very hush hush on it and says he doesn't know any more than the original release BoLS released a while back - ie something never before done etc etc.

I withhold judgement until something concrete is released.

Lord Inquisitor
08-02-2009, 01:38 PM
At my local store yesterday a guy confidently said that it was Drunken Dwarf or something, I can remember exactly what he called it. He said he didn't know how it was played exactly, but it came with its own little board thing and that is about all I remember. Yeah sounds dumb, but. BoLS said it would be a standalone game. That it wouldn't be related to any of the 40k races. Also this can't be Space Hulk. Space Hulk is going to be released in mass. Because just about everyone will get it, especially if it goes the route of Black Reach with cheap Terminators. I don't know but it was a good enough explanation that I couldn't deny that it could be it.

Asymmetrical Xeno
08-02-2009, 02:29 PM
drunken dwarf ? not that godawfull Bugmans Bar game is it ? that would be evenmore boring than space hulk... :eek:

Lord Inquisitor
08-02-2009, 07:54 PM
Actually! Actually, Bugmans Bar rings a bell from what the guy was saying.

Mindless-Focus
08-02-2009, 08:29 PM
oh God, save us all...

OliverTwist
08-03-2009, 09:12 AM
one of the head honchos at GD Chicago specifically said that now and forever the only place to get the Bugman's Bar game is, low and behold, Bugmans bar.

Aldramelech
08-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Didnt they used to do a WFR bar room brawl type of thing many years back?

darknite
08-03-2009, 12:45 PM
I've got no problem with pre-painted. You can re-prime and paint them. Big deal. Some people like to play a nice-looking game without spending money on brushes and paints then taking precious times, that could be spent PLAYING the game you spent $90+ for, painting the drab gray plastic figures they put in it.

Aldramelech
08-03-2009, 01:10 PM
I've got no problem with pre-painted. You can re-prime and paint them. Big deal. Some people like to play a nice-looking game without spending money on brushes and paints then taking precious times, that could be spent PLAYING the game you spent $90+ for, painting the drab gray plastic figures they put in it.

Heresy!!!!!!!! lol

Thiselton
08-03-2009, 01:29 PM
knowing GW, they'll be pre-painted but the wrong scale to use in real 40k games...

Rogue Trader
08-03-2009, 01:40 PM
me personally I dont understand why people would be upset if they were prepainted. They as a business feel they have to try to market to other people then the hobbiest. I personally would love to have some cheap unpainted termies again, but wont be hurt in the least if they are trying to bring new people to this game. It was the prepainted miniatures that got me into gaming in the first place. Mechwarrior, Heroclix, and now 40K

Rahveel
08-03-2009, 10:09 PM
I still say its a boxed set of the Emporor and all the primarchs.

Or a new SM Faction, specifically one of the missing 2 legions.

;)

Asymmetrical Xeno
08-04-2009, 04:23 AM
prepainted stuff ? im surprised they havent done that already tbh, works for all the template armies (dark angels/space wolves/blood angels/generic popular craftworks/ork klans/known hivefleets) ect. I mean if people arent even gonna think of their own paint-scheme whats the point of providing the models unpainted in the first place ? may as well have an option to buy those factions pre-painted, and keep the unpainted ones for people that have the time to be more creative. No idea about financial stuff, im not a businessman, but to me it sounds like a good financial idea..any opinion ?

Dosadi
08-04-2009, 07:35 AM
prepainted stuff ? im surprised they havent done that already tbh, works for all the template armies (dark angels/space wolves/blood angels/generic popular craftworks/ork klans/known hivefleets) ect. I mean if people arent even gonna think of their own paint-scheme whats the point of providing the models unpainted in the first place ? may as well have an option to buy those factions pre-painted, and keep the unpainted ones for people that have the time to be more creative. No idea about financial stuff, im not a businessman, but to me it sounds like a good financial idea..any opinion ?

Well, if they are pre-painted (and I was only speculating when I said they would be) then I would expect them to be in Blood Angels colours as they were the "original" chapter in Space Hulk.

I’m expecting pre-painted because it fits the criteria that has been rumoured, as in “something they have never done before”. It also provides GW with access to people who would never be into the “hobby” aspect of the games. They have talked for so many years about getting into Wal-Marts and Toys ‘r’ Us and something like a self contained game that requires minimal assembly and no painting is the perfect tool for such a purpose. The rules can be straight forward enough for 12+ and for those of us in the hobby. I don’t think you have worry about the scale being off. If there is one thing I’m positive of, it’s that it will be 100% compatible with 40k miniatures. If they are smart there will be rules provided to add our collections to the game along with new scenarios posted on the website.

Again, this is all speculation, but I think it would make sound business sense for GW to tap the pre-painted and burgeoning board game market.

Dosadi

Alex Knight
08-04-2009, 09:16 AM
My own suspicion is that the "Never Before Done" thing is GW producing miniatures for a FFG imprinted product. The limited release might be due to the logistics of it, or it might just mean limited release in the GW stores and hobby stores will have a normal release on it.
It could still be Space Hulk...

That's my two cents.

Okidus
08-04-2009, 03:07 PM
One thing GW has never done before is Pre-painted miniatures. Now what better way for GW to break into the revived board game market than coming out with a really high quality product in the form of an all new version of one of their best known and best selling games from the past?

I have a very strong feeling that Space Hulk will not be a "hobby' game but a self contained boardgame containing Pre-painted high detailed plastics and distributing it into every store from your FLGS to Wal-Mart and Toy R Us?

Dosadi

I was thinking the same thing, especially with the recent release of the wow minis and AT43, they could make a killing

Alpharius
08-04-2009, 06:05 PM
I was thinking the same thing, especially with the recent release of the wow minis and AT43, they could make a killing

...or get killed.

Spellscape
08-05-2009, 05:33 AM
GW already offering preorder to the retail shops at at approx 50 GBP - It's Space Hulk with terrain , Terminators Genestealers and 2 metal miniatures. For now there are no plans to sell space hulk in more than 1 print - this is limited edition

Mindless-Focus
08-05-2009, 07:40 AM
so because i have no hobby shops or GW stores in this city, i will be missing out. yeah, this sucks. i couldnt convince someone to preorder a box for me and i'd pay for the box and shipping?

Dosadi
08-05-2009, 07:47 AM
I would think that it's the two metal models that are ltd. edition. That broodlord resin master we've seen pics of and a terminator captain of some sort?

I can't see them sinking the resources into developing a new version of the game only to produce a limited number of them.

Dosadi

GMTA
08-05-2009, 08:02 AM
so because i have no hobby shops or GW stores in this city, i will be missing out. yeah, this sucks. i couldnt convince someone to preorder a box for me and i'd pay for the box and shipping?

You know, it took all of 5 seconds to look up Memphis in the GW store locator and find a place within 15 miles of you.

Midsouth Gaming Center

7990 Trinity Rd
Ste 125
Cordova
TN
US

Thiselton
08-05-2009, 08:16 AM
so is the mystery box something that you can only get at a brick and morter store?

Spellscape
08-05-2009, 08:21 AM
Yes and from GW web store too

Lord Inquisitor
08-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Basically every store that stocks GW products is going to get at least one Mystery Box. I know my store is getting one, which the owner is keeping. And maybe 2 more, which will be raffled off for who gets to buy it.

