PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Raptors

JxKxR
11-12-2010, 02:45 PM
So I really like the chaos raptors models and want to use them in my army and was wondering how to use them. I was thinking about running a squad of five with two melta guns and an icon of chaos glory for deepstriking lesser daemons. I also have a new daemon prince with wings and was thinking of using raptors to support him. Should I give them a mark? Should I take two melta guns? Is five enough to be effective? Should I take a champion?

gcsmith
11-12-2010, 02:55 PM
is tzeench one that gives invun? if so do 5 with 2 meltas and go tank hunting with mark of tzeench, or if ur daemon prince uses lash take 2 flamers to support him.

JxKxR
11-12-2010, 03:04 PM
Yeah Tzeentch gives them 5+ inuvlnearable save. My daemon prince probable will have lash since he looks like slaanesh, the picture on the front of the box. Then again my army could use some tank hunters... I'll probable go with Tzeentch. Thanks man!

gcsmith
11-12-2010, 03:10 PM
nps glad i can be of some help

Droofus
11-12-2010, 08:27 PM
One of our local guys was using two of these squads to great effect.

Basically they were barebones 5-man squads with 2 meltas. Total suicide squads, but opponents focusing on them would have to face down a daemon prince and a bunch of bezerkers immediately afterward. They excelled at popping transports and nuking big tanks that could threaten his forces.

I'd recommend you leave them markless as well. The marks are a flat cost item, meaning that it's the same cost to upgrade 5 guys to have the mark of tzeentch as it is to upgrade 20. Save your points to put marks on your bigger squads.

Connjurus
11-12-2010, 11:57 PM
I only ever run Raptors when I use my Blissgiver winged Lord. They're great ablative casualties, and with the Mark of Slaanesh at I:5, a five man squad on the charge is pumping out an extra 15 attacks combined with the Chaos Lord's butt-ton.

Other than that, anything they can do, like tank hunting, Obliterators do better, with more survivability.

Tynskel
11-13-2010, 07:53 AM
Nurgle might be good too. T5 Jump Packs are pretty tough! Although, I'd would take a full squad considering Nurgle is so darn expensive.

Connjurus
11-13-2010, 08:24 AM
Nurgle might be good too. T5 Jump Packs are pretty tough!

Yeah, but without that Feel No Pain that Plaguemarines get, I'm really not sure if it's worth it. Considering their base wargear (bolt pistol and chain sword), I'd say focus on what they're meant for. Give the Champion TLCs, and give the squad either MoK or MoS, then leave well enough alone. Stick a Blissgiver Lord to'em (Initiative 6, D6 extra attacks, instant death) with wings, and hooooly ****, look at the pain.

Tynskel
11-13-2010, 08:28 AM
I agree, a Blissgiver Lord is probably one of the best ways to use that squad! For Fluff's sake, though, I would use MoS.

Connjurus
11-13-2010, 08:56 AM
I agree, a Blissgiver Lord is probably one of the best ways to use that squad! For Fluff's sake, though, I would use MoS.

Same, and I generally do...

Not just fluff's sake, though. xP It's rare that anything short of Eldar/Dark Eldar will even get a hit in with that number of I:5/6 attacks coming at them. Plus, the MoS is so CHEAP.

Lupercal
11-13-2010, 09:42 AM
Personally, I enjoy using a 5-man Raptor squad in an anti-infantry role. Icon of Khorne, 2 flamers, champ with plasma pistol. That's (potentially) 21 attacks on the charge. The 2 flamers ignore cover and are quite nice at softening a unit before the charge. Against MEQ they're mostly a diversionary unit, but are a real threat to softer armies. Not for use against terminators or most tanks, though.

eagleboy7259
11-13-2010, 07:51 PM
I know Khrone players tend to use them beacuse their bezerkers can't take melta. How you're going to use these things really depends on what you need in your list right now, either as an assault unit, or fast counter assault / anti-tank. Really they suffer from the same problems that assault squads do in typical marines lists - they only have the resilence and impact of your typical tactical squad / chaos marine squad. If you're looking for an assualt unit or a tank popper there are better units in the book which fulfill the same role.

Connjurus
11-13-2010, 11:14 PM
I know Khrone players tend to use them beacuse their bezerkers can't take melta. How you're going to use these things really depends on what you need in your list right now, either as an assault unit, or fast counter assault / anti-tank. Really they suffer from the same problems that assault squads do in typical marines lists - they only have the resilence and impact of your typical tactical squad / chaos marine squad. If you're looking for an assualt unit or a tank popper there are better units in the book which fulfill the same role.

For the third time - if you're not using them as extra wounds/attacks for a Blissgiver Lord, you shouldn't be using them.