PDA

View Full Version : What army do you hate to see

JxKxR
10-23-2010, 03:28 PM
So I want to know what army you mainly play with and what army you dread to see on the other end of the board. What’s your nemesis?

I mainly play tau and when I play my friends Ultramarines it's always the bloodiest of battles and very often a draw. We usually bet bits to add to our models as trophies but when we draw no one gets the bits and they add into the next game and the pot is getting mighty full.

Mal
10-23-2010, 04:13 PM
I have a wide variety of armies, and they all suffer against the same list, IG mech spam...

Every army I run has a list chock full of AT weaponry purely to deal with this menace.

Anyhew, the main armies I run are Orks, Dark Eldar, Chaos Space Marines, Codex Space Marines.

JxKxR
10-23-2010, 04:29 PM
I really wish I could play against the IG mech just to see how unpleasant it is. I kind of think a farsight list could do well against it if everything went right. Have his full bodyguard with melta and target lock deep strike behind enemy lines. Just have as many battle suits as possible. But then again I've never seen the spam fest in action so what do I know.

Mr.Pickelz
10-23-2010, 04:55 PM
For daemons(mono-khorne) i hate anything shooty, or that has lots of mobility, because i can never control
the charge range (orks in trukks/battlewagons or SM's in rhino's/landraiders)

for space wolves, more SW's or ig mech-lists, tervigons (because if you try to assault them you gota' fight
through the free waves of spawns)

For Grey knights, horde armys (orks/nid's) new dark eldar/lance spam (cause it comes down to who goes first,
and now they have it on 4+) ...oh and daemons <-- Does that really need an explanation? ;)

for Orks, Everyone....WAAAAAGGGGHHHH!!!! But in all seriousness...IG mech will devistate mainly cause of
the plasma cannon-Leman russ and the manticore that everyone, who has ig, cept me, takes at least
1-2 at 1500+

for IG, mech ig, DE DL Spam, Drop pod lists (BA's DOA ability)

scadugenga
10-23-2010, 06:18 PM
I mostly play eldar, and I can say the armies I have the most trouble with are horde ork.

I've recently branched out into C:SM and an infantry based IG army. Haven't quite got them sorted out yet to discover "who I hate" to see.

Grailkeeper
10-23-2010, 06:40 PM
Any army list I've played against repeatedly- it gets dully.

mopre generallyu eldar- not because of the army itself, more I find eldar players tend to quibble rules and are niggly. I'm by no means a competitive out to win player but having to argue dice rolls etc sucks the fun out of a game.

lobster-overlord
10-23-2010, 06:44 PM
mopre generallyu eldar- not because of the army itself, more I find eldar players tend to quibble rules and are niggly. I'm by no means a competitive out to win player but having to argue dice rolls etc sucks the fun out of a game.

Cause Eldar suck and they need to be nitpicky to pull a win out some how (I kid, I kid...)

I hate seeing any army that only wears laser reflective armor or factory primer gray armor (unpainted). I'll generally face anyone happily as long as they're putting effort into how it looks over time.

John M>

JxKxR
10-23-2010, 06:49 PM
Any army list I've played against repeatedly- it gets dully.

Well eldar do seem like know it alls so it would fit that the player thinks they know it all to. Also what the f is niggly?

murrburger
10-23-2010, 07:37 PM
Look it up. It's not a word someone should be offended by.

The army I hate to fight is Daemons. They're so dependent on luck that it all just really boils down to good dice rolls.

Also, mech IG.

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
10-23-2010, 07:59 PM
Hmm for me, the army i hate most to play against would probably be either SM's or Nidz.

Now with Nidz some some take heavy flamers..lots of them, well my answer to that do you really want to get that close to a CC army, because if you dont kill them all, your take-away food for them.

Space Marines, the lack of able to match heavy weapons, fighting AV 14 armour and trying to find someway to combat all thes new "look at me, im GW's new uber SC" is a real pain in the rear. When you use an army that rocks at medium to close range, is really hard to take out LR's, Termies, and SC's.
Though i have to say i actually do reasonable well against most, as i know how they play, can usually out think them, and most SM's players have never played against a SoB army. Well not around where i live that is.

Koppenflak
10-23-2010, 08:33 PM
Well, more out of a lack of funds and a change in financial priorities recently, my only army is IG... but in many different forms (I have the much-vaunted Mech list, the infantry spam, the tank horde, the artillery parking lot, the air-mobile drop troops, the close combat flavour... some 17,000 points to pick and choose from all up...)

This said, there is really only one army out there that consistently bothers me no matter what variant Im playing with: Nids. Orks'd be a close second, but they fall apart if you manage to kill their transports.

But with nids... its just a grind. Either I kill them or they kill me. There is no middle ground where they are concerned. No other army in my local group is as uncompromising.

razcalking
10-23-2010, 10:06 PM
Mech Guard. I know I'm in for a boring game where I'm the only one actually doing anything in the Movement or Assault phases.