Latro_
08-05-2009, 02:44 PM
Could mean other things too...

Like electronic stuffe, lights, sounds... they'v not done that.

Prepainted is interesting, does not fit with the GW dynamic of all of the games getting the person 'into' the hobby as a whole. Guess if its limited edition though meh.

Spellscape
08-05-2009, 02:48 PM
no Space Hulk is not prepainted as I've heard

Mindless-Focus
08-05-2009, 08:01 PM

BlackVise
08-05-2009, 08:49 PM
I hope it's not pre-painted, if indeed it is Space Hulk.

Mindless-Focus
08-05-2009, 09:44 PM
You know, it took all of 5 seconds to look up Memphis in the GW store locator and find a place within 15 miles of you.

Midsouth Gaming Center

7990 Trinity Rd
Ste 125
Cordova
TN
US

I don't mean to be an a$s but I do hope YOU do your research more. They don't openly support GW and have Very Little GW with no new releases. 98% ccgs. Also, their store locater hasn't been the most accurate as they had a store listed for a long while the was closed. I reiterate my previous post.

Slann
08-05-2009, 11:48 PM
If it is limited release it will be like the 40k rule set and fantasy rule set the ones that came with the hard cover book and the bag and special dice and templates , they will take pre orders for a period of time ship all those out and not run it agian . I know if this happens I will buy three , two for me and one for ebay to make back the money I spent on all three .

But I really see space hulk as a big release why would they not want to make as much money as they can off this , unless they do a limited board with working doors and lights and stuff than just do one with out all the bells and whistles for the masses .

oh @ blackvise the avatar matches takes me back to when I would run 4 of those with hippies and hyms .

DarcChipmunk
08-06-2009, 10:02 PM
I'm fine with pre-painted. I have my own termies I can sub in if they are awful.

I just hope I'll get a crack at one of the boxes if it is Space Hulk *crosses fingers*.

cheers,

TheOTHERmaninblack
08-06-2009, 11:52 PM
I guess I'm an orphan. I asked my sales rep about the mystery box Tuesday when I made my retail order and he claimed complete ignorance. I'm a partnership level store, so I'm wondering what gives

Mike X
08-07-2009, 12:22 AM

eBay is your friend.

Aldramelech
08-07-2009, 12:26 AM
I guess I'm an orphan. I asked my sales rep about the mystery box Tuesday when I made my retail order and he claimed complete ignorance. I'm a partnership level store, so I'm wondering what gives

He cant let you order something and not tell you what it is can he?;)

Grumpy Ripper
08-07-2009, 01:48 AM
£ 50 quid for spacehulk well iam sold,

space hulk was the 1st thing that drew GW kicking and screaming into my world and i surpose its time to get nostaglgic and buy a copy. Even though my local shirts have given up try

but we that are not going to GD germany they are sending a email out at midnight before it with the big reval in so we will find out just as quickley

Latro_
08-07-2009, 02:51 AM
i'm gonna try and get two, one to play with and one to keep in mint for 5 years then flog on ebay for silly money.

Kahoolin
08-07-2009, 04:01 AM
I know if this happens I will buy three , two for me and one for ebay to make back the money I spent on all three.Why do you need two for yourself? Just curious...

imperialsavant
08-07-2009, 05:48 AM
:

Nah, couldn't be...

:p And who but Alpharius would post a comment like that! LoL

Barry H.

imperialsavant
08-07-2009, 05:58 AM
[QUOTE=Rahveel;3631]I still say its a boxed set of the Emporor and all the primarchs.

:) Now if that were the case I would DEFINATELY buy one but couldnt see that set selling for only 50 pounds. More like 150!

Barry H.

MattRendar
08-07-2009, 06:29 AM
whats the exact date of release? and is it only going to be sold at GW stores???

darknite
08-07-2009, 06:45 AM
I've had a mystery box on pre-order with my FLGS for about a week now. The list is growing, too, so I hope they can get enough in to satisfy the demand!

DN

gwensdad
08-07-2009, 07:33 AM
What if it is Space Hulk, but two different versions:

1) The Mystery Box: Has everything rumored: Terminators, Genestealers, 3-D terrain, extra metal stuff all for (let's just guess and say) $95 US. CAT shaped box. Limited run of 5000ish.

2) A "regular" edition. Different packaging than the mystery box, cardboard terrain, no metal. Unlimited run $75.

Two versions of the same thing is done before with books, but not boxed games. This fits with GW offering a good deal over one of their other options (terrain+extra minis+cool box for a little extra)

Zuckuss
08-07-2009, 08:10 AM
OK, I was chatting with the blackshirt in Games Workshop Oxford Street, he's a pretty knowledgable guy (has already had some peeks at the Space Wolves Codex apparantly). The low down was, its a limited edition of 24,000 copies to the European Market. The US market will be around 10,00 (works out about right given market share). This is totally a Design Studio led project. There has been no sales involvement what-so-ever (when it was originally thought up ideas were leaked and some sales staff were dismissed for gross misconduct). There are only going to be 5 available per store (or at least that is how many he is allowed and Oxford Street is a flagship store) and 1 allowed for the staff. Purely on a first come first sold basis.

Zuckuss

oni
08-07-2009, 09:07 AM
OK, I was chatting with the blackshirt in Games Workshop Oxford Street, he's a pretty knowledgable guy (has already had some peeks at the Space Wolves Codex apparantly). The low down was, its a limited edition of 24,000 copies to the European Market. The US market will be around 10,00 (works out about right given market share). This is totally a Design Studio led project. There has been no sales involvement what-so-ever (when it was originally thought up ideas were leaked and some sales staff were dismissed for gross misconduct). There are only going to be 5 available per store (or at least that is how many he is allowed and Oxford Street is a flagship store) and 1 allowed for the staff. Purely on a first come first sold basis.

Zuckuss

Interesting, headed by the Design Studio...

If this ends up being something spectacular and your sales figures are accurate. I'm going to put my fist through GW's metaphoric cranium. Now I'm truly hoping that it's NOT Space Hulk and something I'll have no interest in. Now I hope it is that Bugman's Bar game.

Chuckles
08-07-2009, 10:17 AM
I really hope my store gets a few. The nearest GW store is about an hour and a half drive away.:(

Okidus
08-07-2009, 10:44 AM
where are you guys seeing this? Can you post where exactly (ie, expansions, collectors, etc.) Linking into GW always sends me to the front page for some reason.

MattRendar
08-07-2009, 11:22 AM
whats the release date?????????????????????????????????????

andyfish
08-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Any idea if this is going to be available at stores in New Zealand?

tiger505
08-07-2009, 02:47 PM
when will this limited run be let out to the stores pray tell. and why is it limited???

Erazoender
08-07-2009, 03:03 PM
when will this limited run be let out to the stores pray tell. and why is it limited???

Because GW is silly.

I see no reason why to limit this run; it would sell out fast but that's it. GW loses money, and if GW is truly the money tyrant, they are contradicting themselves.

I think (like it was mentioned before) a limited edition of Space Hulk, but at the same time that would make people unhappy.

