PDA

View Full Version : 2011 - Year of the 40k Flyer?

eldargal
11-08-2010, 10:32 PM
Sounds rather lovely, if accurate:

So after reading the recent post about Jes's comments I wanted to get some inside skinny.

We know Jes mentioned the DE flyers as being "on the way" And we have had constant rumoring of the Storm Raven.

Well I did some work asking and this is what I have to report.

There are currently 7 flyers in development...some complete, some nearing completion.

Possibility for a summer "Flyer" White Dwarf to introduce them, including special rules.

Tau, Eldar/DE, Ork, SM, Nid, ???

It makes a lot of sense, but if each of these is roughly the size of a Valk set, that's a huge release.

It would give credence to prior rumors the Storm Raven would not be released with GK...assuming GK still make Q1.

It doesnt seem to invalidate anything Jes has said.

We have had a history of these "combined" releases occuring mid year for a few years.

Cheers.

Asymmetrical Xeno
11-08-2010, 11:19 PM
I kinda expected them to eventually do something like this, and I'm glad it sounds like it might very well happen. I could see Orks getting deffkoptas, I guess the stormraven is likely too.

Wishlist : I'd love to see a necron flyer that looks like their small ships in BFG. But doutbful they'd do that.

SotonShades
11-09-2010, 05:15 AM
If nothing else, it'd be a great reboot for apocolypse games. Apart from the Valk, those few of us lucky enough to have FW kits and those of us mad enough for some of the awesome converstions out there, access to flyers is more or less nil.

Personnally I have a small air wing, but don't often get to use them in Apoc games because they can be overwhelming for someone who doesn't have flyers themselves, or a ton of anti-air. Hopefully, with a few more GW priced models (as opposed to FW prices) out there, we can have a good few airbattles in the 41st millennium. That or i could just get a few more squadrons for Aeronautica Imperialis :P

Melissia
11-09-2010, 06:43 AM
The last one would obviously be IG/Inquisition/Sisters.

Thunderbolts, Lightnings, Marauders, Vultures, VAlkyries, Aquilas, Arvus'.

Quite a selection to choose from-- and probably not complete.

Defenestratus
11-09-2010, 07:06 AM
First - Cool. This is needed. Even though I've already got a healthy Eldar airforce, I could always use more.

Second - damnit I have to wait until summer for a storm raven!?!

MarneusCalgar
11-09-2010, 08:58 AM
Hope this is true, for Stormraven, a plastic Thunderhawk or so...

But also hope it is also the year for the wolf mounted cavalry for the sons of Russ!!

Brass Scorpion
11-09-2010, 09:53 AM
Sound interesting and plausible based on the Spearhead release concept of last summer.

Paintraina
11-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Space marines riding dragons.

Would there be anything cooler?

Melissia
11-09-2010, 01:14 PM
A guardsman without a special weapon is cooler.

Mycroft Holmes
11-09-2010, 01:46 PM
A guardsman without a special weapon is cooler.

Does not exist!

Archon
11-09-2010, 02:13 PM
Space marines riding dragons.

Would there be anything cooler?

Do you forgot a ironic-smily or something? This is not cool - this is beneath the background of 40K. Infact this is more like masters of the universe - puppy style than proud and heroic space marines.

Porty1119
11-09-2010, 03:42 PM
MOAR FLYERZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As someone else said, kinda like Spearhead, but flying!! Sounds awesome!!! Now, to get to work on a Thud or three and some Hydras...

Kahoolin
11-09-2010, 05:32 PM
:( Looks like I'm the only one who doesn't really dig flyers. I like infantry and tanks, if I wanted aerial dogfights I'd play a game about aerial dogfighting. Plus, I can't think of anything I'd like to paint less than a big helicopter or whatever.

I'll just have to stock up on AA and shoot everyone's shiny new toys out of the skies :cool:

Melissia
11-09-2010, 06:22 PM
I don't like flyers either, but if there has to be fliers I'm going to get a lightning and decorate it with Sororitas emblems.

Sanguinary Dan
11-09-2010, 06:52 PM
I hope it's not true. Where in the he111 would I put them? Fine so so I lied. I WANT FLYERS!

Tynskel
11-09-2010, 07:09 PM
If nothing else, it'd be a great reboot for apocolypse games. Apart from the Valk, those few of us lucky enough to have FW kits and those of us mad enough for some of the awesome converstions out there, access to flyers is more or less nil.

Personnally I have a small air wing, but don't often get to use them in Apoc games because they can be overwhelming for someone who doesn't have flyers themselves, or a ton of anti-air. Hopefully, with a few more GW priced models (as opposed to FW prices) out there, we can have a good few airbattles in the 41st millennium. That or i could just get a few more squadrons for Aeronautica Imperialis :P

Hah!
Sounds like what happens when someone has air superiority!

