PDA

View Full Version : DE wave 1.5 up for pre-order

isotope99
10-19-2010, 12:01 PM
The next bunch of models are up on the GW site:

All previewed, no new surprises

Ravager (£30) quite a bit more expensive than the raider but appears to come with both raider frames based on the sprue pictures on the site so should result in lots of spare bits.

Hellions (£15 for 5) not a massive variety based on the sprue pictures but so much cheaper and better looking than the old ones. (I might upgrade some more of my ork stormboys to be ork surferboyz)

Mandrakes (£18 for 5 w/ 3 different metal model designs) cool looking models, shame their rules aren't so inspiring

Urien Rakarth (£8) This guy is a steal for what you get compared to other metal characters and is going to be used as a regular haemonculus in my army. I can see this guy appearing on plenty of chaos armies.

Limited edition webway portal (£6) totally not essential but looks pretty good. Might pick one up just in case I find a use for it in a future conversion.

There you have it, all the dark eldar models we can expect for the time being. Not many character options yet but all three main choices are represented if you use the two specials as regular succubus and haemonculus.

I'll be getting most of these kits eventually except maybe the mandrakes because I'm converting some female versions for my army. Although even these will probably find their way into my collection as wrack conversions.

I'm probably going to get a couple of ravagers to use as raiders just for the extra sprues.

Darkriver
10-19-2010, 01:25 PM
Is it me or do the webway portals seem very similar to the vortex grenades? Guessing they didn't sell so well so with a little bit of repainting............presto chango! lol.

Mal
10-19-2010, 01:34 PM
Heheh yeah, the WWP dome is something of a lotdown, although the commoragh you can see in it is pretty cool.

Im happy about the price of the hellions, I was honestly expecting them to be a bit higher... and I need 15 of them :p

*Edit*

Your link seems to have broked ;)

Heres a new one:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat440160a&rootCatGameStyle=wh40k

Mr.Pickelz
10-19-2010, 01:54 PM
they also updated the DE chick slaves, with a painted pic instead of their metal models :D

isotope99
10-19-2010, 02:05 PM
they also updated the DE chick slaves, with a painted pic instead of their metal models :D

Ouch :eek:

New to Monday nights, "When cosmetic surgery goes wrong"

darthrex354
10-19-2010, 03:08 PM
aagh picasso goes to comoraggh

Brass Scorpion
10-19-2010, 07:22 PM
Is it me or do the webway portals seem very similar to the vortex grenades? Guessing they didn't sell so well so with a little bit of repainting............presto chango! lol. On the contrary, Vortex Grenade templates sold out so fast it would make Tzeentch have trouble coping with the sudden change and the first week after they sold out they fetched a pretty penny on eBay. However, the Portal is clearly the same type of metal dome with a different paint job.

Mr.Pickelz
10-19-2010, 09:50 PM
does that template block LOS? if so how high is it? it's been a VERY long time since i've seen someone pop that kind of template out :P

Mal
10-20-2010, 01:39 AM
I don;t know if they block LOS but the vortex template is 1.5" tall.

DrLove42
10-20-2010, 03:37 AM
Ouch :eek:

New to Monday nights, "When cosmetic surgery goes wrong"

Yeeeesh. You have a choice between ugly and butch. The DE need to take better prisoners!

Further proof old GW really couldn't sculpt women....

BuFFo
10-20-2010, 06:24 AM
does that template block LOS? if so how high is it? it's been a VERY long time since i've seen someone pop that kind of template out :P

Everything blocks line of sight in 5th edition, except Objective Markers.

fuzzbuket
10-20-2010, 09:58 AM
gaaah those slaves the SOB slave is algright but the other one..... WTF thong....and a pose that looks like a cross of britiny speares rhiana in rude boy and a swollen zombie 0_o i knew the dE were twisted but...

Mal
10-20-2010, 11:08 AM
I think thats what they look like after the haemonculus have had their 'turn'.

DrBored
10-20-2010, 02:20 PM
Wow, seeing those prisoners painted... really makes me regret putting them on my Chaos Land Raider. Maybe I'll paint them up to look like statues instead of actual slaves...