And is it confirmed that it is Space Hulk related?

Mananarepublic
08-07-2009, 05:48 PM
I have been looking forward to this since the rumor first started (still own the game and both expansions) will grab one straight away (if I can) but I won't go nuts on eBay for a copy...

I would be very surprised if GW did anything super cool without making it available in large enough quantities to fill the demand - so a good idea would be not to buy a copy just for later value...

/M

Brass Scorpion
08-07-2009, 08:52 PM
I'd like to think you're correct about GW not missing an opportunity to make a lot of money with sufficient production, but they've goofed before by way underestimating interest in an item in an effort not to get stuck with something that doesn't generate tons of interest. These things can be hard to judge and you can't really blame anyone, after all they're not psychic and sometimes they just guess incorrectly.

For example, the Urban Basing Kit released with Cities Of Death was near impossible to get. The current Bastion and Defence Line scenery for Planetstrike is completely sold out in the US and has been for more than a week and won't be back in stock for about another two weeks.

vman
08-07-2009, 09:46 PM
mmmmm i dont know why the hype is so huge

and 5 copies per store doesnt make sense

Its all rather crap imo they should just direct order it and be done with it

Aldramelech
08-08-2009, 12:43 AM
This is what they wanted though isn't it? Everyone rushing around getting all overexcited. I think its going to be a huge anticlimax. And if it is only 5 per store then I know for a fact that those 5 were allocated months ago in Exeter, so I'm not even thinking about it.

vman
08-08-2009, 08:27 AM
This is what they wanted though isn't it? Everyone rushing around getting all overexcited. I think its going to be a huge anticlimax. And if it is only 5 per store then I know for a fact that those 5 were allocated months ago in Exeter, so I'm not even thinking about it.

Yup, i mean really whats the point? To dissapoint lots of customers and make them turn to ebay?

Its pretty stupid really

I wish they would just go direct and whoever wants it, its first come first serve

Aldramelech
08-08-2009, 11:51 AM
They haven't tapped the under 5 market yet, I think you've all overlooked one possability............ Lego Space Marines! LMAO

Mike X
08-08-2009, 12:18 PM
They haven't tapped the under 5 market yet, I think you've all overlooked one possability............ Lego Space Marines! LMAO

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Jerrec/micro-wh40k/mwh_001.jpg
http://www.classic-space.com/plugins/forum/images/resize_cache/www.brickshelf.com_gallery_Jerrec_Wh40k_newnewdrea d_d001.jpg-resized.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2158/2534997804_cbb794fe5b.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Jerrec/Wh40k/wraithlord/w001.jpg

Aldramelech
08-08-2009, 03:01 PM
See...... Told you! lol

Mongo44
08-08-2009, 08:00 PM
I really hope that this isn't just some kind of internal joke at GW to screw with the netfolks like us. My buddy swears he'll quit the hobby if it is. The blackshirt at my local GW store was saying something today that GW was going to start droping deliberatley false rumors. Sounds like they're getting pretty bitter about sites like BoLS being so acurate. If you ask me they should be happy people are so interested in what they're doing.

This past Gamesday Canada in Toronto I asked Keith Roberson (from 'Eavy Metal) directly about Space Hulk and all he would say was "I heard something about that." and kinda smirked. At the time I thought it was odd, but that was before I had heard anything at all about the mystery box. IMHO all this cloak and dagger crap is dumb.

Kahoolin
08-08-2009, 08:41 PM
The blackshirt at my local GW store was saying something today that GW was going to start droping deliberatley false rumors. Sounds like they're getting pretty bitter about sites like BoLS being so acurate. If you ask me they should be happy people are so interested in what they're doing.
Well then, they should just tell us their release schedule a year in advance. I've been saying that for years. I'm so sick of cheap suspense and rumours. Show your customers some respect and share the info around a little. Allow us to plan a bit, it would make us more involved.

Honestly, I don't see how suspense and rumours increase eventual sales. Hearing that there was a "mystery box" made me instantly lose interest in getting it. It just seems like a cheap stunt.

Bigred
08-08-2009, 09:22 PM
You are apparently in the minority. When BoLS put up the first "Mystery Box" thread folks went bonkers over it.

The thing to realize is even rudimentary stunts like this are a seachange for GW. Remember that we are talking about perhaps the only publicly traded toy maker of its size that does NOT employ a single person in a dedicated marketing role.

Think about that... In this day and age, GW has NO marketing department. Its all driven mainly by senior sales-related employees and the accountants. When I realized that, suddenly a lot of their corporate decisions started to make sense.

Maybe with their new profitability, and plans to start modernizing the "blog" side of the GW website, some marketing folks may be under consideration. It couldn't hurt.

Kahoolin
08-08-2009, 09:38 PM
Wow really? That's almost unbelievable, no marketing dep? That's pretty cool.

Yeah, I guess I am in the minority. I just wish it felt a little less like they were secretly making a product and then springing it on us, and more like they were in the hobby with us, keeping us informed. White Dwarf doesn't even have a letters page. Dragon magazine had one right up until the mag folded in 07. I suppose I like to feel like I'm in a hobby community, not like I'm collecting Pokemon. Things like BoLS do an awesome job at that, but unless I'm remembering badly, GW used to too.

Mike X
08-08-2009, 09:57 PM
You are apparently in the minority. When BoLS put up the first "Mystery Box" thread folks went bonkers over it.

The thing to realize is even rudimentary stunts like this are a seachange for GW. Remember that we are talking about perhaps the only publicly traded toy maker of its size that does NOT employ a single person in a dedicated marketing role.

Think about that... In this day and age, GW has NO marketing department. Its all driven mainly by senior sales-related employees and the accountants. When I realized that, suddenly a lot of their corporate decisions started to make sense.

Maybe with their new profitability, and plans to start modernizing the "blog" side of the GW website, some marketing folks may be under consideration. It couldn't hurt.

That's not really true.

Just because they don't have TV commercials (anymore) doesn't mean they don't have a marketing team.

GW has a marketing team, they're the ones who come up with the posters sent to gaming stores to advertise upcoming products, also the ones who come up with the videos on YouTube for new releases, and even the guys who just take the pictures of models for the online store (AKA virtual catalog).

The definition of 'marketing' gives us this:
"The total of activities involved in the transfer of goods from the producer or seller to the consumer or buyer, including advertising, shipping, storing, and selling."

Bigred
08-08-2009, 10:10 PM
I can only pass on what I have been told first hand from GW company directors.

Most of what you are describing is considered sales-support in other companies. Close but still not exactly dedicated "marketing" per se.

In other Space Hulk related news I have heard news that the game may have been entirely outsourced for manufacturing, which might explain the rumors that it is limited run due to cost issues. Various folks said that the core concept and the project itself was very much driven by the design studio, so perhaps they were given this release slot, almost as a gift...

Still trying to mentally work my way through the implications of this stuff... Interesting indeed.

doghouse
08-09-2009, 06:27 AM
I seriously hope that GW aren't limiting SH to a release such as this. I don't get why they are cracking down on internet sales through third parties yet ebay sellers would have a field day with this one.

Space Hulk is one of the greatest products ever created by games workshop and to see it fall into the realms of ebay over pricing where genuine fans have to resort to paying over the odds prices because they couldn't get to the store or gamesday is a travesty in my mind.