Yah should have seen it when my friend n' I scratch built a thunderhawk for the first Apocalypse Game we played. 200k, not one AA gun.
Thunderhawk Lazarus--- named after former 2nd Company Captain of the Blood Angels, hero of the Second War of Armageddon.
The Thunderhawk was an Angel over your shoulder on the battlefield. Wherever there was desperation, the Thunderhawk was there. When things turned for the worse--- 4 Hv Bolters, 2 Lascannons, 36 Bombs and a Str D pie plate to the rescue. And when a battle line needed reinforcements: a Command Squad, Chaplain, Tycho, Librarian, and 20 Marines disembarked.

You bet that every single Apocalypse Game after that one, there was always a hefty amount of AA covering the battlefield, as well as Ork Fighta Bombers, Lightnings, Nightwings, Barracudas, ect.

DrLove42
11-11-2010, 05:16 AM
Having 2 nightwings, 1 phoenix and 2 aa batteries means in the 5 games of Apoc i've played them in i've never once not had 100% air superiority by the end of the game. Once the AA targets are gone, hey just take their pick of the field...between them they've added Trygons, Chapter Masters, Baneblades, Heirodrules, Entire Seer Councils, Thunderbolts, Vendetta Squadrons to their kill list. And only ever had one shot down.

But i think they need to stay in Apocolpyse, not in standard games.

The Valk is beardy as, and when its pointed down so it sells more, i don't want to see more like it

SotonShades
11-11-2010, 05:27 AM
You've had the same one shot down twice :P Maybe you won't get air superiority If I count my Warkoptas as Flyers... though would have to be a combined ork/guard force

Defenestratus
11-11-2010, 06:47 AM
Having 2 nightwings, 1 phoenix and 2 aa batteries means in the 5 games of Apoc i've played them in i've never once not had 100% air superiority by the end of the game. Once the AA targets are gone, hey just take their pick of the field...between them they've added Trygons, Chapter Masters, Baneblades, Heirodrules, Entire Seer Councils, Thunderbolts, Vendetta Squadrons to their kill list. And only ever had one shot down.

But i think they need to stay in Apocolpyse, not in standard games.

The Valk is beardy as, and when its pointed down so it sells more, i don't want to see more like it

Funny,

I have the same force plus a vampire, and my phoenix never survives through a game of Apoc. Mostly they get shot down from traditional arms like Ork rokkits.

The vampire usually only has 1 structure point left at the end of the game- but its basically like a flying revenant so it should be a badass.

Drew da Destroya
11-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Wait, Ork Rokkits? They can hit things? Are you bringing 100 man Tankbusta mobz or something?

My rokkits never hit anything... I've given up on them, and just swing Klaws and Rollas. Kannons are a bit more effective, or Kan-Rokkitz.

Koppenflak
11-14-2010, 08:53 PM
Wait, Ork Rokkits? They can hit things? Are you bringing 100 man Tankbusta mobz or something?

My rokkits never hit anything... I've given up on them, and just swing Klaws and Rollas. Kannons are a bit more effective, or Kan-Rokkitz.

Abso-fething-lutely. Orks should love flyers, because their shooting is woeful to begin with, and there really is no difference between a Thunderhawk and a Chimera to them. Without AA mounts, absolutely everything needs 6s to hit, and blast weapons cant hit them at all. Want to kill a flyer? Bring AA. Failing this? Spam missiles. One of them will hit sooner or later!

Defenestratus
11-15-2010, 07:00 AM
Abso-fething-lutely. Orks should love flyers, because their shooting is woeful to begin with, and there really is no difference between a Thunderhawk and a Chimera to them. Without AA mounts, absolutely everything needs 6s to hit, and blast weapons cant hit them at all. Want to kill a flyer? Bring AA. Failing this? Spam missiles. One of them will hit sooner or later!

I have to agree 100%. My phoenix ONLY dies to ork twin linked rokkit attacks.

One shot is all it takes for those things to hit the dirt.

BlindGunn
11-15-2010, 08:38 AM
I have to agree - Twin Linked ANYTHING is dangerous to fliers. 1st time I took fliers, they got shot down by a Dread with twin-linked lascannon.

Xas
11-15-2010, 02:44 PM
TL, high strenght is really what is most dangerous to fliers.

One game I had my valkyrie flier with straken absorb around 7k of fire (he was treatening to land and take my oponents home objective) without any problems. hydras arent that scary if you've got AV12 vs their puny s trenght of 7.

then the space wolves player realiced his assoult-transports (landraiders) had another use other than to deliver ferious combatants savely into melee and shot it down with twinlinked lascannons -.-.

ohh and remoras hate ogryns (ogryns benefit from the ork syndrome. enough shots that hitting on 6 doesnt matter)...

when you think about it the normal godhammer landraider is the best anti-aircraft unit there is. hitting it into the sides doesnt hurt AV14 all around not a bit and most non-superheavy aircraft doesnt have weapons that can more than glance it and in return you have 4 tries to hit with s9 and 6 tries to hit with s5 and if you are evil a single s8 missile that hits on 3+ thanks to beeing pintle-mounted!