PDA

View Full Version : 2000pt IG army

warz
08-24-2009, 07:18 PM
I am starting a new guard army and would like suggestions or comments on what could be improved or is just a bad idea. Really any helpful comments are accepted. What I wanted to do with this army is to have an all around army that could deal with various tactics/armies while keeping all around effectiveness.

HQ
Command Squad - 102pts
Boltgun, vox, glauncher x 3, bodyguards x 2

Troop
Platoon # 1
Command - 52pts
boltgun, vox, glauncher x3

Squad 65 x 3 = 195pts
All have vox and melta

Heavy Weapons Squads
#1 Lascannon x3 - 105pts
#2 Hvy Bolter x 3 - 75pts
#3 Hvy Bolter x 3 - 75pts
#4 Autocannon x 3 - 75pts
#5 Lascannon x 1 & missle x 2 - 95pts

Special Weapons Squads
#1 flamer or sniper x3 - 50pts
#2 plasma x 3 - 80pts

Veterans - 125
Power fist, flamer x 2, carapace armor, all squad members have shotguns (personal preference)

Penal Legion x 2 - 160

Fast Attack
Valkyrie Squadron - 390
Valkyrie x 3, missile pods x 3

Elite
Ratlings (6) - 60

Heavy Support
Leman Russ Battle Tank- 180 x 2 = 360
Hvy Bolter sponsons, hvy stubber
The Russes are in separate squadrons

Total - 1999
Once more, please comment, I am new to guard and require the help.

Chaos
08-24-2009, 07:24 PM
Wait so heavy weapons squads are not heavy support?

warz
08-24-2009, 07:32 PM
No, all five squads are included in the platoon.

Eyespy
08-24-2009, 08:20 PM
I am starting a new guard army and would like suggestions or comments on what could be improved or is just a bad idea. Really any helpful comments are accepted. What I wanted to do with this army is to have an all around army that could deal with various tactics/armies while keeping all around effectiveness.

HQ
Command Squad - 102pts

Avoid Boltguns. Because they don't fit the 'base five' pricing of the rest of the codex, they will effectivley prevent you from spending 5 pts on something better.

Look at buying a chimera for this squad

Troop
Platoon # 1
Command - 52pts

Squad 65 x 3 = 195pts
All have vox and melta

You're spending alot of points on Vox's, but to be honest they new orders arn't so important as to need them except on Heavy squads, which can't take them. I reccomend dropping them. Give the squads a motar or Autocannon instead.

Limiting your special weapon to 12" in a line squad, especially at BS3 won't be as effective as you'd like. Look at Grenade launchers. GL/AC is a nice combination that works on most anything.

Heavy Weapons Squads
#1 Lascannon x3 - 105pts

A little bit of everything, dangerous but easy to kill. I'd put some of them in to your infantry squads for some ablative wounds, but thats up to you.

Special Weapons Squads
#2 plasma x 3 - 80pts

Flamer yes, Plasma no. BS3 will really hurt the effectiveness of plasma. Put them in your CCS or vet squad instead.

Veterans - 125
Power fist, flamer x 2, carapace armor, all squad members have shotguns (personal preference)

Add a Heavy flamer and mount them in a Valkerie and this is one mean unit. Take a few more!

Penal Legion x 2 - 160

Once again, transport is the key to using these effectivley.

Fast Attack
Valkyrie Squadron - 390

Take 3 seperate squadrons rather then one squadron of 3.

Elite
Ratlings (6) - 60

Nothing special. Maybe swap them for a command squad chimera or Marbro. Everyone loves Marbro.

Heavy Support

You can't move and fire those sponsons, meaning you will always be hit automatically at your rear armour in assult. If you want to use them like this, try surrounding your tanks with Guardsmen to keep assult squads at bay.

Chumbalaya
08-24-2009, 08:50 PM
HQ
Command Squad - 102pts

Bolters are a waste of points, Glaunchers are a waste of your BS4 and bodyguards are meh. If you want them on foot, I'd go for camo and a vox and just hide them and boss your infantry around.