I will be seriously disappointed if this is true. :(

If there is a pathetic five boxes per store limit what's to stop the first guy in line buying all five copie and running off to ebays?

Bigwill
08-09-2009, 06:51 AM
Hopefully the owner has enouh class to limit it to one per customer.
I already asked my store owner to pre-order me two before I heard about the 5 limit.
Now I will try to get my second one by going to the city and hit the real GW store.
If it is Space Hulk then it better be a super-special edition.
GW would be soooo blind to only make 50,000 copies.
This release done properly could possibly sling-shot them to mainstream.
I am mainly a painter a 40k seems a bit too much(space wise) but a Board Game sized game is right up my ally.
I cannot see Space Hulk being done on this small scale.
Unless it is the same old Space Hulk game board with new minis.
We are all hoping of Cities of Death style plastic corridors.
But if they were going to do that, don't you think they would keep selling the Game indefinitely so you could use the corridors with your shiny new bastions and buildings?
And to get enough plastic terran for Space Hulk the box would have to be the size of a battle company.

Aldramelech
08-09-2009, 06:53 AM
Ain't gonna be no line. If the limit is right those games are already spoken for, either pre-ordered or going to each shops 'In' crowd. You know how 'clicky' games stores are, they'll look after themselves first.

Even in a place like Exeter (a mid sized city in the westcountry of England, for all you colonials!) I can think of at least 100 people who would want a copy, and thats just the people I know. This clearly is going to cause disappointment and bad feeling and do GW no favors what so ever.

Bung
08-09-2009, 10:50 AM
I´ve been at GW Nottingham few years ago.
No real marketing people looks like the decision, it doesnt make any cashflow so we dont need it.
But they seem the to be same geneartion like german politicians and the internet, both are just temporary fashions :D

Mongo44
08-09-2009, 10:50 AM
The thing thats killing me is that my local GW store won't or can't take any preorders. I went in and spoke with the blackshirt and basically said "Look...I'm gonna be here when you open on the day it drops and if it is Space Hulk and I don't get one I will be seriously pissed off." I asked him to confirm the release date and he couldn't even really do that...so I'm really operating off the info I can pick up here. I did get the blackshirt to promise to speak to the GW cell manager today when he's in town and confirm the release date. Initially I had heard the 12th, but now it is looking like it will be the 16th of Aug. I just want to know what day I have to be there when the doors open. To be honest if they would have taken pre-orders and maybe said what it was in the big mystery box say a few weeks in advance it would have been alot less annoying. As it is, even if I get one, I won't be looking back at this and thinking how much fun it was to be kept in the dark and running around trying to scavenge any kernel of info I can was. Really, it's a pain in the *** and if I didn't love the good old days of Space Hulk so much really wouldn't bother. In fact if it's not Space Hulk it'll probably end up on Ebay. I'm still dreading that once the box is opened it will be empty save for a little note in the bottom that says..."Dear internet speculators.....ha ha - suckers."

ChaosPhoenix
08-09-2009, 11:26 AM
That's not really true.

Just because they don't have TV commercials (anymore) doesn't mean they don't have a marketing team.

GW has a marketing team, they're the ones who come up with the posters sent to gaming stores to advertise upcoming products, also the ones who come up with the videos on YouTube for new releases, and even the guys who just take the pictures of models for the online store (AKA virtual catalog).

The definition of 'marketing' gives us this:
"The total of activities involved in the transfer of goods from the producer or seller to the consumer or buyer, including advertising, shipping, storing, and selling."

Uhm and this is not true too... GW has a "sales support team" which does everything to support.. sales. Yes they do posters and marketing stuff, but they're not dedicated marketing staff. Even erratas and codex translations are done by the sales support team. At least thats how it is in germany and we're not a that small market.

Edit:

I can only pass on what I have been told first hand from GW company directors.

Most of what you are describing is considered sales-support in other companies. Close but still not exactly dedicated "marketing" per se.

I overread your post. This is what I heard too... so basically, I sign what Bigred said ;)

Mike X
08-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Uhm and this is not true too... GW has a "sales support team" which does everything to support.. sales. Yes they do posters and marketing stuff, but they're not dedicated marketing staff. Even erratas and codex translations are done by the sales support team. At least thats how it is in germany and we're not a that small market.

Edit:

I overread your post. This is what I heard too... so basically, I sign what Bigred said ;)

Read this guy's resume, who was a Marketing Manager for GW Italy:
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/matteo-cocco/1/899/b84

And this guy's resume, who was a Marketing Manager for GW Canada:
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/craig-bodycote/9/66/708

And this is a job posting for a Sales & Marketing Vice President for GW USA:
http://www.simplyhired.com/job-id/hsqhyztcme/vp-of-jobs/

So yes, it's confirmed, GW does in fact have a marketing team... if not multiple.

Kahoolin
08-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Maybe GW UK doesn't have a dedicated marketing team, if what Bung said is true. And the US is the land of unbridled capitalism, so I would expect GW US to have a marketing team even if none of the others did.

And if it is Space Hulk I'm not paying that much money for something I already have. I don't think I can let go of my watery orange blood angels termies and half-painted stealers, I've had em since I was a kid!

Mike X
08-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Maybe GW UK doesn't have a dedicated marketing team, if what Bung said is true. And the US is the land of unbridled capitalism, so I would expect GW US to have a marketing team even if none of the others did.

Capitalism is universal, unfortunately.

I'm sure the UK marketing team exists, I'm just too lazy to find those who worked there.

Besides, I knew this already for when I went to a GW's 'assessment' in Boston (back when I had a local GW), and I asked the presumed regional manager (some form of high-up, I can't remember his title, but he had a STRONG British accent) about GW's marketing and why they didn't do more advertising... he filled us in on why they refrain from the likes of TV spots (Answers: How would they advertise this hobby in 30 or 60 seconds? And who would they advertise to?) but they do advertise in other ways such as in local gaming/hobby stores.

Bung
08-10-2009, 03:41 AM
Problem with marketing ist, that it doesnt really pay up in the first time.
For the most elderly mangers at least in germany its a money sink.
You can say waht you want, but i think GW managers are working like the company is an old hobby garage.

Sure, you cant introduce people in 30 Secounds to the hobby, but they could easily try something other than somethint in the local gaming/hobby stores.

The only thing you can see is the Dwarf in a few newspaper kiosks.

Snarf
08-10-2009, 09:31 AM
Advertising would be nice. In the City i stay in "Durban" there is only one shop that sells the mag.... and they have it sent up from Cape Town.

PS: Durban is not a small place.

Mananarepublic
08-10-2009, 10:40 AM
I'd like to think you're correct about GW not missing an opportunity to make a lot of money with sufficient production, but they've goofed before by way underestimating interest in an item in an effort not to get stuck with something that doesn't generate tons of interest. These things can be hard to judge and you can't really blame anyone, after all they're not psychic and sometimes they just guess incorrectly.

For example, the Urban Basing Kit released with Cities Of Death was near impossible to get. The current Bastion and Defence Line scenery for Planetstrike is completely sold out in the US and has been for more than a week and won't be back in stock for about another two weeks.

