PDA

View Full Version : Soft VS Hard Army bags

Spellscape
08-25-2009, 04:17 PM
Hi all

I want to buy new bag for my miniatures and now stuck
Is more secure transporting in "hard" bags/cases (like GW Battlefoam) really better than in "soft" cases (like Sabol, Intersponge)

What is your experience with them? PRO/CON

crazyredpraetorian
08-25-2009, 04:32 PM
I used to sell the soft bags in my stores years ago. This weekend at BoLScon, I got a close look at the BattleFoam bags and they are superior in construction and well worth the extra $$$. add in the custom trays and you have epic WIN.

Culven
08-25-2009, 04:34 PM
I prefer the soft cases. Not only does it hurt less when it hits someone, but the Sabol foam can be modified to better accomodate strangely shaped figures, which means they are better protected.

Now, if there were a hard-sided case which used pick-n-pull trays, that would probably be the best option if one planned to travel (especially by bus, train, or air where the army would be handled by typical baggage handlers). Not only would the hard case keep it from being crushed, but the trays would be able to safely nestle each figure.

clkeagle
08-25-2009, 04:39 PM
I like Sabol foam, but the cases are a little flimsy. For my Deathwing, I use Sabol trays in this bag since they fit perfectly:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0036738318420a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=gear+bag&sort=all&Go.y=0&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=0&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

It's a very durable bag. The huge side pockets are great for dice/counter bags and bits boxes, and the big front flap works fine for a Black Reach rulebook, a codex, and some loose documents like army lists and quickref sheets.

blueshift
08-25-2009, 04:41 PM
i have a picture tutorial of mine up at basetobasecontact.blogspot.com (http://basetobasecontact.blogspot.com)

i use a hard case... obviously you have to build proper foam walls, then the hardness of the case can vary.

Spellscape
08-26-2009, 04:06 AM
anyone used interspoonge bags? Are they good?

vman
08-26-2009, 05:18 AM
battlefoam = epic WIN

TSINI
08-26-2009, 06:08 AM
i havent got any experience of soft bags, but i can't imagine my resin heavy army would be very secure in a softer bag, also i like to put books in my GW cases on top of the models and i'd be afraid to do this in a soft bag as it really doesnt want any pressure added to the top of this or my models would get squashed

BuFFo
08-26-2009, 09:16 AM
Hard case all the way. I don't feel like having a soft case, then having some fat MTG player break my models. No sir.

oni
08-26-2009, 02:16 PM
battlefoam = epic WIN

I couldn't have said it better myself.

crazyredpraetorian
08-26-2009, 02:31 PM
I prefer the soft cases. Not only does it hurt less when it hits someone, but the Sabol foam can be modified to better accomodate strangely shaped figures, which means they are better protected.

Now, if there were a hard-sided case which used pick-n-pull trays, that would probably be the best option if one planned to travel (especially by bus, train, or air where the army would be handled by typical baggage handlers). Not only would the hard case keep it from being crushed, but the trays would be able to safely nestle each figure.

Culven, BattleFoam does have pick and pluck trays availiable.

RandomX
08-27-2009, 11:29 AM
I currently use Sabol foam, and hard plastic cases.

Though I am going to go through and totally upgrade my storage with Battlefoam when I get home from Iraq, and I will be putting the Battlefoam trays into a Pelican Case.

-Eric