But anyway. Any news on Wave 2? Surely there's gotta be some chatter out there for when Wracks, Grotesques, other SC's, the Venom, Talos, Cronos, Voidraven Bomber, Ravenwing Fighter, Beastmasters and beasts, and other HQ options (Archon Retinue?) come out, right?

Or are we going to see GW pull a few Tervigons? (since, let's face it, all those models I just listed could easily make up 2 separate waves.. unless the Voidraven and Ravenwing were condensed into one kit, and the Talos and Cronos could easily be condensed into one kit... but for a lot of the new army builds out there, we kind of need the Cronos, Venom, and Wracks at the very least!)

Any news on when Wave 2 is going to be? January? March? December of 2012?

Mal
10-20-2010, 02:36 PM
Nothing is due for january (the development team didn't like that the =][= stuff got leaked, so they put the release date back and nothing else has been moved up to fill the january slot).

Wave 2.0 should be released sometime in the first half of next year, but we have no way of getting a more accurate date until closer to the time.

DrBored
10-20-2010, 02:42 PM
Nothing is due for january (the development team didn't like that the =][= stuff got leaked, so they put the release date back and nothing else has been moved up to fill the january slot).

Wave 2.0 should be released sometime in the first half of next year, but we have no way of getting a more accurate date until closer to the time.

Dang.

Well, there's Skaven coming in January, so that's probably what got bumped up to fill that slot. As long as we don't have to wait as long as Tyranid players to get a Tervigon model that doesn't exist.

Mal
10-20-2010, 03:58 PM
No, they were already due... its specifically the 40k slot that sits empty.

Brass Scorpion
10-20-2010, 08:48 PM
The Webway Portal template sold out about as fast as the Vortex Grenade template version. It sold out in 12 hours after it was put up for Advance Order and is no longer available. If you didn't web order it go to your store as soon as it opens on release day and hope for a small splash allocation there. Get there early or miss out again.

Farseer Uthiliesh
10-21-2010, 01:12 AM

The thing is, GW is calling the Nov 20th release wave 2. I do hope there are more Dark Eldar on the way, as I want a new Haemonculus and Talos.

Mal
10-21-2010, 02:27 AM
Nah I was speaking to one of my friends (small game store owner), hes the one who told me the second main wave will be released early next year, according to the main GW supplier.

Farseer Uthiliesh
10-21-2010, 02:58 AM
Nah I was speaking to one of my friends (small game store owner), hes the one who told me the second main wave will be released early next year, according to the main GW supplier.

Thankyou, Mal.

Brass Scorpion
10-21-2010, 11:31 AM
New Webway Portal news from GW on today's What's New Today at this link (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/blogPost.jsp?aId=13600038a). Unfortunately, there's nothing about allocating more to the North American web store.

STOP PRESS: The Dark Eldar Webway Portal has now sold out on the web in the US (it's only been on sale for 48hours!). If you're in Europe or Australia I'd suggest ordering one now before it's too late for you too.

Drew da Destroya
10-21-2010, 05:28 PM
But anyway. Any news on Wave 2? Surely there's gotta be some chatter out there for when Wracks, Grotesques, other SC's, the Venom, Talos, Cronos, Voidraven Bomber, Ravenwing Fighter, Beastmasters and beasts, and other HQ options (Archon Retinue?) come out, right?

Venom kit already exists... it's the Vyper (or the top turret of the Fire Prism), plus some extra Raider/Ravager bitz and a splinter cannon or two from your Warriors. Done and done.

The grotesques were released earlier this year... GW just mislabeled them Minotaurs. The models are pretty grotesque looking!

Wracks could be a kitbash unit...

Pretty sure the Talos and Cronos will be one plastic kit... that'd be pretty sweet. Hopefully the same with the two flyers... although they could very well just not release models for those.

Beastmaster beasts I'd like to see, but from what I've seen of their stats, you may as well use a combination of the Tyranid and Daemon ranges. Should do you just fine. Add a Hellion for the Beastmaster, and you're good.

DrBored
10-21-2010, 06:30 PM
Venom kit already exists... it's the Vyper (or the top turret of the Fire Prism), plus some extra Raider/Ravager bitz and a splinter cannon or two from your Warriors. Done and done.