I didn't know the Urban basing kit was hard to find... maybe I should go and buy some more then :-) To be serious - there will be enough bastions and Defence line kits to fill the demand. Just because they didn't foresee the initial demand doesn't mean that they won't continue pushing them out till end of days if necessary. If GW felt like they could make money on Urban basing kits and if they feel they should reprint Space Hulk - they will... because they are registered on the stock market... I am sure someone at HQ are doing high fives and swearing at the same time regarding the Planetstrike scenery :-)

/M

Andrew283
08-11-2009, 10:25 AM
Come to Scotland if you can't find any basing kits or buildings. We have loads in GW Edinburgh

Watching Paint Dry
08-11-2009, 11:26 AM
This pic just showed up over at Dakkadakka:
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_hueeFnKmgMo/SoGoAKfFYdI/AAAAAAAAEGc/PgEcUIqTEpg/s800/f_0015ac.jpg

the_killer23
08-11-2009, 11:58 AM
DH Miniatures?

Aldramelech
08-11-2009, 02:48 PM
I smell an "Official" leak

oni
08-11-2009, 02:51 PM
Yup, That would make perfect sense. Limited release, Non race specific, Board game, Something GW has never done before, Studio led project. It all fits.

wittdooley
08-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Okay.. I think this is freaking sweet. Other opinions?

xarius
08-11-2009, 03:48 PM
still seems like tehy're going to lead the expectations too high but interesting

Mongo44
08-11-2009, 06:38 PM
While a DH boardgame might be cool, I have to say that if it isn't Space Hulk I'll be disapointed. It'd be my own fault though for buying all the rumors hook line and sinker...lol.

gwensdad
08-11-2009, 06:55 PM
But I'd think a Dark Heresy board game would be more of a Fantasy Flight product.

(and I'd love to play it no matter which company did it!)

Bigred
08-11-2009, 07:58 PM
Those look like Demiurge to me... perhaps plastic figures from an upcoming FFG game? One revolving around Rogue Traders perhaps?

Brass Scorpion
08-11-2009, 08:43 PM
I didn't know the Urban basing kit was hard to find...
It's impossible to find. I wasn't talking about the current basing kit on GW store shelves. The Urban Basing Kit was a splash release, the first basing kit done by GW, sort of the test run for the one you can buy now. It was released with Cities of Death, cost $15 US, and was nearly impossible to get. A very limited run product that sold out in one day. Most of the people I know who wanted one never even got close.

As for the FFG Dark Heresy pic with miniatures, that's a great sneak peek and I want to see more myself, but it is quite likely NOT the Mystery Box product. Mystery Box will likely be a direct GW product, not a licensed product from FFG.

wittdooley
08-11-2009, 09:05 PM
See...I could have sworn that the agreement b/w FFG and GW said that FFG would not being doing any GW properties where miniatures were a primary play feature. Thus, in Chaos in the Old World the minis could be cardboard counters and it wouldn't change anything. Maybe I was wrong.

Mkvenner
08-11-2009, 09:40 PM
Those look like Demiurge to me... perhaps plastic figures from an upcoming FFG game? One revolving around Rogue Traders perhaps?

to quote Sarah Kerrigan, I am thinking the same thing.

I cant help but think those are mutants of sime kind though.

closeups would help determine that though.

edit- upon closer inspection they def doo look like the Demuirig

Dvastator
08-11-2009, 11:30 PM
The insanity alone of only having so many boxes is imense. Most of the people I know got started with the plastic crack of Space Hulk. It is one of the best games out there. I can't wait to play again. I have started painting Lamenter's Terminators for use in this!

BTW, I hate Checkered Shoulder Pads!

Dosadi
08-12-2009, 06:25 AM
The mystery box is Space Hulk. It's all but been confirmed by GW who will do so at GD Germany.
I have no idea what the Dark Heresy stuff above is. It looks cool and kinda "squatish". I'm surprised that nobody has said the Mystery Box will be Squats yet. FFG has the License for the Dark Heresy game so I doubt GW would not be producing anything for it. FFG is not restricted from making minis as they did so for Talisman recently (with mixed results).

Dosadi

G-Man
08-12-2009, 08:03 AM
Why assume that the miniatures pictured and the Dark Heresy book and cards are part of the same release? I work in an environment where a number of 'sensitive' items from different projects are often on my desk at the same time.

I hope the mystery box is a limited ed. space hulk (or space hulk plus deathwing and genestealer as the inclusion of the librarian and patriarch/broodlord suggest), because I am very interested in the dark heresy stuff and the miniatures pictured- at least I will have a chance to get those.

Brass Scorpion
08-12-2009, 08:10 AM
I'm surprised that nobody has said the Mystery Box will be Squats yet
Never fear, some kid, a really loquacious kid, said that very thing in my local GW store just yesterday. LOL.

Only three days to go till the "big reveal" at Games Day Germany. From everything I've heard online and locally, I'm also thinking this will be Space Hulk. Whatever it is, I just hope it's well done and fun.

Norseman
08-12-2009, 08:29 AM
Does anyone have a confirmed store that is accepting pre-orders for the mystery box. My FLGS owner has said that there is nothing from GW on the pre-order sheets. It may be guys that are just doing pre-orders for the GW pre-order.

Mike X
08-12-2009, 06:02 PM
Never fear, some kid, a really loquacious kid, said that very thing in my local GW store just yesterday. LOL.

Only three days to go till the "big reveal" at Games Day Germany. From everything I've heard online and locally, I'm also thinking this will be Space Hulk. Whatever it is, I just hope it's well done and fun.

You have to admit, it'd be friggin' hysterical if GW finally re-released Squats... as a splash.

Dvastator
08-12-2009, 06:26 PM
Beautiful actually! I have a friend who quit playing because his Squats were taken from the game!

Mike X
08-12-2009, 08:12 PM
Beautiful actually! I have a friend who quit playing because his Squats were taken from the game!

Perhaps you didn't quite understand what I said...

Mananarepublic
08-12-2009, 09:22 PM
Might have gotten confirmation it is LE Rouge Trader box...will post later.

/M

*GW*
08-12-2009, 10:07 PM
A little secret from the depths of GW.

Just wait for Games Day this weekend. It is SPACE HULK, it is FREAKING AWESOME. This is FACT not rumour anymore, and GW will be announcing it on Saturday at Games Day Germany.

Mananarepublic
08-12-2009, 11:49 PM
Yepp - there is a LE Rouge Trader coming out - not that box...

/M

heartbitt
08-13-2009, 12:22 AM
I'm still bid for Space Hulk. I'm still remember the words of a good GW office man (not red/black shirt) friend of mine, who told me in the last months of 2008, that the're working on an ancient game for revamping it, what will made a lot of people happy, and I MUST get aware from the news, I MUST no miss it.
Pity, I lost contact with him, because is not GW anymore and move out the country.

heartbitt
08-13-2009, 02:45 AM
Confirmed news for the "Project X Box" as is refered inside GW:
GW Staff will receive the "Project X box" on Tuesday/Wednesday.
GW Staff only can buy (not free) only ONE unit per worker.
GW Staff whom have seen the pictures think there are not any metal miniature.
Also confirmed the low number of the "Project X box" (on several languages) produced

oni
08-13-2009, 09:38 AM
I'm going to go ape-**** if it's Space Hulk and I can't get one. :(

wittdooley
08-13-2009, 09:48 AM

Man, with the number being in the "10s of thousands" it shouldn't be THAT hard to get if you try right away....right? Right?

oni
08-13-2009, 09:50 AM
Man, with the number being in the "10s of thousands" it shouldn't be THAT hard to get if you try right away....right? Right?