DarkLink
10-23-2010, 11:45 PM
Mech Guard. I know I'm in for a boring game where I'm the only one actually doing anything in the Movement or Assault phases.

Yeah... All Mech Guard players really have to do is roll dice and hope the right numbers show up.

eldargal
10-24-2010, 02:52 AM
Necrons, I think the army is ugly and I hate looking at them, not particularly difficult to play though. Apart from that, I'll go with Mech IG because those games can be very boring.

Cyberscape7
10-24-2010, 03:07 AM
My main army as it should be known is the beloved eldar of Kai Fe'. Just redid the colour scheme and it is one of my best ones so far.
and my nemesis; Dark Eldar. They were evil in 3rd ed. and now with their new dex I'm going to have to find an amazing strategy to combat them.

MC Tic Tac
10-24-2010, 05:02 AM
The unpainted horde of greyness who's only highlight is where the glue has spilled over........

DrLove42
10-24-2010, 06:45 AM
In reference to the piece on BoLs front page t'other day, my most hated is any space marine army playing as a codex they're not painted as. Ultramarines should not be able to use the Blood Angels rules, and CSM should not be using wolves rules. You've painted your army to match somehting, don't chop and change! I couldn't walk into a gaming club and deploy my Tau Angels, or Eldar Wolves...couldn't even use my Eldar as DE really!

Other than that, IG mech forces bore me, Ork/Nids hordes cause me problems.

Herald of Nurgle
10-24-2010, 08:08 AM
1. Lets see... Space Wolves. SW SW SPACE WOLVES.
I dislike being outnumbered, outpsyked, and outkilled in combat.

2. Imperial Guard.
I'm blessed with a local set of gamers who haven't converted to Mech yet, but Guard still pisses me off.

3. Tyranids.
Horde factor x5.

Legoklods
10-24-2010, 08:12 AM
Hate damn Bloody Angles!

I play Space Wolves and Orks none of them can overcome the 3 baal-preds the endless feel no pain, and ofcause the furioso dreds with blood talons:mad:

DarkLink
10-24-2010, 11:37 AM
In reference to the piece on BoLs front page t'other day, my most hated is any space marine army playing as a codex they're not painted as. Ultramarines should not be able to use the Blood Angels rules, and CSM should not be using wolves rules. You've painted your army to match somehting, don't chop and change!

I don't see what the problem is, so long as they can stay WYSIWYG when they switch between chapters.

Doing this is just a good investment. It's like owning 5 armies in one. Do you expect your opponent to buy 5 copies of his army, just so he can have the appropriate paint scheme? That's more than a little unreasonable to me.

I couldn't walk into a gaming club and deploy my Tau Angels, or Eldar Wolves...couldn't even use my Eldar as DE really!

Yeah, because none of that is even remotely WYSIWYG. Switching between chapters isn't hard to keep WYSIWYG and still be cheap.

Mycroft Holmes
10-24-2010, 01:18 PM
I have SM, Orks and IG.

I sometimes dislike even playing my own IG because it's so ridiculous. I rarely see my opponents have a good time fighting IG; it's no damn fun to have your army completely shot to ribbons by an army that waits for turn 3 to start moving and then proceeds to tank shock units off their objectives.

Cruddace has screwed two codex: IG and Nids.

Mycroft

PS. I don't run a 'Mech Guard/Leafblower" list, but is probably close enough. 3 Chimera, Hellhound, 2 S. Sentinels, 2 Leman Russ, Manticore and a Vendetta.

gcsmith
10-24-2010, 01:35 PM
tbh his screw with nids never made them op like guard

DrBored
10-24-2010, 03:50 PM
I run Chaos Marines, and I hate to face Terminator-troop Space Wolves or Bike-troop SM Khan lists. Anything with mass amounts of high-toughness troops (except, ironically, Plague Marines) I have trouble against, and it's not very fun to play since I tend to get steamrolled.

So yeah, hate to play Space Marines, essentially. Except Blood Angels. I have a really easy time dispatching those, or maybe the players at my flgs just aren't that good...

Duke Rich
10-24-2010, 05:58 PM
For me I just hate any army that sits there doing nothing but shoot (which is what my friends does with his Dark Angels, lots).

However, the other day I had the chance to play a Guard army of mostly Chimera's (or as I call them for fun, 'Shim-a-ra's), it was a win in the end but was 1 model away from phasing me out, luckily. My opponent drew the short straw though, Dawn of War and Annihilation, however, I didn't get near enough Glancing hits, and the one's I did get were "Can't move or shoot".

In the rare cases like that, I don't mind facing a sit back and shoot army, as I was pretty much in their face to begin with, and they were pretty closed in.

I mostly play either Necrons or Space wolves, loving my 'Crons atm because my Monolith just kicks ***, even when it got blown up by a Lascannon (got it right this time, was calling it a Lasgun before and got some VERY odd looks), it took out a couple units of Guardsmen, so probably 4 overall (5 if you include the guys who got out of it).

