PDA

View Full Version : legendary last stands

Alien
08-23-2009, 09:12 AM
Let's here about your best last stand moments where one figure or unit, defying all odds against just won't say die.
For me this was not one of mine but my buddies brood lord, it was nids vs orks, the details are a bit fuzzy because it was just so unbelievable. The lord and his retinue of genestealers had just ripped through my squad of 8 nobz. In a fit of rage instead of shooting them to bits with my lootas, I turned loose 2 full squads of boyz in their direction. The stealers went down in the first assault but the brood lord pummeled the rest of the boyz, so when the tide of 30 more had hit him, I started to laugh........who wouldn't after all, no one can take 120 cc hits and keep tickin, right?
well round after round he made miraculous saves shrugging off all hits, and there were well over 50% beating on him, and every round due to the no fall back, I lost more and more boyz, when all was said and done, there was one boy and the broodlord standing, with but one wound left on him......well you all know at this point, the level of hysteria has risen to it's pinnacle and both of us were howling in laughter, in the end......my boy was felled and I shot his lord to pieces with my lootas.
In total I think we counted over 100 saves being made by the lord, as he wade through the sticky mess of blood and green skins, stalking my last boy and slaughtering him with that evil smile, and as he arched his back and howled in victory........DAAAAKAA, then all was silent.

one of the best moments in my gaming days, I got my *** handed to me but it was the best game ever.

Vepr
08-23-2009, 10:49 AM
Not as amazing but against orks I had a basic sniper fex left vs 3 buggies with rockets, a squad of burnas, and a full squad of boys. It was at range so I took out the buggies first, then the boys, and then the burnas who had to slog all the way from the corner of the board. It did help that he was rolling terribly with runs of 1 and rockets hitting nothing etc and that I could not seem to miss. He was not amused.

Valdore
08-23-2009, 12:11 PM
Well, again, not as amazing as yours Alien, however, one of my commissars (back in 4th ed guard) was accompanying my squad of ogryns, I forget how many there were, but is was 7 I think. They were on the frontlines in a game of apocalypse, and before long were fighting tooth and nail against a combined assault from Eldar Harlequins (+character of some sort) and Chaos marines. Before they knew what hit them, the ogryns were felled to a man by the dancing blades of the harlequins, the Commissar however stood his ground, fearing no xenos blade, when it came to the Chaos turn to attack, the marines were left bewildered, with no-one close enough to the lone survivor of the Eldar onslaught to strike him. The Commissar kept his distance, readying his ancient powerfist to strike at the foul xenos, he struck one down valiantly but soon wondered whether it might be better to regroup with his other forces, the thought was dismissed out of hand as his dice came up snake eyes on a -15 penalty leadership check! He died the following turn, but still :p

BlacknightIII
08-23-2009, 02:59 PM
During an apocolypse game my partner had five ss/th black templar terminators hold there ground against 64 hormagaunts and a full squads of gaunts with without number. By turn three we were caling in orbital bombbardment on top of the guants but luck wasnt on our side and they kept drifting, maybe killing 3 to 5 gaunts. I would have helped him but i was stuck holding back all the warriors and fexes trying to keep them from taking the flank. By turn five the now lone terminator got some backup and we were able to fight off the gaunts and hold the objective.

Btw there were so many guants on the table we ordered a pizza and had it delivered before they were able to finish moving.

Xas
08-23-2009, 03:49 PM
long, long ago (3rd edition) we were playing a game of a kind that would far later be know as apocalypse.

it was nids vs imperium and I was playing a small grey knight group. the nids basically had without number on every modell and all we had to do was hold out for so many turns as possible.

the legendary last stand was prolly to the grandmaster who stood against 3 carnifex and 1 hive tyrant alla t once and did not step back nor die, hacking them down two monsters a turn with his force weapon, passing an ungodly amounth of 4+ save with his holy neklace.

but it wasnt just the grandmaster that acted like a true hero in that game but allmost every modell. the dreadnought (lascannon, dccw, heavy flamer) got it's lascannon blown off and immobilized on turn one but from then on incinerated a metric crapton of gaunts which all liked to fell short their assoult move just to get burned to ashes...

the terminator retinue was amazing as well, starting at 5 man + grandmaster (see above) they killed at least 10 monsters (not counting the GM's) and passed at least as much 5+ saves against their monstrous creature close combat attacks.

in the end we got a glorious win because we didnt only hold out enough turns but literally the whole day :D

DevilUknow
08-23-2009, 04:47 PM
I had a force commander w/ artificer armour, admant mantle (basically gave him eternal warrior, this is back in 4th) and a power fist assault the back end of an ork mob that was eating one of my devastator squads.

Because he was in back, and an IC, he could only be attacked by models close to him, so the mob's dreaded can opener was on the far side.

for 3 rounds of assault he picked the mob apart 2-3 boys at a time until they finally broke. He beat them on a sweeping advance and wiped them out.

He was then assaulted by a fresh squad of boys and lasted 2 more rounds of assault (power klaw was front and center this time) and took half a dozen more boys with him before dropping.

Old_Paladin
08-23-2009, 06:41 PM
It was back in early 3rd edition.
I was playing a small group of Marines and my friend was playing some of his Eldar.
It was late in the game, and we were playing for table quarters. He had one firmly secure and I had only a handful of guys left alive, with a Wraithlord coming right at me.
My only unit was led by a Chaplain, whom I had leave the group and stand just over the line; hoping to keep the 'lord on his half and pull off a tie.
My friend thought he could take out the Chaplain in one charge and then finish off my only unit (which even I felt was pretty likely).

