PDA

View Full Version : Super Heavy tank can't move onto board

JMichael
11-17-2010, 06:38 PM
So this is partially in regards to Apocalypse, but mostly the Spearhead expansion.

Super Heavy tanks can only move 6" unless otherwise stated.
So having a large tank (baneblade, etc) in reserves means it couldn't actually move onto the board as the vehicle itself is longer than 6".

The new FAQ do specify that if an entire unit in reserves cannot be placed on the board they are destroyed.

This would mean you MUST deploy the super heavy on the board less it could never actually come on and is thus destroyed/kill point.

In the case of the SpearHead expansion you would have to place the Super-Heavy on the board and thus suffer a pre-game penetrating hit.

Am I wrong about this?

Archon Charybdis
11-17-2010, 06:45 PM
Strictly speaking, yes. However, I'm pretty sure in this case you can appeal to the common sense of the others players/TO and rule that the vehicle can move the minimum distance necessary to make it on to the board when arriving from reserves.

JMichael
11-17-2010, 07:13 PM
I have, in the past allowed them to move onto the board. I play Eldar, so even my Super-Heavies can move 12".

Lerra
11-17-2010, 07:36 PM
I've always played that they only move 6", but they are allowed to hang off the table edge when coming off of reserves (my table has an extra 6-12" on each side, so it's not a problem. If your table does not, I've seen people to use dice to mark where the superheavy should be.).

Brass Scorpion
11-17-2010, 07:54 PM
I always just move it onto the board the bare minimum needed to do so on the turn it arrives from reserve. Never had a complaint yet. Simple practicality and the physical limitations of the models are a part of these games too, at least when you're playing with "reasonable" people.

Calypso2ts
11-17-2010, 08:37 PM
Apocolypse requires all sorts of house rules as it stands. Make a house rule, remember the FAQ is just house rules for GW and probably are pointed more toward standard 40k games.

BuFFo
11-17-2010, 08:53 PM
The new FAQ do specify that if an entire unit in reserves cannot be placed on the board they are destroyed.

Am I wrong about this?

If you and your opponent agree before the game to use the house rules provided by GW's design team (and gamers who ask the questions in the first place, as most FAQs are asked and answered by people outside GW's fold) then you are not wrong.

lobster-overlord
11-17-2010, 08:54 PM
turn is side ways.

problem solved.

BuFFo
11-17-2010, 09:31 PM
turn is side ways.

problem solved.

Ha, nice :)

Ice covered tracks!

JMichael
11-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Not really a big deal. I did play in a Spearhead tournament where the I.G. player was a real douche anyway. I would've loved to hit him up with this just to force him to deploy his shadowsword.
Which btw, I won that game 5kp to 0kp.

I think the FAQ is intended for large units, or in places where enemy units and terrain would prevent a full deployment in that area.

DarkLink
11-18-2010, 12:16 AM
Ha, nice :)

Ice covered tracks!

Heh, real life tanks can do some pretty impressive things. They make 40k tanks look like farm tractors with guns:rolleyes:.

BuFFo
11-18-2010, 12:23 AM
I think the FAQ is intended for large units, or in places where enemy units and terrain would prevent a full deployment in that area.

You know who that particular FAQ and Answer is intended for, honestly?

Idiots.

Pure, stupid idiots.

The kind of idiot who thinks its clever to 'force' you to not be able to deploy a Super Heavy because "I read it online somewhere, hence I am a more superior nerd than you!"

sangrail777
11-18-2010, 12:38 PM
Wow. Ya know a question like that has never occured to those I play with. I would like to take the time to thank all my opponents for having the common sense and courtasie to allow each other to put their models on the board. (I have plenty of super heavies) My titans and tanks have never been questioned.
My opinion is if you are so afraid to fight some ones army just cuz of what they bring to the table then either you need to address these concerns when chooseing armys and points or don't play them cuz you can't hang. I'm not a power gamer, but any body who's gonna try to get me to role for damage just for deploying is a f*#%ing douche.

gcsmith
11-18-2010, 12:47 PM
To be fair its not douchey saying you cant move more than your movement. In the end you want to reserve you face the consequences. Now I would let a super heavy deploy in reserves, but if you were being a git I would rules lawyer your face in.

sangrail777
11-18-2010, 12:52 PM
ok just to be clear, you understand I am only talking about super heavies simple getting on the board at the bare minimium. I also agree that other units should pay for this.

DarkLink
11-18-2010, 03:34 PM
You know who that particular FAQ and Answer is intended for, honestly?

Idiots.

Pure, stupid idiots.

The kind of idiot who thinks its clever to 'force' you to not be able to deploy a Super Heavy because "I read it online somewhere, hence I am a more superior nerd than you!"

It's also intended for people who are too big of pushovers to respond to the nerdy idiot with an "I'm going to put this on the table, or I'm going to put it [Censored by Inquisition]".

gcsmith
11-18-2010, 03:35 PM
yes I understand that, but to do that they must move more than they are allowed to do so.
Thats why against friendly people I would say yes.
Gits and annoying people. Nope you cant come on.

Valkerie
11-18-2010, 04:16 PM
Simple solution: if the vehicle is nine inches long, let it move nine inches that turn to get on the board. Next turn, it can only move three inches. Essentially it uses up part of it;s second round of movement. This would stop anyone from complaining that the super heavy is getting extra movement.

At least I hope it would.

BuFFo
11-18-2010, 05:23 PM
It's also intended for people who are too big of pushovers to respond to the nerdy idiot with an "I'm going to put this on the table, or I'm going to put it [Censored by Inquisition]".

I must say, you surely are the more optimistic side of me :D

Kieranator K82
11-18-2010, 06:42 PM
turn is side ways.

problem solved.

Problem not solved. Super-Heavies based on the Baneblade chassis are wider than 6".

Treat your opponent the way you would like to be treated. Or some -Blam!- like that.

Tynskel
11-18-2010, 07:48 PM
here's a simple solution: If your opponent won't let you bring your tank on from reserve, because it is too big for its own good, you should never play with them again.

Mr.Pickelz
11-19-2010, 01:20 AM
I only see this one being a problem with me, in that if the map is terrain heavy and my side has alot of terrain, then putting 30 size boyz will be a hard fit. i'll have to re-think how to put terrain around my forces), for GK's SW and Daemons, this won't affect at all.

Denzark
11-24-2010, 05:38 AM
I don't like the 'hang off the table' option. Because it makes rear shots impossible, and side shots difficult at best.

And what if the vehicle is disables in this position, or the player then chooses to leave it there?

It comes on all the way, or you headbutt your opponent.

Simples.

Tynskel
11-24-2010, 08:18 AM
I have yet to even run into an opponent that said you cannot bring on your tank. I think this just an internet phenomenon.