PDA

View Full Version : What is the Moonfang?

Kieranator K82
11-15-2010, 12:57 AM
Alas, I must now turn to the greater community to answer my dilemma, declined to be answered by Customer Service;

Kor'sarro Khan, Master of the Hunt, is armed with a weapon called 'Moonfang.' For some bizarre reason, Mr Matthew Ward, Codex author, decided to give the Moonfang the most ambiguous definition provided in the Codex. It can be translated in two game-changing ways. For your convenience, I have included the extract from the Tome of the Astartes to which I refer:

"Moonfang: This is an ancient power sword and a relic of the White Scars chapter."

The way I see it, this sentence can be interpreted in two different, and game altering, ways. First, the more default option of Moonfang being a standard power weapon, albeit with additional rules. Second, the less likely to be accepted but more fun option of Moonfang being a relic blade, also with the additional rules. To show the foggy nature of the above extract, I have provided below some examples of other Character weapons' definitions:

"Gauntlets of Ultramar: These are a matched pair of power fists."
"Talassarian Tempest Blade: This is a power weapon."
"Rod of Tigurius: The Rod of Tigurius is a master-crafted force weapon."
"Infernus: This is a master-crafted combi-flamer..."
"The Fist of Dorn: This is a master-crafted thunder hammer."
"The Raven's Talons: These are a pair of master-crafted lightning claws."
"The Spear of Vulkan: This is a master-crafted relic blade."

These examples make it clear that Mr Ward's definition of Moonfang is somewhat debatable, and the question rises: Is Moonfang a power weapon or a relic blade?

I'll leave it to you, the men( and women, few and far between as they are) of BolS to determine the answer.

eagleboy7259
11-15-2010, 01:28 AM
I'm pretty sure it clearly states that it is a Master-Crafter Power Sword

SotonShades
11-15-2010, 03:02 AM
well the text says that it is a relic and not a relic blade, so we can only assume that it is only a power sword

Kieranator K82
11-15-2010, 03:22 AM

Nope, that was a direct transcription from my Codex.

That's my thought as well. Just thought it could have been worded better, and wanted to see others' takes on this.

DarkLink
11-15-2010, 04:57 AM
While it is odd, it isn't unclear. "This is an ancient power sword" means it's a power sword. The "...and a relic of the chapter" has absolutely no bearing on the rules you use. There is no way you can use the second part to turn it into a Relic Blade.

A Relic Blade is a relic of the chapter, but a relic of the chapter is not necessarily a Relic Blade.

Tynskel
11-15-2010, 07:54 AM
I really don't see a debate. It says it is a Master Crafted Power Sword, whereas for Vulkan it says it is a Master Crafted Relic Blade.

ALL of the 'special' wargear are Relics from another age.

UltramarineFan
11-15-2010, 12:08 PM
I really don't see a debate. It says it is a Master Crafted Power Sword, whereas for Vulkan it says it is a Master Crafted Relic Blade.

ALL of the 'special' wargear are Relics from another age.

...did you look at your codex? it doesn't say that it's a master crafted power sword. Under Khan's entry at the back it's just listed as 'Moonfang' and in his bestiary entry it says; 'This is an ancient power sword and a relic of the White Scars chapter. Any rolls to wound on which Kor'sarro scores a 6 will cause Instant Death, regardless of the target's toughness.'

No more, no less.

I say it's a power sword which causes instant death on a roll to wound of 6.

david5th
11-15-2010, 02:18 PM
I say it's a power sword which causes instant death on a roll to wound of 6.

Same here.

Drew da Destroya
11-15-2010, 03:20 PM
Same here.

Oh yeah? Well I say it's the tooth of the man in the moon, which causes your enemy to be bathed in lunar energy and instantly transported into the depths of space when the Emperor wills it. Or on particularly good hits, when you catch your opponent just below the chin.

Of course, some enemies of the Imperium can survive the depths of space, but at least they're out of the fight. And usually missing their head.

Kieranator K82
11-15-2010, 06:28 PM
Oh yeah? Well I say it's the tooth of the man in the moon, which causes your enemy to be bathed in lunar energy and instantly transported into the depths of space when the Emperor wills it. Or on particularly good hits, when you catch your opponent just below the chin.

Of course, some enemies of the Imperium can survive the depths of space, but at least they're out of the fight. And usually missing their head.

Lol.

And I agree with everyone here, except maybe Drew and his 'tooth of the man in the moon' theory. That is how I've always thought it would be used. We don't really want Khan to be S7 on the charge, do we?

eagleboy7259
11-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Lol.

And I agree with everyone here, except maybe Drew and his 'tooth of the man in the moon' theory. That is how I've always thought it would be used. We don't really want Khan to be S7 on the charge, do we?

Would it matter? Khan is really a useless character when it comes down to it. Anybody using a Biker Army knows how important charpter tactics are in keeping your units alive and getting them out of bad situations. That and a biker captain with relic blade is cheaper than Khan and better in CC.

Kieranator K82
11-16-2010, 12:39 AM
I'm running him on foot in transport, to benefit from his Chapter Tactics. If I wanted a bike list I would've taken a custom captain. Basically, the entire army performs some risky outflanking, and Khan gets to hit people in the face with the 'tooth of the man in the moon.'

david5th
11-16-2010, 09:48 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hKSYgOGtos.

could not find anything relating to man in the moon.

Drew da Destroya
11-16-2010, 11:57 AM
Excellent, my work here is finished!

lol

Mycroft Holmes
11-16-2010, 04:21 PM
I'm running him on foot in transport, to benefit from his Chapter Tactics. If I wanted a bike list I would've taken a custom captain. Basically, the entire army performs some risky outflanking, and Khan gets to hit people in the face with the 'tooth of the man in the moon.'

I run him exactly the same way.

His ability to deal ID on any To Wound roll of a 6, Furious Charge to his Unit and Hit & Run to his unit make him pretty damn awesome when combined with my normal A.Term squad.

Mycroft

dannyat2460
11-30-2010, 05:30 AM
I always thort that moonfang was his bike not his weapon, as far as i can remember not having my codex to hand is that it is a power weapon that causes instant death on a to wound roll of a six regardless of toughness but alas without a codex i am unsure

SeattleDV8
11-30-2010, 08:05 AM
Moonfang is a Power Sword, with the ID bit
Moondrakkan is his Bike, with run and fleet