PDA

View Full Version : Dark Eldar: Are KabaliteWarriors on foot worth it?

BlindGunn
11-12-2010, 10:48 AM
Hi.

Been drooling over the new codex a few days now. Over-all, I've liked most of what I've seen and can see possabilities in most of it. As I have a couple of the original Forgeworld Razorwings, I can't WAIT to try those out! :D

However, Ive noticed the severe restrictions on the Kabalite Warriors. Gone is the day of 2 dark lances in a squad of 10 (Definitely under-points previously). I usually took 2 squads of warriors on foot before (these were the REALLY low rungs of the totem pole), one with lances and the second, I would experiment with Splinter Cannons and Blasters.

Now, as nasty as Dark Lances are, I don't really see a use for a single lance in a squad of 10 that can't move and shoot.

I am thinking of going back to 2 squads on foot - one Splinter Cannon and one Blaster to increase my Troop (and models) count. Intended mostly as anti-infantry and a blaster in case some target of opportunity shows up. Also, as "guards" for any objectives in my side of the board or where I can run them to in 2 turns or less.

Or, I can drop one squad and mount the other back on a raider and forget the whole idea! :o

(BTW: Already planned on at least one other Kabal on a Raider and a squad of Wyches as troop choices in a 1500pt list.)

Is there a use for Foot Kabal anymore? :confused:

Archon Charybdis
11-12-2010, 10:58 AM
On foot, I'd say only if coming out of a WWP or camping on an objective in a 20-man squad with attached Haemy. A giant 20-man squad with splinter cannons is a great place to throw Duke Sliscus, and even if only the 2 splinter cannons are in range to shoot they'll inflict 5-6 wounds on their own with 3+ poison.

Splug
11-12-2010, 11:24 AM
On foot, I'd say only if coming out of a WWP or camping on an objective in a 20-man squad with attached Haemy. A giant 20-man squad with splinter cannons is a great place to throw Duke Sliscus, and even if only the 2 splinter cannons are in range to shoot they'll inflict 5-6 wounds on their own with 3+ poison.I played against a 20 warrior squad with the duke last night. It was probably the most reliable and impressive thing I saw on the table. The only problem is that if the squad gets assaulted by much of anything, they're going to break and die... but that's what the entire rest of your army should be preventing. I don't know about mass-spamming warriors on foot (especially since you can only have the duke with one squad at a time), but one unit of 20 certainly can do well.

BlindGunn
11-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Hmmm - never thought to combine them into a single 20-man unit. The Duke isn't too expensive for a 1500pt list, either. Might be something to try out!

Thanks for the Idea!

BuFFo
11-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Is there a use for Foot Kabal anymore? :confused:

Of course there is.

Remember that a 250 point DE unit with 2 Dark Lances is pretty tough to crack. A Devestator unit with only 5 models and 4 lascannons costs 230 points.

Now, the difference is that you 'only' get 2 Dark Lances, but you have 20 wounds.

But that is the extreme example.

I run 20 warrior units with 2 Splinter Cannons. The mobility + firepower against anything on foot is amazing.

For years people always assumed my DE would run raiders, but when I deploy a sea of warriors, their eyes widen as all their anti tank goes out the window quickly.

You just need to watch out for close combat. Warriors suck major poop in CC, like any other strength 3 unit would in 40k.

In my 1500 - 2500 point lists, for a balanced list, I always fit in 2 20 man warrior squads. Just having the bodies is impressive. Especially when you can use them to cut off an opponent's outflank :)

AirHorse
11-12-2010, 02:09 PM
I think they could be quite effective, im toying with the idea of building a 20man unit with phantasm grenade launcher and shoving a haemoculus with them for fnp.

That way they will be able to shrug off alot of extra firepower and be able to hold their own against units without power weapons in cc.

Drum2000
11-21-2010, 09:27 AM
Does the phantasm grenade launcher give the squad plasma grenades AND haywire grenades?

edit: Reread the 40K Rule Book on Assault and Defensive grenades. Assault grenades negate enemy cover, defensive grenades negate enemy assault bonus attack. So, haywire grenades are separate.

Xas
11-21-2010, 10:00 AM
I love my 100 pts 10 man unit.

It sits at home on an objective in covver and shots 15 poison shots at anything with a toughness value within 24" (so basically half the table) and even 6 shots up to 36" away when it is needed.

it is great for giving measured doses of killing power into units to soften up before you assoult them (as strange as it might appear that 1-2 dead marines are usually exactly what is needed so a squad of yours can reliably whipe them out on the 2nd turn of combat and not loose to many models in the process).

w7west
11-23-2010, 09:20 AM
Warriors on foot at pretty good. They never want to be in assault, so having a small squad in a raider isn't really necessary. The best reason for putting them in a raider would be if you forgot your wyches and needed to get troops on to forward objectives. A 20 man squad on foot can mow down any pesky deepstrikers that come near your objective as well. Just be sure to protect them from assaults and deep striking flamers. They benefit greatly from the first pain token as well, so if your opponent fails to wipe them with a squad through shooting, they are likely to mow that squad down and become even harder to get rid of. This will make those drop pods think twice about rudely slamming down right next to your objective.

darthken
11-27-2010, 07:35 PM
having 20 warriors with just splinter rifles come out of a WWP and send 40 poisoned shots into a nearby unit is absolutely hilarious
tried it on the weekend they came out destroyed an avatar and because my opponent was tied up elsehwhere next turn they got to kill the wraithlord

BlackEnsign
11-29-2010, 05:23 AM
I used to do very well with 5 squads of Warriors on foot.... That was 50 Warriors with 10 Dark Lances for 500 points, which meant lots of pts left for cool stuff. :D It kinda lost it's edge when 5th Ed decided to prevent me from holding objectives with Wyches and Incubi, but I still went back to that list occasionally and had lots of fun.

Now with only one Dark Lance the 10 man squad is 115 pts (vs old codex 100pts), but considering the splinter weapons are now poisoned they are still worth while. Still, my list is VERY different from what it used to be. I hardly even fired the splinter rifles with the old codex...

What you should consider is this: Is it worth paying 60 pts for a paper plane to transport a squad worth only 115 pts? I see said squad as sitting in cover on a close objective, while having enough range to still be "involved".