PDA

View Full Version : Dark Eldar Impressions.

eldargal
11-04-2010, 07:42 AM
So we have people well and truly receiving their Dark Eldar Advance Orders now, lets here what you think of the new models and codex.:)

Just some basic impressions:

Codex:
Superb fluff, in my opinion, excellent art, too. The rules seem excellent and I can't see any units as yet that won't earn their keep if used wisely. No picture of Lady Malys a bit dissapointing. One of the finest codices put out by GW, in my opinion. Some really nice paintjobs in the hobby section, and some more converted archons.

Archon. A lovely model, pots of detail and easily modified as we were told it would be. I've slapped a female Wych head on mine and in conjunction with the lithe body it makes you think the body is more feminine too, just what I hoped for. I had some issues sticking it together but thats probably just my super glue.:rolleyes:

Lelith: Beautiful model, we all knew that. It doesn't dissapoint in person, either. Small complaint though, the knife arm metal sprue thing was a bit bent and the pommel came off one of the daggers, real pain to glue back on.

Incubi: Really, really dynamic, some of the klaive wielding arms go on so tight they barely need glue which is nifty. I found it a bit of an effort to get the vanes and helmets on without them touching and looking a bit tangled. Oh and the klaives were all bent at 45 degree angle in the box, not sure if that is normal but it didn't do them any harm.

Warriors: I've only assembled one to test the paint scheme on but it went together much better than the last GW plastic I put together (Dire Avengers). Good instructions with all the bits labelled and you can actually make out details, unlike the DA instructions where the miniatures are just blobs of grey. So many options and bits, really impressed.

Wyches: Magnificient kit, I've only looked at the sprues and taken a head off for the Archon but I can't wait to start sticking things together. Plenty of extra bits, similarly good quality instructions.

Reavers: Enough of those nifty blank helmets to outfit all three like that if, like me, you wish to do so, with one left over. Only two female torsos, a tad annoying but probably only to me. The new ball flying base thingies look much stronger than the old kind. Seeing the pictures of the new reavers ay Games Day made me want to field some, seeing the kits in person make me want to field even more.

Raider: Unopened, by this point I'm overloading on grey plastic.:rolleyes: Edit: Opened the Raider, it really is very impressive. Only one female torso, which can't be the driver. Way to go GW, furthering the stereotype that women can't drive.:mad: (humour warning)

So, I've tried to list what negatives I could, but there aren't many that I can see and what there are are pretty pathetic as complaints go.

isotope99
11-04-2010, 07:53 AM
Raaargh! If I don't get my advance order soon, I will flay the people responsible alive, wear their skins as a coat and disembowel them with a spoon. :mad:

Or it's possible you're thinking of a different kind of impression.

helvexis
11-04-2010, 09:13 AM
ive opened my raider got my jetbikes and nothing else has got in yet but oh my god the raider is amazing

im in love and also despairing that my painting skills havent caught up with the models ><

Mal
11-04-2010, 09:39 AM
I picked up the first half of my oder last night, I have 50 wyches, lelith and a codex sat in front of me.. my god they look good!!

My only complaint about the wyches is you only get a single of each weapon in the box... so to make a unit of hekatrix bloodbrides with 3 shardnets you'll need to buy 3 boxes of wyches...

Now considering im running 1 unit of bloodbrides with 3 nets and 6 units with 2 nets a piece... you can see why I have this issue.

i'll need 15 boxes to make 7 units!! thats crazy!

eldargal
11-04-2010, 09:43 AM
It is a problem, I guess GW can't fit enough bits on to the sprue for every eventuality. All I can suggest is making some nets out of string soaked in pva or by some other method and attaching it to their arms.:)

BuFFo
11-04-2010, 10:02 AM
I am so glad that after all these years, other people can finally bask in the awesomeness which is the DE.

As for the Shardnets, seems that I am going ot have to cut them off of my old metal wyches, or make my own. Shouldn't be too hard to do at all.

Mal
11-04-2010, 10:59 AM
im going to wait until ebay does DE bits and grab a load from there

Mystery.Shadow
11-04-2010, 12:11 PM
As for Shardnets, I cut some pieces of old tattered Aquarium Fish Net* and placed on the model. Coated in PVA Glue, they become stiff and easy to paint!

*If you don't already have one, I'm sure you know someone who does. Wedding Veil also works well as a substitute. Fish Nets are cheap in the unlikely event you don't know someone who already has some!

Drew da Destroya
11-04-2010, 12:34 PM
Longshot, but does the Incubi Box come with parts for the Klavex-leader-dude? Like, Demiklaives or a bloodstone? I figure it doesn't, but it'd be a nice surprise.

What would a bloodstone even look like?

isotope99
11-04-2010, 01:02 PM
im going to wait until ebay does DE bits and grab a load from there

Expect those to go like hotcakes (anyone ever seen a hotcake for sale?)

I'm going to use some of the hooks on chains from the raiders as my second shardnets in squads that need two.

Farseer Uthiliesh
11-04-2010, 02:06 PM
I am so glad that after all these years, other people can finally bask in the awesomeness which is the DE.

As for the Shardnets, seems that I am going ot have to cut them off of my old metal wyches, or make my own. Shouldn't be too hard to do at all.

You can have mine - I have a spare shardnet.

Mal
11-04-2010, 03:03 PM
You can have mine - I have a spare shardnet.

Thats an idea, I can ask DE players who don't use them if I can swipe them :p

JonnyRoxtar
11-05-2010, 02:19 AM
I got mine last night at 7 pm which is a weird time to get anything delivered. Unfortunately Id signed up for a raid in WoW , which meant I spent the entire raid daydreaming about DE . Still I got phat loot from the raid so not all bad.

Ive had a look through the sprues for the wyches and warriors. The raider looks nice.
I will be trying to get something built and painted today.

A little disapointed that theres very little in the way of clues as to what the other stuff will be like, but the flyer sillouette looks damn nice.

Some of the rules have had me laughing maniacally, shatter missiles I thinking of you here ,and I was convinced by the reaver rules to get a bunch, not so sure about hellions but I`ll get some anyway cos theyre nice.

Im `cited.

eldargal
11-05-2010, 08:08 AM
Anyone had any problems with missing pieces? One of my brothers had a box of Incubi with only four weapons, and so did a friend in Australia.

The more I assemble/paint the more impressed I am with these kits. There are so many fantastic Warrior helmets I don't have enough bodies to put them on.

Oh I noticed something else, if you want to equip your Hekatrix with a Phantasm Grenade Launcher, you have to nab the part from the Warrior kit as the Wych kit doesn't have one.

isotope99
11-05-2010, 08:48 AM
Only problem I've had is they kept those stupid split shoulder pads from the eldar design :mad: So hard to get rid of the join line.

Otherwise so far pretty impressed, the raider went together easily. I like the fact that all the pieces are numbered on the sprue but I wish they didn't have quite so massive fold out instructions.

Also good news, there are lots of extras on the raider kit in particular.