I'm going to be on a business trip in TX the 17th trough the 19th. :(

heartbitt
08-13-2009, 09:55 AM
I forgot to update as I made on BOLS blog.
The price in Europe is 80 Euros

Mike X
08-13-2009, 10:01 AM

It's a friggin' board game, man.

And for your sake, I hope you don't get one from GW, 'cause eBay will have them a lot cheaper.

Hashshashin
08-13-2009, 10:29 AM
It's a friggin' board game, man.

And for your sake, I hope you don't get one from GW, 'cause eBay will have them a lot cheaper.

Really? :rolleyes:

Because the regular old SH box sells at a much higher premium in Ebay thn it ever did at the retail stores, and if you look at the cost of limited run minis on Ebay they are ridiculously priced.

I'm hoping it is SH and I am still curious will LGS get any?

Mike X
08-13-2009, 10:32 AM
Really? :rolleyes:

Because the regular old SH box sells at a much higher premium in Ebay thn it ever did at the retail stores, and if you look at the cost of limited run minis on Ebay they are ridiculously priced.

I'm hoping it is SH and I am still curious will LGS get any?

That's the box from years ago. With age, everything goes up in value. When this thing is FIRST RELEASED, for months it'll be equal to or less than the price GW is charging... but most likely a little less, even if by $1.

wittdooley
08-13-2009, 11:09 AM
That's the box from years ago. With age, everything goes up in value. When this thing is FIRST RELEASED, for months it'll be equal to or less than the price GW is charging... but most likely a little less, even if by $1.

Simply not true. Limited Edition stuff ALWAYS sells on eBay for higher than retail. Look at the games day minis. Look at the web exclusive mini. Look at anything GenCon exclusive. I don't know how you figure it'll sell for less.....

Mike X
08-13-2009, 11:53 AM
Simply not true. Limited Edition stuff ALWAYS sells on eBay for higher than retail. Look at the games day minis. Look at the web exclusive mini. Look at anything GenCon exclusive. I don't know how you figure it'll sell for less.....

Bad example. Those are exclusives, not limited releases... kind of different. Supposedly this product will have tens of thousands made of it, whereas GD minis have only enough made to supply the ticketholders.

So basically, at first, everyone (including the eBay resellers) will flock to GW for them, then put them on eBay only to realize their buyers already bought it directly not wanting to chance going without, so they have to settle for selling it as "less than" until GW's supply is drained dry.

Then, AFTER primary supply has been emptied, eBay prices will skyrocket in price.

Stad
08-13-2009, 11:59 AM
Whatever this box is goes on sale this saturday or just revealled on saturday and will be sold on a specific day?

Paradoxrifts
08-13-2009, 12:33 PM
The 'limited run' mystery box might be a 'premium' version of space hulk for hobbyists with a couple of once off metal miniatures thrown in and it could be followed by a mass release version with nastier pre-painted miniatures in the box. Just to put all the rumours together into one beast..

I'm onto your tricksey ways Jervis!

wittdooley
08-13-2009, 02:25 PM
Bad example. Those are exclusives, not limited releases... kind of different. Supposedly this product will have tens of thousands made of it, whereas GD minis have only enough made to supply the ticketholders.

Okay.... Cities of Death rubble kit. Limited Release, impossible to find. The Apoc Objective Markers are quickly becoming like that too.

C'est la vie. I still think they'll be fetching a premium on eBay

Mike X
08-13-2009, 02:34 PM
Okay.... Cities of Death rubble kit. Limited Release, impossible to find. The Apoc Objective Markers are quickly becoming like that too.

C'est la vie. I still think they'll be fetching a premium on eBay

You're still not getting it.

GW has RUN OUT of the Cities of Death rubble kit, so yes eBay's prices will skyrocket.

But when GW first releases Space Hulk (if that's what this is), eBay will have GREAT DEALS on this product UNTIL GAMES WORKSHOP SELLS THEM ALL.

Get it now?

A HUGE BLUNT
08-13-2009, 03:10 PM
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Jerrec/micro-wh40k/mwh_001.jpg
http://www.classic-space.com/plugins/forum/images/resize_cache/www.brickshelf.com_gallery_Jerrec_Wh40k_newnewdrea d_d001.jpg-resized.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2158/2534997804_cbb794fe5b.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Jerrec/Wh40k/wraithlord/w001.jpg

but these actually own. think of all the money all of us could've saved if Lego owned the 40k IP and not GW

Hashshashin
08-13-2009, 04:36 PM
You're still not getting it.

GW has RUN OUT of the Cities of Death rubble kit, so yes eBay's prices will skyrocket.

But when GW first releases Space Hulk (if that's what this is), eBay will have GREAT DEALS on this product UNTIL GAMES WORKSHOP SELLS THEM ALL.

Get it now?

If they are going to make these as difficult to get as it seems like, they should sell out almost instantly. I bought the last urban basing kit from CoD the day it was released. Harry the Hammer sold out within a couple of hours, as well as the first release of the Dark Heresy. The mines, Bombs , Booby traps thing is also not available anymore and these are all examples of a splash release, I don't see how SH will be any different.

So if they don't sell out immediately, you may be right, but I highly doubt they will be around longer than a day or two if I am hearing the rumor right, and judging the market correctl.

Mchawleye
08-14-2009, 12:19 PM
I am very much looking forward to Space Hulk when it comes out. The fact that GW seems to insist (despite evidence all over the Internet) that it is not the mystery box almost makes me think it isn't what we think it is...

If the minis do come prepainted they can shove it. As much as I like SH, I'm in this hobby to paint and model make first and foremost, so it seems a tad short sighted of GW to produce such a thing. More likely it'll be a massive success. and I shall seethe some more, or purchase some replacement minis...that said, with the metal minis, would they come prepainted? I find that unlikely...

Xas
08-14-2009, 04:12 PM
ok guys... just because it's funny and I had that CRAZY idea of what I would do to really hype an allready hyped and extremely desired for product...

my bed on what the mystery box really will be is

PLASTIC THUNDERHAWK!

we have a figure floating around for 70pounds (or was it 70 US dollar?) and a limit of 10 000 worldwide with no pre-order and first-come-first-serve policy IN STORES.

so for me the big question was: why would GW act out such an issue about a product which can at maximum earn them a 700 000pound (or $?) at maximum. this shurely must have something to do with promotion work and stuff.

so what if GW is selling their first run of thunderhawks at a big discout and a few months (I'd assume them to come out for chrismas for their "normal" 2nd release for their standard price of around 100-200$?) in advance?

would make sense because if you look at the volume of sprues you get in an imerpial sector and the new dense sprues like the demolisher or hellhound gw would still make a good profit on selling THawks for 70pounds.

additionally they would immediattely have the first batch sold and (wild guessing here but ALL this is wild guessing) "paid" for the moulds. with a few THawks flying around and the lucky people bragging about it the sales for the 2nd run would be immense as well.

so yeah... IÄm prolly totally wrong and it will be space hulk. but if I'm right... I think I deserve a donut for my genius :D

wittdooley
08-14-2009, 04:54 PM
That would certainly make me SUPER happy.

