View Full Version : New Eldar from Forgeworld

Old_Paladin
11-05-2010, 10:18 AM
The Hornet light tank, and its rules, are now up on Forgeworld.

I like this little guy. Good rules, fills a nice intermediate space between the light Vyper and heavier falcon. The model is very, very nice.
Although, I'd worry about all the very thin pieces either snapping off or warping badly.

Defenestratus
11-05-2010, 11:07 AM
Just ordered 3.

Anyone notice the cost of the brightlance?

Melissia
11-05-2010, 11:12 AM
I'm more interested in the Ork glyphs mentioned in the same letter.

DarkLink
11-05-2010, 11:49 AM
Are the weapons cost for two weapons or do you have to buy each weapon twice? Because that gets way too expensive. This thing's too fragile to be carrying 60pts of bright lances. Though dual-pulse lasers would be pretty awesome (except for the BS 3).

Defenestratus
11-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Yeah the rules are a bit wonky. Another problem being that you can't move 12" and still fire all guns.

DarkLink
11-05-2010, 12:22 PM
About the only benefit that I see is that you can make a much better Vyper out of this. Keep your purchases down to just Splinter Cannon/Scatter Lasers, and you have a Vyper that's not open topped, is front and side AV 11 and gets free star engines, all almost as cheap as an actual Vyper.

But other than that, this thing's overpriced.

Old_Paladin
11-05-2010, 12:31 PM
I get the impression that you don't actually have to get the same weapon for each hardpoint.

Defenestratus
11-05-2010, 01:02 PM
You don't.

But like most everything else that is Eldar, the model is awesome, the rules are ..."ehhh"... and the points are "wtf??"

Demonus
11-05-2010, 01:11 PM
Yeah the rules are a bit wonky. Another problem being that you can't move 12" and still fire all guns.

could you with something else?

Old_Paladin
11-05-2010, 01:19 PM
could you with something else?

The new Dark Eldar Ravager (and planes); but otherwise, no.

Demonus
11-05-2010, 02:10 PM
ah ok thought i was missing something :)
i think the models look pretty cool, i may pick a couple up one of these days for that reason alone.

DarkLink
11-05-2010, 05:21 PM
I get the impression that you don't actually have to get the same weapon for each hardpoint.

You don't but that still doesn't help the point cost much

Old_Paladin
11-05-2010, 05:48 PM
I don't think the point cost is too much if you try to maintain a little balance.
One with a missile launcher and shurken cannon is only 5 points more then a las/assault/las+plas razorback; but you get a fast, scout with star-engines.

But yes, the double-brightlance with holofields probably isn't worth the cost.

scadugenga
11-05-2010, 09:59 PM
When I first saw the email, I was all WTF? with the thumbnail--it looked so damn hokey. I thought to myself, Okay, FW, wth were you thinking? You sculpt better than this!

Then I clicked on the damn thing and saw the full pic--much better. The cockpit area's still a bit too bulbous for me, but it's nice overall. I'll probably pick up a couple.

Rules-wise, still overpriced for what you get, but it's also nice for scouting/outflanking. Dual pulse lasers outflanking--you only need to move 6", fire 4 Str 8 ap2 shots into the side of you're opponent's mech and give him a headache.

Much more survivable than a Vyper, too.

DarkLink
11-05-2010, 11:20 PM
Much more survivable than a Vyper, too.

I think that's the way to use it, too, like a heavy Vyper. The cheap weapons aren't too much more expensive than an equivalent Vyper would be, but you get several benifits (AV 11, not open topped, star engines).

scadugenga
11-05-2010, 11:23 PM
I think that's the way to use it, too, like a heavy Vyper. The cheap weapons aren't too much more expensive than an equivalent Vyper would be, but you get several benifits (AV 11, not open topped, star engines).

Without a doubt. Anyone who tries to use this as a stand up fighter is going to be sorely disappointed.

You're definitely looking at a hit&run type of combat with this little gem.

eldargal
11-05-2010, 11:42 PM
Hm, three of these with TL scatter lasers zooming up behind the enemy... Not exactly cheap pointswise but faster moving than the War Walker equivalent.

Crae
11-06-2010, 03:41 AM
I'm I the only one thinking LOBSTER!!! :D
http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx91/cuthlas/eldar-hornet-01.jpg

Farseer Uthiliesh
11-06-2010, 04:10 AM
I'm I the only one thinking LOBSTER!!! :D

Great. Thanks. I couldn't see a lobster at first, and now I can't stop seeing one! :eek:

Bigred
11-06-2010, 01:17 PM
I like the rules, and the model, then I saw those razor pointed side winglets...

Just killed the design for me. It like Forgeworld just can't seem to stick with Jes' all curved surfaces and flattened design aesthetic for the Eldar.

Its a little to pointy and pudgy for my tastes. Its like they are subtly reverting to the Cobra MkI design aesthetic...

Also, yes, its a lobster - which is making me hungry :)

scadugenga
11-06-2010, 01:33 PM
Yeah, it's a bit bulbous. But for a lighter tank, I guess they only have so much room?

I'm hoping that the designs for the larger stuff will be better.

I mean, the Mk2 Cobra & Scorpions are flat out fantastic.

eldargal
11-07-2010, 04:50 AM
I like the bulbosity actually, but those little fin things do worry me, they look fragile and they are a bit odd on an Eldar vehicle as Bigred says.

Crotch Lictor
11-08-2010, 10:31 AM
I imagine one could take a knife to the pointy bits and round them off if it bugged you that much.