PDA

View Full Version : I am back, got a question since my social skills are not good.

HsojVvad
11-21-2010, 10:35 PM
Hello all, I am back again. Some personal stuff happening in life, I just gave up on the hobby for a while. Well I am trying to get back into it and I found a place that is close by to finally play some games.

So my social skills are not the greatest. I am more of a hermit, and not use to playing with strangers. I went to the place, to see what it was like, and how the people are. It seems everyone is ok there. But I noticed when people are playing, I swear some of the rules are wrong. I tried to correct them, but they said, "nope it's this way, nope that way, yes that way."

So how do I deal with this? My problem is, if I think I am in the right, I will debate it till I am proven wrong, or if the person is proven wrong. I don't want this to effect the gaming, I just want to have fun. So if this comes up, where I swear I am in the right, and I am reading the rule book infront of me, and I am correct, but the person still insists that he is still correct, what do I do? What do you guys and girls do?

Well it's nice to be back, and hopefully to have discussions with you guys and girls again.

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
11-21-2010, 11:43 PM
Hey glad your back, i know what its like to live in your own self.

Firstly always make sure you have a copy of the codex and rulebook infront of you, if you see them pull a wrong assumption of the rules on you, well just point to the book and show them, let them read it themselves.
Be careful not to offend, especially if you want to play there and ofcourse have fun. I find at my local store most people there are ok with the rules. When in doubt ask someone next on tables near by. Does the store owner get involved in the game too? if so make friends with them and show point out the problem.

BuFFo
11-21-2010, 11:48 PM
So how do I deal with this?

Let Dr. BuFFo cure what ails ya....

Let the stubborn player have his way, and keep on playing.

When you want to game again, just do not game with that person.

You are in a new place. Burning a bridge with one stranger may end up with you burning multiple bridges without knowing it. That guy will chat with his friends "The new guy is a dick. Don't play him... " if you seem like a new thorn in the rose patch.

Just forget it happened, do not play that person, and see if you can make real friends with any other players in the store.

Keep those bridges up, for your sake!

Duke
11-21-2010, 11:58 PM
Buffo is right, lose a few battles to win the war.

Duke

steelmage99
11-22-2010, 12:50 AM
Just let it go.

If you find yourself incapable of that, leave.

Write an angry letter and then throw it in the trash.
Make a blog for the world to see.
Congratulate yourself that, at least, you know the correct rules.

But whatever you do.....let it go.

Lane
11-22-2010, 12:59 AM
First make sure you are right. There are a few areas where knowing previous editions of main rules or Codex can confuse you.

Once you have checked the rules yourself ask them how they got a different interpretation of them. Are they using an old rule, FAQ or no FAQ, house rule.

Are both people using the same rule or specific to one persons army. One guy could have convinced the others he was right, to his advantage.

lowdog
11-22-2010, 01:02 AM
You could propose a roll-off on the rule for the remainder of the game, and then go back and discuss it after the game has ended. Most people are more reasonable when they aren't in the heat of the moment with the outcome of a particular game riding on their being right.

SotonShades
11-22-2010, 05:42 AM
For the sake of the game, its usually best to just go along with what they are saying, even when you know they are wrong, unless you know exactly where in the rulebook (I mean exact pages, not just which section) as you will end up breaking the flow of the game. This makes it less fun, and that is what we are all here for. Have a laugh and a joke and enjoy the rest of the game.

After you've finished, while you are packing up (unless there aren't many tables, people desperately want to get a game in and are waiting for you to vaccate your board) just ask your opponant which part of the rules gave him the interpretation they have. Follow this up by looking through the rulebook together. You never know, you may realise that you were in fact wrong, possibly that it is a bit of a grey area and quite open to interpretation and house rules. Of course the better option is being right, but if you are, don't be smug about it.

This approach doesn't always work. I had a similar problem when I moved cities, especially with Apocolypse rules. But by slowly playing my way around the group, more and more people realised their missinterpretations and even jumped to my defence in some games afterward. They still get some stuff wrong, I'm not wholey responsible for the change, but I have seen people in the store adopting this style of rules debate. I have been told by the manager that the atmosphere used to be a lot more negative because people would argue the rules and flat out refuse to believe they were wrong. Now they just get on with it and sort out their differences in a less stressful situation later

DrLove42
11-22-2010, 06:39 AM
I agree with all of the above.

This obviously does depend on the level of breach. If its a simple argument over, say grenades and counter attack (having had that one on here recently) let it go. If they try to claim a Russ can move 24 inches and still fire everything, might want to argue that one!

Xas
11-22-2010, 06:47 AM
a good way is to pretend to be new to the game. in your case this wouldnt even be direct lying as you are new-returning. then play with your rulebook open and if something contradicts what the rulebook says nicely ask your oponent to quickly show you where the book says that you are wrong/he is right.

you might be seen as a noob but if a place is unfriendly to newbies AND playing the rules wrong they arent really worth your time.

dont insist on beeing right, even if it is something silly like fleet allowing 2d6 instead of 1d6 run move or template weapons requiring a Ballistic Skill check to fire first.

If your oponent insists on beeing right and cannot show you just accept it and play on. treat it like a houserule and try to use it against him (on above example remind him that HIS flamer have to check BS before firing as well) and depending on the reactins decide in your mind if he is a chat/jerk or just dont knowing better.

After the game ask a few of the other locals if they could explain you some rules and then ask the specific situation, say that you have looked it up (have the book on hand) and that you just dont understand why it works like you were playing it (they key is to communicate the assumption that you want to believe your oponent but just dont understand it. therefore you are not a jerk but at worst "dumb").