Spellscape
08-14-2009, 05:08 PM
Maybe it's time to stop guessing and wait for 1 day?

oni
08-14-2009, 07:37 PM
Maybe it's time to stop guessing and wait for 1 day?

Where's the fun in that? ;)

wittdooley
08-14-2009, 07:39 PM
If we stopped speculation... then what the hell would we talk about?

Dosadi
08-14-2009, 10:24 PM
Maybe it's not Space Hulk...oh no, wait...it is.

Dosadi

A HUGE BLUNT
08-15-2009, 12:10 AM
Our store will be getting one copy of space hulk. That's not the number of copies we ordered, thats the number of copies we're allowed to have. Thats right; 1

Talk about limited release :mad:

gwensdad
08-15-2009, 07:26 AM
Shouldn't we have this imformation by now? What time is it in Germany? When do they make these announcements? Lunch? Dinner?

And just to be wacky I'm thinking "Special Edition Blood Bowl" to hype the PC game.

HappyHaunt
08-15-2009, 07:44 AM
Shouldn't we have this imformation by now? What time is it in Germany? When do they make these announcements? Lunch? Dinner?

Erm Games Day Germany is on 16th August, it's a day to go yet :)

Schnitzel
08-15-2009, 07:45 AM
Germany is 6 hours ahead of Eastern Standard.
*sigh*
I want to be back in that time zone again. :/

gwensdad
08-15-2009, 08:10 AM
Erm Games Day Germany is on 16th August, it's a day to go yet :)

A Sunday? Strange. OK, just proves once again that my gaming group doesn't know what they're talking about-they all deny any chance of it being Space Hulk.

(we also think if it is Space Hulk, the store owner will grab all the copies for himself in the name of "collecting")

HappyHaunt
08-15-2009, 08:57 AM
Just in case anyone wants to check, you can confirm Games Day Germany is 16th by checking this Forge World Link; http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/gdgerm09.htm

Even with the time difference, you'll still get the news in the US on the 16th.

Azrael
08-15-2009, 10:10 AM
Hey Guys, just wondering if anyone can identify the box on the top right hand side of the picture in the August White Dwarf, page 79. The one beside Alessio. Don't think I've seen it before. It's in the same rack as the other core GW games and in the same sized box. Could that be a Blood Angels Terminator on the front? Space Hulk maybe?

HappyHaunt
08-15-2009, 10:27 AM
Those are all current or discontinued retail products, its the Chaos big army bundle by the looks of it, you can see the box picture has figures standing in groups on it. WD Battle Reports are done months before they are published as well, not that that would stop it being in the background, but unlikely they would let a new game just sit on a retail demo unit.

Azrael
08-15-2009, 10:35 AM
Yeah, I'm guessing for such a top secret product they wouldn't have it sitting in the open, ah well not long to wait now till we're put out of our misery :)

Bigwill
08-15-2009, 11:19 AM
For the love of God now it's tomarrow.
Arrrghhh the waits killing me.

rockdeity
08-15-2009, 06:10 PM
Does anyone really need more Termies at this point? I con only speak for myself but I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 35 sitting unassembled or unpainted because I have 40 done already.

I think you answered your own question.

A HUGE BLUNT
08-15-2009, 09:55 PM
For the love of God now it's tomarrow.
Arrrghhh the waits killing me.

Its space hulk i've already mentioned we have a copy sitting in our store so relax you can stop hitting the F5 button

wittdooley
08-15-2009, 10:22 PM
This announcement can't come soon enough. It's like freaking Christmas Eve....

Straha
08-15-2009, 10:25 PM
Its space hulk i've already mentioned we have a copy sitting in our store so relax you can stop hitting the F5 button

......now how many Terminators do you get and do they come pre-painted?

gwensdad
08-15-2009, 11:10 PM

Pictures?
Content list please?

RandomX
08-15-2009, 11:23 PM
Yeah, its Hulk, which is cool.

The thing that is getting me is what exactly is inside of it.

And if I can order it from the website. I am in Iraq atm, and I don't want to have to send my wife into Rice Village GW to try to get one for me.

-Eric

Lord General Xi Lutor
08-16-2009, 12:55 AM
So, what the **** is it? My FLGS owner hasn't a clue, and thinks its Planetary Empires. He claims that his GW rep swears up and down its not Hulk.

Snarf
08-16-2009, 01:12 AM
Right! Its Sunday here. So what time do they anounce it?

shabbadoo
08-16-2009, 01:50 AM
Give it another few hours at the least. It is about 9:50 AM in Germany at the time of this post.

Barss
08-16-2009, 02:24 AM
This would be a long Sunday. Used to play SH with my venerable Amiga. (Space Crusade too). It would be cool to have one if it's SH.

heartbitt
08-16-2009, 02:37 AM
As I logged on BOLS yesterday, ithis may get a little worse, as I've been told..
On GD, GW will talk about the new Mistery Box with no details nor names, rules, only price, number of copies, etc ... (no one on GW staff will like to be on the lecturer skin)
But....I've been also informed, the mistery box will be revealed worldwide on MONDAY on the GW WEBSITE, when this happens the GW shops will get green light to talk about it...

Saint of Killers
08-16-2009, 03:37 AM
But....I've been also informed, the mistery box will be revealed worldwide on MONDAY on the GW WEBSITE, when this happens the GW shops will get green light to talk about it...

I heard something similar myself, I got a friend who runs an independent store and he said that on monday the GW rapresentative will let him know what the heck is the mystery box

and also I don't think it will be the Bugman bar's game, on last issues of Italian wd there was a clear statement that said that was only available ad Bugman's bar (not sure if the same article was also on US issues of WD)

Forhekset
08-16-2009, 03:48 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't really care for Space Hulk? I mean, wouldn't it be much much MUCH cooler if all this secrecy and espoinage and stuff was hiding like, I don't know, a new Dark Eldar codex and a full modal range update? Wouldn't that be something amazing, rather than some old board game?

I'm not trying to kill anyones fun but it seems that such an exciting marketing campaign as this would of been better used on one of their main line games. Maybe I'm just jealous cause I'm enjoying all the hype and detective work but the end product that we suspect really doesn't interest me at all :P

heartbitt
08-16-2009, 04:01 AM
I quoted a GD Germany assitant from Warseer forums ....(credit to rkunisch)...

"Well I am at Games Germany in Cologne and my first impression is, not much new information"

"For the -Highlight of the year- there is just a subtle hint: the GW folks wear shirts with a Terminator and the shirt to buy is one with a Tyranid. Guess for yourselfs..."

Ivarr
08-16-2009, 08:57 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't really care for Space Hulk? I mean, wouldn't it be much much MUCH cooler if all this secrecy and espoinage and stuff was hiding like, I don't know, a new Dark Eldar codex and a full modal range update? Wouldn't that be something amazing, rather than some old board game?