DarkLink
10-24-2010, 06:29 PM
Personally, I hate any and all Necron armies. All they really do is sit and shoot at you (or maybe fly around a little and shoot at you). In the meantime, they ignore all your incoming shooting thanks to WBB shenanigans.

Now, obviously, this isn't to say that Necrons are that strong. The general playstyle is boring, though.

Mal
10-24-2010, 06:49 PM
Personally the dullest thing about necrons is painting that much bare metal... its easy to do, but it is very very boring...

There are quite a few ways 'cron players can mix up their lists to keep things interesting, but they are severly limited by the phase out, and what is and what isn't classed as a necron.

krispy
10-27-2010, 06:10 AM
The unpainted horde of greyness who's only highlight is where the glue has spilled over........

qft

i know its only a game but its also a much more fun experience when both sides have a (uniform) paint scheme and look more cohesive, even if this means basic colors and no fancy details eyes etc its better than a grey horde.

Thorsson
10-28-2010, 12:33 PM
I have my hands on everything...
Spess Wolves, Orks, IG, Tau.

I normally play my Wolves. Nemesis is a Tyranids list with un ending waves of gaunts :mad:.
I win in Annihilation missions but always lose in Capture & Control and Seize Objective, I can only hold the masses of scoring units off for so long until I get overwhelmed.

Xas
10-28-2010, 12:53 PM
Necrons.

Because it is boring playing against them and they have zero chance if you know what you are doing.

They are hard to kill with WWB and res orbs. At same time they usually do allmost zero damage and all the monolith does is block a 6" square of space.

Allways the same kinda thing: get into melee, kill a few and if you dont sweep them they get ported out for allmost zero total damage, scratch you with their puy guns and wait to be asoulted again. rinse and repait till the game ends one way or another.

Mal
10-28-2010, 02:54 PM
'Crons are very easy to beat if your even slightly mobile, simply kill off the lords early (no res orb makes a phase out sooo much easier), then just sweep through the cron warrior units, you can wipe them out in combat very easily and a sweeping advance is so easy to acheive its a joke with their low I. Then any of the unit that died and try to make their WBB are stuffed cause they have no mates within 6" at the start of their turn...

All it takes to beat crons is mobality and knowledge of how their army works.

rle68
10-29-2010, 02:03 AM
with my space wolves no army as of yet has managed to cause me any real frustration once i got the list right
orks nids eldar and sm's usually die quite easily DE might be a hassle with dl spam

i dont fear blood angels until they release the stormraven gunship once thats out it will be a different story, i still wont fear them but it will be alot more difficult

Firebird
10-29-2010, 03:12 AM
I have atm Guard, so many points i can play it anyway that ii can think of.
And i have eldar, floot sloggers.
Also building marines.

I think the one army i HATE is Demons. i don't think they should have ever been made i don't like there rules and how they play. i don't like playing with them or against them.
Other then that i kinda hate mech tau, but i can deal with it.

Mal
10-29-2010, 03:50 AM
with my space wolves no army as of yet has managed to cause me any real frustration once i got the list right
orks nids eldar and sm's usually die quite easily DE might be a hassle with dl spam

i dont fear blood angels until they release the stormraven gunship once thats out it will be a different story, i still wont fear them but it will be alot more difficult

DL spam simply won't cut it against the average competative SW list... most have an average of 20 ML fangs, these are infantry so a DL will at best kill 1... discounting cover and misses... however DL's usually are mounted on vehicles... AV10/11 vehicles that missiles just love to destroy....

While you can mount your DL's on infantry, your just nailing your foot to the spot so you can fire a single gun... very bad from a tactical standpoint for the nimble DE, espically with the effectiveness of the splinter cannon.

rle68
10-29-2010, 07:30 AM
DL spam simply won't cut it against the average competative SW list... most have an average of 20 ML fangs, these are infantry so a DL will at best kill 1... discounting cover and misses... however DL's usually are mounted on vehicles... AV10/11 vehicles that missiles just love to destroy....

While you can mount your DL's on infantry, your just nailing your foot to the spot so you can fire a single gun... very bad from a tactical standpoint for the nimble DE, espically with the effectiveness of the splinter cannon.

I am well aware of DE and their tactics been playing them for years. and no i dont run the 12 ml sw lf units too expensive just having to deal with 10-12 dl a game is a pain not to mention blasters too

bulley
11-03-2010, 08:27 AM
As a BA player - don't fancy facing up vs mech SW (more spammy lists though).

With the GK's - pretty much everything lol, but I enjoy it.

Caldera02
11-03-2010, 08:15 PM
I play Nids and CSM's. Soon as they arrive, DE!

I despise playing against any variation of mech IG. I don't enjoy a match up of, "hey let me just pick up my models."

When I reached the final round of Wargames Con high up on the tables, I was dreading to run into Mech IG. As I had avoided it the whole tournament. When a Deamons player showed up I was relieved. I said to him, "Hey I get to play this game!" We both laughed.