Basically there are 4 possible outcomes:
you are told that your oponent had it wrong and gain invisible credit for poiting out that a veteran doesnt know his game.

you are told that he is a jerk who is allways trying to abuse newbies and he was obviously cheating to get the upper hand.

you are told that regardless of what the rulebook says your oponent was right (some miss-interpretations can spread like a plague cause only a rough 20% of players actually read the rules. Usually not even the staff knows the rules and all is passed on learning by doing). just remember it or write it down on a list of "houserules" and then decide for yourself if you can play by that in the future and/or how it will change your army list.

the people try to show you with the rules how it works and find out that it doesnt work as they have thought. dont press the issue, let it sicker in slowly (many people dont like to admit that the whole crowd had it wrong for years and a fresh person poitns it out on day one) and pretend that you just want to know what is right and how you have to read the rules to explain it to your oponent should the same situation occur the other way round. this key fact places you all on one side, trying to interprete the rulebook and not "fighting" each other over it.

scadugenga
11-22-2010, 07:00 AM
I'm with Buffo on this one. As the "new guy" you're in a more precarious position. There are already established relationships in the store. You come off as argumentative, they'll talk, and you'll get the (proverbial) black eye.

Of course, pretending to be a noob and asking for them to show you where in the rulebook it clarifies what they're doing also works. Good point, Xas.

But--all that aside, sometimes you need to make a stand and go "what?" It may develop into an argument, but it might also cause a revelation.

Last year, that happened to me in a store--playing with a friend, though (who seems to live to argue) and not a stranger. After a lengthy argument (read "discussion") I finally said "let me see your rulebook." (He was using the minibook style rb.)

"Dude, this is the 4th edition rules. Would you like to join the rest of us in 5th ed?"

Perhaps the only time I've ever "won" an argument with that guy...

HsojVvad
11-22-2010, 08:55 AM
Thank you everyone for your replies. I greatly appreciate it. I will take all your advice. I just want to have fun, I didn't think of what you guys have suggested, so thanks again. I will do as you guys have suggested.

Lockark
11-22-2010, 11:17 AM
Just say
"It's been awhile since I have played. I'd like to look that rule up."

If they say not to, keep going. Tell them:

"It's important to me. Because I want to make sure I'm playing it right."

Once you see the rule in question keep going if they were right, and apologize to them.

If you were right politely show them the rule, and tell them that they were incorrect.

No one get's in a fight, and in the end everyone knows how to play the game correctly.

Just don't be in there face or a jerk about it. Then your burning bridges as others have said.

reynor
11-22-2010, 03:07 PM
I took a long break from the hobby.I have been playing Fantasy for the last two years and have only played a handful of 40k games. I'm getting back into 40k and will be taking this EXACT tact. I'm going to tell my opponent I haven't played in a LONG time and that I don't know all the rules.

Also, I'm going to focus on having fun. It's not what army you play. It's who you play with.

Mal
11-24-2010, 04:34 PM
I remember comming back to the game after my last break from it and joining a new group...

They seemed really nice, even offered to write me an army list so I wouldn't waste money on stuff thats pretty much useless, offered to take me through the new rules with a test match against the club organiser..

All seems well and good eh? Heh, thats what I though, until I came to actually play them.

Having just parted with about £200 of my hard earnt cash for a shiny new space marine army, im suddenly faced with what I now know to be a completly useless army load out against the single most cheesy player in the group, and just to add insult to injury, he cheated... a lot...

To say the very least I felt like packing up my minis, chucking them in the bin and quitting again... right up until the point where my opponent offered to 'take the minis off my hands', for barely a fraction of what I had just paid for them.
Call me a stubborn fool, but that just got me hackles up, so I said to hell with it, im not quitting.

I spent a bit more of my hard earned cash (about £100 this time) on new units once I was armed with a new and improved army list found on a forum not all that dissimilar to this one and with a list of tips and tactics to help and I went back and beat my opponent into a bloody pulp...

Turns out hes really bad for taking on new players, but to be fair, the rest of the group were not exactly helpful in not pointing this out to me until after I had played him.

Ok so this is probally the worst sort of experience you could have at a new gaming group if your new to the game or returning after a long break... and your probally wondering what my point is..

Well my point is that in some cases its actually better to simply leave a group if you find your idea of a fun game doesn't mesh with theirs, so try out the suggestions listed in this thread and see how you get on, but remember you always have the option of simply not playing them, so don't get stuck in a situtation where your left playing games you know won't be fun.

scadugenga
11-24-2010, 05:48 PM
Wow, Mal. Seems like gamer hazing!

dagonis
11-25-2010, 10:48 AM
The impression I got from the OP was that he was observing other people play and interjecting about their game. Don't ever do this, ever. When this happens to me I because very defensive and upset with the person who is interjecting. Furthermore, usually the person butting in is wrong. I had someone argue with me that Blood Angels scatter 2D6" on a deep strike. Even my opponent was trying to tell his he was wrong, but he wouldn't have it. 5 minutes of the game gone, and I was now in a bad mood before I told him to check the store copy of the dex (wasn't going to let him touch mine).

That being said, if you are playing someone always call them out on rules. When you do this make sure you already have the rule found in the appropriate book. You are doing both of you a favor, and future games will go better. Be nice about it, but don't let it slide.

Aldramelech
11-25-2010, 12:15 PM
Don't matter if the rule is right or wrong, don't matter who is right or who is wrong, what matters is consistency.

If that is how they all play, go with it, you can change opinions slowly over time when your better established.

If however the rule is wrong when it suits them and suddenly the rule is right when it doesn't, then they are dicks, leave.