Troop
Platoon # 1
Command - 52pts

No bolters, pretend this is your SWS, only not bad.

Squad 65 x 3 = 195pts
All have vox and melta

Footslogging meltas are meh. If you want to, add power weapons and a Commissar and mob them up as a good tarpit. Should keep Land Raiders away and can tie most units down.

Heavy Weapons Squads
#1 Lascannon x3 - 105pts

Autocannons are superior. Cheap, high S, high RoF, no need for orders. The rest are either bad (mortar, hb) or too pricey (las, missile).

Special Weapons Squads
#2 plasma x 3 - 80pts

PCS is better, 6 men on foot are meat.

Veterans - 125

Powerfist is pricey, meltas are better for BS4 and carapace is overpriced.

Penal Legion x 2 - 160

Meh. Not good, but not terrible.

Fast Attack
Valkyrie Squadron - 390

Split them up, Vendettas might serve you better for the extra AT at range.

Elite
Ratlings (6) - 60

Filler.

Heavy Support

Sponsons and stubbers are too pricey and not even that useful. BTs are compromise tanks, any other variant does it better.

If you want to do air cav, I'd recommend picking up more. 2 Valks and 2 Vendettas (Valks together, Vends separate). Stick a big mean CCS (Straken and Co.) in there and 3 Vet squads with 2 meltas, 1 HF. Straken is hilarious and smashes face, while the Vets give you fast melta and burny goodness. Back them up with massed autocannons and a pair of Demolishers to threaten heavy armor and infantry.

Jwolf
08-24-2009, 09:52 PM
Lascannons are bad on paper, but not so bad in play, if used correctly.
Heavy Bolters HWTs are shelf-warmers in the current Codex. Autocannons kill Rhinos and Chimeras, and you need to do a lot of that.
Veterans should be armed with meltaguns, unless you think you want plasma for some special reason.
Special Weapons Squads with demo charge(s) and flamer(s) can be useful as reserves or Valkyrie riders, but not optimal. Veterans are more useful and regular troops squads are more durable in either role.
Penal Legions are generally unneeded if you have 3 outflanking units to begin with. Legionaires can't do much about enemy vehicles, so their potential value as outflanking objective grabbers is easily prevented by opponents.
No reason at all to have the Valkyries in a single squadron.

warz
08-25-2009, 04:08 PM
This is my revised list using many of the suggestions given, please comment because it really does help. Thanks

HQ
Command Squad - 110pts
melta x 4, carapace, in chimera
Chimera - 55pts

Troop
Platoon # 1
Command - 55pts
Autocannon, glauncher x 3

Squad - 65 x 3 = 195pts
Autocannon, glauncher

Squad - 115 x 2 = 230pts
power weapon, commissar w/ power weapon, melta, in chimera
Chimera - 55 x 2 = 110pts

Heavy Weapons Squads
#1 Autocannon x 3 - 75pts
#2 Autocannon x 3 - 75pts

Veterans - 125 x 3 = 375pts
power fist, heavy flamer, melta x 2, all squad members have shotguns, each mounted in a valkyrie

Fast Attack
Valkyrie - 130 x 3 = 390
missile pods x 3
Seperate Squadrons

Heavy Support
Leman Russ Battle Tank- 165 x 2 = 330pts
lascannon

Total - 2000

Eyespy
08-25-2009, 07:53 PM
Autocannon, glauncher x 3

Check your math, this isn't right.

I'd drop the Lascannons on your Battle tanks, as they're better for shooting infantry.

Use the points to upgrade some of your meltas to plasma for extra range, or take a Office of the Fleet to mess with Deep Striking units.

TheKingElessar
08-25-2009, 08:07 PM
Wait so heavy weapons squads are not heavy support?

Owning the Codex is a good start for advice. lol

Personally, I'm not a fan of putting CC weapons that (hopefully) won't get used, in squads. More men > piss-poor CC boosts.