PDA

View Full Version : Assaulting Stealth Suits

Pi666
11-02-2010, 06:00 AM
We recently found out a new ruling discussion.

Codex: Tau says that when you assault a Stealth Suit unit you it counts as you're "assaulting through cover"
Rulebook says, under the rule named "Assaulting through cover" you reduce your I to 1 if you "have to roll for difficult terrain".

My question is, when you assault stealth suits you don't have to roll for difficult terrain, so you won't have I 1 or you Initiative is reduced because you assault through cover and it's the general name of the rule?

DrLove42
11-02-2010, 06:31 AM
No you reduce the Init and difficult terrain.

Counts as the suits jumping out on you from "invisible"ness and going first.

You can't just read a rule and decide it can't be right!

evilamericorp
11-02-2010, 10:08 AM
Moot point, everything that matters has grenades.

DarkLink
11-02-2010, 10:21 AM
Moot point, everything that matters has grenades.

Except daemons and nidz.

andrewm9
11-02-2010, 10:49 AM
Except daemons and nidz.

Some Daemons have assualt and defensive grenade equivalents like Daemonettes and those models who have a cloud of flies.

blackarmchair
11-02-2010, 12:44 PM
Moot point, it's Tau they can't assault anyway.

If I were assaulting Tau I would let them go first anyway just to humor them.

DarkLink
11-02-2010, 03:39 PM
Some Daemons have assualt and defensive grenade equivalents like Daemonettes and those models who have a cloud of flies.

Regardless, the point is there are still a fair amount of assault units in the game that don't have grenades. GW eventually realized that if they gave everyone grenades, then there would be no point in even having that rule anymore:rolleyes:.

Rapture
11-04-2010, 09:11 AM
So does anyone have evidence for an actual explanation of this? I don't really get how assaulting stealth suits work or how grenades interact with their rules.

Mal
11-04-2010, 09:36 AM
Well the tau codex rules say if you assault they the assault is treated as charging through cover, this means you fight at I1 unless you have frag grenades (or equilivant), if you do have grenades then you fight at your normal I.

And thats all there is to it, I really don't see where the issue is.

Tau book says assault is treated as if assaulted through cover, so use the rules for asaulting through cover (which includes grenades).

Rapture
11-04-2010, 11:39 AM
I really don't see where the issue is.

No issue, just a question.

Tau book says assault is treated as if assaulted through cover, so use the rules for asaulting through cover (which includes grenades).

Thank you.

Tynskel
11-04-2010, 04:54 PM
doesn't count as being in cover mean the opponent must take a difficult terrain test, anyhow?

Lordgimpet
11-04-2010, 06:21 PM
doesn't count as being in cover mean the opponent must take a difficult terrain test, anyhow?

agreed. kinda makes sence as you are not sure if there is something there to charge or not.

Mal
11-05-2010, 04:22 AM

Yes, you use all the rules for assaulting through cover as normal.

Lerra
11-05-2010, 06:59 AM
For all the people saying this doesn't matter because it's Tau, what if you're combi-assaulting Stealth Suits and a squad of 32 kroot and hounds? It might matter to someone someday :P

Pi666
11-05-2010, 10:45 AM
So, if i understood what you posted, you must do a difficult terrain test in order to assault the stealth suits?

Tynskel
11-05-2010, 03:19 PM
For all the people saying this doesn't matter because it's Tau, what if you're combi-assaulting Stealth Suits and a squad of 32 kroot and hounds? It might matter to someone someday :P

don't combi- assault them.

Or

make sure both targets are 1" away! ;)

Besides.... aren't the Kroot in cover from the get go?

Commander Vimes
11-08-2010, 12:38 AM
5th edition effectively made the rule invalid.

The suits count as being in cover, but not difficult terrain, so you do not have to roll difficult to reach them. In 5th edition it is not assaulting models in cover that requires you to strike at I 1 but rolling difficult terrain. Since the suits don't make you roll terrain, the attackers don't strike at I 1.

Another example is Kroot assaulting in forests. The defender is in cover, but the kroot ignore difficult terrain from forests. Since they don't roll difficult, they don't strike at I 1.