PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Liquifier Guns

DrLove42
11-07-2010, 04:12 AM
So a unit of 10 Wracks carries 2 Liquifier guns. For anyone who doesn't know they're flamers with a AP of D6

So in a squad of 2 do i roll for the AP of each one seperatly, or roll once for the squad and apply that to both of them?

I'm more inclined to the first as this represents each Wrack choosing how much of his own ooze to shoot

eldargal
11-07-2010, 04:31 AM
I would assume roll for each flamer seperately, I see no reason to assume otherwise unless you arranged it wiht your opponent ot save time or because you preferred it some such reason.

DarkLink
11-07-2010, 10:41 AM
I agree. Though, personally I wouldn't have a problem with saving time by rolling once for all of them in a squad.

BuFFo
11-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Roll for them separately.

DarkLink
11-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Right. I'll also add that rolling just once for all the ones in the squad is quite a bit more powerful. You have a flat 50% chance of becoming AP3. If you roll separately, then the odds of getting all AP 3 or better drops off quickly from 50 to 25 to 12.5 etc for each one you have.

So in a tournament or competitive game, always roll separately.

steelmage99
11-07-2010, 04:45 PM
I propose rolling them seperatly.

But just to keep things in perspective, when rolling just once for both guns, the odds of rolling AP1 is the same as rolling AP6. You will get less variation, but in the long run it kinda evens out.

(Yes, I know a game of 40k isn't "in the long run")

In a friendly game it can speed things up a bit, especially when using several units of Wracks.

Serenapth
11-08-2010, 02:00 PM
if you roll separatly you get a 75% chance of AP3 or better.
50% on first dice and 50% on second, so rolling separately is far better than that for 1 dice for the combined pair, 50% only.
so for uberkill, roll two dice,.... but for fair??? roll once and apply to both...(Pillory expectation awaited).

trouble is i am trying to think if this situation has arisen before with multiple variable AP values, apart form Stingers and Destructors from 1st Ed DE Codex which were unlikely to often occur in the same unit; and i'm struggling. First cases are soo hard to judge.

roll one dice and hope the dice averages are with you.

Mal
11-09-2010, 07:16 AM
they are meant to be rolled for seperately as they are seperate weapons, you may (if your opponent allows you ofc) roll for them together, but as serenapth stated the odds of getting AP3 is lower when they are rolled together.

BuFFo
11-09-2010, 07:34 AM
You have to roll for them separately. Rolling for them together is just cheating.

Tynskel
11-09-2010, 08:47 AM
I wouldn't say its cheating. There are instances where you roll once for the squad, granted it is written that way. However, it is to keep the pace of the game up.

BuFFo
11-09-2010, 11:49 AM
I wouldn't say its cheating. There are instances where you roll once for the squad, granted it is written that way. However, it is to keep the pace of the game up.

But it is cheating. What gives the player the right to roll both weapons at once? Why can't a space marine roll one dice to hit with his 10 bolters?

Each weapon is a separate weapon. You roll for the weapons separately.

Obviously if your opponent is okay with you rolling one d6 for both weapons or one dice for 10 bolters it isn't cheating, but we are talking about how to play the gun as per the basic rules of the game.

Lord_Byron
11-13-2010, 10:28 PM
I read the weapons entry of "roll for the liquifier gun's AP value every time it is fired" as indicating that two such guns in one squad would roll separately... as even though they are firing at the same time they are technically two different firings.

addamsfamily36
11-13-2010, 10:54 PM
Im with buffo on this one.

there is only one way in which you can roll and that's separately.

take two plasma guns or pistols in a unit. You wouldn't roll a dice to see if they both overheated or not, you roll separately because they individually have a chance of doing different things.

Likewise with the ap value. different outcomes can be achieved.