The grotesques were released earlier this year... GW just mislabeled them Minotaurs. The models are pretty grotesque looking!

Wracks could be a kitbash unit...

Pretty sure the Talos and Cronos will be one plastic kit... that'd be pretty sweet. Hopefully the same with the two flyers... although they could very well just not release models for those.

Beastmaster beasts I'd like to see, but from what I've seen of their stats, you may as well use a combination of the Tyranid and Daemon ranges. Should do you just fine. Add a Hellion for the Beastmaster, and you're good.

That's all well and good, but whenever possible I like to use original GW kits for things as big as Venoms and Talos/Cronos, as well as the flyers. I can understand the Grotesques and Wracks being kitbashed and I've already seen some interesting takes on them, but I've also seen the art in the DE book and I really like the way they look in the artwork, so I'd love to get my hands on some actual models that didn't require bitsmashing.

In the end, I'm most worried about the Archon Retinue and Beastmaster Beasts. I'm praying they get actual kits, even if they're metal, because the Sslyth really sound awesome, and I'd hate to have to kitbash that because I know I wouldn't do it justice.

And the Venom is something else entirely. I've heard a lot of people talking about kitbashing the Vyper and all that, but I have a feeling the Venom itself is supposed to look very different from that, and using an Eldar Vyper would really stand out from the sharp, convex look of the Dark Eldar vehicles and armor. It'd stand out like a sore thumb that's been dipped in liquid fire and put in the spotlight.

Mal
10-22-2010, 01:31 AM
Ultimately I can convert/sculpt pretty much anything I want for my army... but I don't want to do this as the new GW plastics always look better (im good, but im not that good).

Then of course you have people who cannot do conversions or sculpting... what are they to do? what about people who can't afford to buy 3-4 kits to make as single squad?

It is for these reasons that GW should do a kit for such essential units...

DrLove42
10-22-2010, 02:00 AM
And the Venom is something else entirely. I've heard a lot of people talking about kitbashing the Vyper and all that, but I have a feeling the Venom itself is supposed to look very different from that, and using an Eldar Vyper would really stand out from the sharp, convex look of the Dark Eldar vehicles and armor. It'd stand out like a sore thumb that's been dipped in liquid fire and put in the spotlight.

The picture in codex is JUST a Vyper with a spiky platform on the back with a few guys hanging off. The fluff for it even talks about some vehicle blueprints being common across both types of eldar. It IS a Vyper....just DEified

isotope99
10-22-2010, 02:22 AM
A vyper plus spare bits from the new ravager (of which there will be lots as it looks like it comes with the second raider frame) should do just fine and not be too hard to make or ridiculously expensive (assuming you actually want a ravager).

The similarity to the eldar Vyper in the codex picture points to no new model for this entry.

eldargal
10-25-2010, 09:41 PM
Well, Jes Goodwin has apparently confirmed that the Venom is getting a kit at some point in the future. Interview with him in the November White Dwarf.

A vyper plus spare bits from the new ravager (of which there will be lots as it looks like it comes with the second raider frame) should do just fine and not be too hard to make or ridiculously expensive (assuming you actually want a ravager).

The similarity to the eldar Vyper in the codex picture points to no new model for this entry.

DrBored
10-25-2010, 10:49 PM
Well, Jes Goodwin has apparently confirmed that the Venom is getting a kit at some point in the future. Interview with him in the November White Dwarf.

Will be looking forward to reading that!

I'll take another look at those pictures in the Codex when I get a chance. it still feels like heresy using an Eldar Vyper to make a very Dark Eldar vehicle, especially since most of the Dark Eldar stuff really does look leagues different from any Eldar stuff. Yeah, some vehicles share similar frames (jetbikes, for example) but the whole theme and style is a big step apart.

Also I'm really bad at kitbashing vehicles...

eldargal
11-04-2010, 08:11 AM
So, apparently Urien Rakarth, the Hellions, Mandrakes and Ravager are not wave 1.5, its just part of the initial release, and wave 1.5 is coming sometime next year with wave 2 who knwos when.