I'm not trying to kill anyones fun but it seems that such an exciting marketing campaign as this would of been better used on one of their main line games. Maybe I'm just jealous cause I'm enjoying all the hype and detective work but the end product that we suspect really doesn't interest me at all :P

If you really don't like space hulk...you probably haven't played space hulk. It is a fantastic game. I have heard long debates about whether SH or Blood Bowl is GWs crowning achievement...and I personally think that SH holds the crown. I have never heard anyone who actually played Space Hulk say that they did not like it.

I am personally impressed with the secrecy...and as for a secret Dark Eldar release... I have played half a dozen games against that codex lately and I don't think that it needs re-written...it is still a very effective codex. I agree that they need some new models...badly. But I think that the Necrons or the Tau are much more in need of a re-write.

Bigred
08-16-2009, 10:32 AM
From a BoLS reader attendee of GD:Germany:

...they showed a teaser trailer with a statement, that GW's website will bring some big news tomorrow.
But considering that the official GD shirts today sported either a genestealer skull or a terminator helmet and after various long talks to high GW stuff it was pretty clear that this is about Space Hulk. So it's pretty much official.
The trailer also hinted at the Blood Angels taking revenge for their fallen brothers and taking the fight to the great devourer of worlds.
Store staff was as of yet not in the know about prices, content or anything else specific concerning the boxed set.

Forhekset
08-16-2009, 11:10 AM
If you really don't like space hulk...you probably haven't played space hulk. It is a fantastic game. I have heard long debates about whether SH or Blood Bowl is GWs crowning achievement...and I personally think that SH holds the crown. I have never heard anyone who actually played Space Hulk say that they did not like it.

I am personally impressed with the secrecy...and as for a secret Dark Eldar release... I have played half a dozen games against that codex lately and I don't think that it needs re-written...it is still a very effective codex. I agree that they need some new models...badly. But I think that the Necrons or the Tau are much more in need of a re-write.
Well DE was just an example I don't wanna get into a debate about who needs what more.

Well hopefully I get a shot at SH now afterall and get to see what all the hype is about. I played Space Crusade as a kid, I know it's not the same but I imagine it's pretty close, and I didn't particularly like it that much.

Valdore
08-16-2009, 12:21 PM
Well, a comment from my local blackshirt today:

"I know what the mystery box is, and if it does what I think it does then I'll be buying as many as I can afford and making a whole complex."

Not exactly what he said, but it was a couple of hours ago, from what he said it sounded like they might clip together, leading me to believe the Space Hulk with plastic scenery/board rumour somewhat more credibly. But make of it what you will ;)

BlueRonin
08-16-2009, 01:57 PM
Well hopefully I get a shot at SH now afterall and get to see what all the hype is about. I played Space Crusade as a kid, I know it's not the same but I imagine it's pretty close, and I didn't particularly like it that much.

No, Space Hulk was nothing like Space Crusade. Space Hulk was simply awesome, and I hope this new version plays as good as he original, because it has provided - without a doubt - the most exciting play in the 40k universe that any of my buddies have tried. :)

Snarf
08-16-2009, 10:24 PM
Right! Why no news you slackers? Its well and truely Monday 17th now!!!

BlacknightIII
08-16-2009, 11:24 PM
What if were all wrong and its not just a remake of the old space hulk but some sort of continuation, like a space hulk 2 or something crazy.

lauran
08-16-2009, 11:38 PM
Didn't they told at wich time they will put the info on the GW site at games day Germany.

Lord General Xi Lutor
08-16-2009, 11:41 PM
When can we buy it?

Alex Knight
08-17-2009, 12:09 AM
Another weird thought...
What if, the thing they've never done before, was release a new game with an older edition of rules?

What if we're getting the 1st Edition rules, with modern production quality? It's a shot in the dark, really. I think we might know more tomorrow.

Captain Wesker
08-17-2009, 01:01 AM
Official GW UK Store listing of Space Hulk!

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat180018a&prodId=prod210009a

ChaosPhoenix
08-17-2009, 01:02 AM
This was just twittered through what seems to be GWs account: "Warming up the cogitators, preparing ritual of awakening... #gamesworkshop #boardgame #spacehulk" http://bit.ly/83F2x and followed by "Space Hulk is back! To guarantee your copy, pre-order at www.games-workshop.com today: http://bit.ly/2C5RQr #gamesworkshop #boardgame #"

Raisty
08-17-2009, 01:35 AM
The Australian GW site listed Spacehulk as being out of stock as soon as it appeared.
Hopefully thats just a slight mess up, and not an indication of Australia not getting any copies.

hersoldier
08-17-2009, 01:50 AM
I just checked the U.S. site, and it is listed. Also, it won't be released until sept. 5, so it's a pre-order. The minis look amazing! It doesn't say if they are pre-painted( It does list a model as"A BLOODANGEL artifact" though) I am picking it up. It was a fun board game and video game( for the 3DO at least) and I want to play it with my kids!:)

energongoodie
08-17-2009, 02:33 AM
The Blood Angel artiact looks like a grail or chalice on the left of the picture to the right of the stealers. It is next to the dead marine on a throne.

Pietia
08-17-2009, 03:10 AM
They're not prepaints - take a look at the photo showing all contents of the game - Terminators are completely orange, Genestealers dark blue.

BlueRonin
08-17-2009, 03:27 AM
"Johnny, get me two..." :)

Dosadi
08-17-2009, 07:32 AM
They're not prepaints - take a look at the photo showing all contents of the game - Terminators are completely orange, Genestealers dark blue.

Which is good thing IMO. I think I was the first person to speculate that they would be pre-painted as at the time I figured they were going with a different marketing strategy for Space Hulk. I was assuming that this was going to be mass produced game that they could use to get into to the reviving board game market (they still could); that Space Hulk would be the perfect vehicle to place in stores like Wal-mart and Toys'R'Us. Pre-paints would let them also appeal to people who play games such as Monsterpocalypse and AT-43 but would never get into "The Hobby". But I can see that they are trying to keep it as close to the original game as possible. The tiles, counters and doors are pretty similar to the 1st & 2nd edition set. The models in their blue and red plastic are reminiscent of the 1st edition set that came in the same colours if I recall (I know the ‘stealers did, but I can’t remember if the marines were red plastic:confused:).

Dosadi

lauran
08-17-2009, 07:57 AM
Ordered my copy of space hulk, I also noticed an space hulk novel so i ordered that too.
It was around euro, so I think it's around 2-3 pounds. much like the black reach novel.
It's written by Gav Thorpe and the cover is the terminator helmet form the rulebook.

Stad
08-17-2009, 08:26 AM
I just plced my order and I went to log back in to see the pics again and the site is down for maintanance. Hehehehe

Wolfshade
08-27-2009, 12:29 AM
In the new WD there are some awesome pics of the models released with it. As an aside the librarian is lexicanium Calistarius, wasn't that Mephiston's name before his incident at Hades? If so how do you think it will tie in fluff wise?

Duke
08-27-2009, 09:17 AM
Yea, that sounds right, but I could be wrong about his background. Long story short I love the objectives that they give a Blood Angel player.

Duke