PDA

View Full Version : starting a new army

iandward
10-24-2010, 01:59 PM
hi i'm starting a wood elves army
what should i have in the army

lobster-overlord
10-24-2010, 02:33 PM
Wood Elves. (it's about as specific an answer as you'll get with a very general question).

WHat is it that draws you to the WE as an army? That might be a place to start to determine what elements you will want/need in your force.

My wife started Wood Elves, mainly to have something to do while I was at the game store (we were new to teh area and didn't have any other places for her to go yet). She liked them for the fact that they were forest related and elves, so we started simple with the battalion box.

HawaiiMatt
10-24-2010, 05:57 PM
Take:
Wizard Lord (lore of life)
Elf Lord
Eternal Guard(1 unit at most)
Glade Guard (with the fighting lord, give him the item that makes him stubborn, and gear to keep him alive)
BSB (with gear to stay alive, joins eternal guard)
Glade Guard Scouts: just to take away the good scouting spot your opponent might go for.
Wild Riders: Hit really hard, you can add in fast cav heroes too, check out the FAQ.
Tree Kin: Take 6 or more in a unit, or none at all. Less than 6 is very likely to loose combat and give up a ton of points.
Treeman: If you can keep him near the BSB, General, and wizard lord (to be healed via lore of life)
Great Eagles: AwesomeSauce for 50 points

Things to Avoid:
Dryads. Don't hit hard enough to win, can't be big enough to take away steadfast, and take up too much frontage.
Glade Riders: Wildriders hit harder, and plenty of things shoot as good, or better.
WarDancers: step up is the kiss of death to this unit.
WarHawks: Great Eagles are cheaper and will get the same job done.
Dragon: Too expensive. You'll want a solid mage, and you can't have both unless you are playing a huge game.

Maybe's:
Waywatchers: You can march and shoot now, which is pretty cool, but I've never seen these guys do enough damage, and you're likely to see less idea targets on the table (more infantry, less high cost cav).

-Matt

Legoklods
12-02-2010, 10:19 AM
Take:
Wizard Lord (lore of life)
Elf Lord
Eternal Guard(1 unit at most)
Glade Guard (with the fighting lord, give him the item that makes him stubborn, and gear to keep him alive)
BSB (with gear to stay alive, joins eternal guard)
Glade Guard Scouts: just to take away the good scouting spot your opponent might go for.
Wild Riders: Hit really hard, you can add in fast cav heroes too, check out the FAQ.
Tree Kin: Take 6 or more in a unit, or none at all. Less than 6 is very likely to loose combat and give up a ton of points.
Treeman: If you can keep him near the BSB, General, and wizard lord (to be healed via lore of life)
Great Eagles: AwesomeSauce for 50 points

Things to Avoid:
Dryads. Don't hit hard enough to win, can't be big enough to take away steadfast, and take up too much frontage.
Glade Riders: Wildriders hit harder, and plenty of things shoot as good, or better.
WarDancers: step up is the kiss of death to this unit.
WarHawks: Great Eagles are cheaper and will get the same job done.
Dragon: Too expensive. You'll want a solid mage, and you can't have both unless you are playing a huge game.

Maybe's:
Waywatchers: You can march and shoot now, which is pretty cool, but I've never seen these guys do enough damage, and you're likely to see less idea targets on the table (more infantry, less high cost cav).

-Matt

I would simply like to say that I fully agree with what Matt says here. Never before have an entire army so thoroughly and yet so shortly been examined. As a long time WE player I should know, although make shure that the treeman isn't fighting big infantry units on his own.
other than that, high five matt.

Frimbleglim
12-12-2010, 02:13 PM
I advise not to play wood elves for the time being. They are very poor compared with most other armies and it doesn't look like that is going to change any time soon.

I have played wood elves since 6th/5th editon and I have never seen them so weak. (they are still better than tomb kings though by most accounts)

That said if you do choose to play wood elves then I say that Matt is wrong on many points.

Dryads are the wood elves most cost effective close combat unit now especialy bearing in mind they are stubborn in close combat.

Eternal guard are risky and overpriced.

Glade Gaurd Scouts are nearly as overpriced as warhawk riders. Do not use.

For more detailed wood elf forems see:
http://www.asrai.org/index.php