The Chaplain was able to hold up for two rounds of combat, just long enough for the game to end; even though he lost his life. I pulled off the tie, all thanks to that Martyr and a lot of 4+ saves.

Ferro
08-23-2009, 07:16 PM
This is more funny than epic, but I love rootin for the little guy.

The spineguant who wouldn't quit:

So a Summoned Greater Deamon charged my unit of 10 WoN spineguants (don't ask why, it's just all he could reach). As he had moved through terrain to get to me, I attacked first. Needing 5's to hit and 6's to wound, one of the little guys managed to put a wound on the beast and it failed it's save! Of course, it then killed four outright, and four more fell to No Retreat!, leaving two little guants left. Next two phases he killed only one, and I managed to wound him again each time, though he made those two saves.

Ten spineguants tying up a SGD for three assault phases? AND and getting a wound through each phase? I'm so proud of the little guys. :)

Then they came back on the board and secured my backfield objective. Husah!

Alien
08-23-2009, 10:20 PM
This is more funny than epic, but I love rootin for the little guy.

The spineguant who wouldn't quit:

So a Summoned Greater Deamon charged my unit of 10 WoN spineguants (don't ask why, it's just all he could reach). As he had moved through terrain to get to me, I attacked first. Needing 5's to hit and 6's to wound, one of the little guys managed to put a wound on the beast and it failed it's save! Of course, it then killed four outright, and four more fell to No Retreat!, leaving two little guants left. Next two phases he killed only one, and I managed to wound him again each time, though he made those two saves.

Ten spineguants tying up a SGD for three assault phases? AND and getting a wound through each phase? I'm so proud of the little guys. :)

Then they came back on the board and secured my backfield objective. Husah!

I love it :)

Schnitzel
08-24-2009, 12:50 AM
On my last game I played, (kinda, got recalled by work and my friend finsihed for me) I had a 'counts as' Abadon model on the table. I was playing against my friends Necrons in a Planetaclypse match in which he was the defender. Abadan charges straight up the center, avoiding fire from five different Monoliths by endend each turn in assault. He single handedly wipes out 4 different units of 'Crons before going head on with the Nightbringer. Knocks off all but two of Nightbringers wounds before finally falling. Beautiful.

That was also a very lame game btw. My friend talked me into house ruling away 'phase out', letting him deffend and allowing Apoc rules. What I got to face was one objective with Nightbringer and 5 monoliths guarding it and a ton of other 'Cron goodies in reserve.
To deal with Nightbringer I took a vortex grenade... my replacement forgot he had one and failed to use it on the bugger. :/

McPherson
08-24-2009, 01:26 PM
Greatest last Stand I can think of is the epic tale of Bob the Blood Angels Tac Marine with M/L. Back in the third edition days I was tasked with a hold the line mission against a Genestealer heavy horde while civilians were evacuated from a launch pad behind my lines.

Bob and his Tac Squad were the right flank, up front waiting to strike down the stealers. After 2 turns of the staelers advancing through cover and getting shot at some (we were playing the game lengthwise) they ended up 2" short of assault range - so the Tac Squad did what BA's did back then - charged forwards (yay for black rage tests) Assaulting the squad of stealers.

It was a bloody fight, marines dropping left and right to rending until all that stood was Bob and his ML vs 8 remaining stealers... Next round of combat he survives a bunch of attacks (no rending luckily) and kills a stealer, which then caused the squad to break. Bob stood victorious, but his duty was not over, two more squads of stealers realising the right flank front line was shattered and easier to break through than the heavily defended left and center charged towards the right - Bob stood his ground firing a frag shot into a clustered group of stealers, killing 6 and causing another command check, another squad breaks, 1 squad of stealers charges upon poor unfortunate Bob, and manages to fail every attack roll (some hit i'm sure but no wounds) Driven forward by his glorious rage he cracks open another stealers skull winning combat, and lo and behold the stealers break and get run down by Bob.

Suffice to say the Nid player then decided to send a Hive Tyrant over to that flank and make Bob a greasy stain on the walls of a nearby ruin, however Bob had done his duty and held the flank long enough for reserves to come up and take over.

Failing that the Spiritual successor to Bob was a Imperial Fist Beakie Tac Marine w/bolter who watched his squad get charged by the nightbringer and knowing he was powerless to hurt the dark god of the necrons held his ground for 2 turns (again by the luck of the bringer flubbing all his attack rolls) until Lysander and his assault terminators could arrive to give the Nightbringer a taste of hammertime. The Tac marine then was the only model (except for Lysander) that survived the Nightbringers explosion. Said marine has now been promoted to veteran sargent.

Jiggs
08-25-2009, 07:59 PM
I once was playing against my friends space marines with my orks. I sent 30 ork boys on turn 3 against a single chaplain on a bike after that assault he didn't even lose one wound! I was so frustrated that I couldn't wound him I piled in an ork warboss on turn 4 and even after that I still couldn't wound "I was rolling terribly". So by the end of the game He was down to one wound but he did survive the whole game and I had a warboss and a squad of boys locked in combat doing almost nothing for half the game . My friend one in the end because of that chaplain.