PDA

View Full Version : DE Arcane Wargear

Ahrimaneus
10-19-2010, 09:41 AM
So I was perusing through the codex at my FLGS (Pandemonium) and was looking at some of the pretty cool Arcane Wargear available to haemonculi. A lot of it is pretty out there rules wise and not the most reliable on the best of days, but I was wondering what people's thoughts were on the different items? I'll happily include the other haemonculi-related wargear even if it's not specified as arcane as well. Some of the more mind-fornicating entries i found to throw your opponents off include:

Crucible of Malediction: 3d6" Ld check bubble for psykers or removed from play

Archangel of Pain: 3d6" Ld check bubble for anyone or else WS1 I1 for the following turn

Flesh Gauntlet: Poisoned CC wep (4+) that causes instant death

Hexrifle: Assault 1 Sniper Rifle, AP4, 36", models suffering an unsaved wound by the rifle take a Wounds test. If failed, remove from play with no saves of any kind allowed. (Hello Daemon Princes and Greater Daemons. You have Eternal Warrior? You still dead)

Talk about really getting inside your opponents head with a relatively cheap piece of wargear. I believe the most expensive of the bunch tops out around 20 points, maybe 25. So they're all pretty reasonable. I could easily see myself spreading some cheap Haemonculi/wracks around with hexrifles just to try to get inside people's heads. And they're Assault 1!!!

Post other ones you think are great and comment on how you might use some in your army!

Dr. Doctor
10-19-2010, 04:44 PM
Lady Malys
Haemonculus, Crucible of Malediction, Flesh Gauntlet
5x Incubi
Raider with Torment Grenade Launcher

Would use as a psyker buster unit. get the raider into position, fire the Torment Grenades to reduce the target's Ld and then trigger the Crucible to take the psyker out. If that doesn't work you can then hop out of the raider and take out the target with out fear of psychic powers.

This could work well against Hive Tyrants, Eldrad, or Rune Priests with Jaws of The World Wolf.

Haemonculus- Archangel of Pain, Flesh Gauntlet
10x Wytch Squad

Get into combat, switch on the Archangel and start beating face

Haemonculus, Archangel of Pain, Flesh Gauntlet
2x Chronos Parasite Engines

The Pain Train, trigger the archangel, send in the Chronos units and start cranking out the pain tokens

BuFFo
10-19-2010, 11:50 PM

Funny, as this is a nerfed version of the Malediction in the current DE codex... ;)

I really like the Hexrifles.... They are my new favorite toy.

Cyberscape7
10-21-2010, 03:01 AM
Is the crucible a Ld Test or a Psychic test?

RIGHT-Titan
10-21-2010, 05:38 AM
Is the crucible a Ld Test or a Psychic test?

Leadership Test. Which is too bad because a lot of psychers are LD 9 or 10, and failing one of those is not exactly common. No saves, and it can hit a big range, but it could also hit 3" :P

Too unpredictable for my tastes.

Scissorhand is still cool. 3+ Poison with an extra CC attack. Take a small unit of Grots with an Aberration with a Scissorhand. Add a Haemi in and the unit gets FNP and Furious Charge from the start of the game. Our good friend the Aberration gets 7 Attacks on the charge hitting on 4s, wounding on 3s with rerolls.

Liquifier guns and Hexrifles are solid too.

DrLove42
10-21-2010, 05:50 AM
Yeah Crucibles too weak for me. Nearly every phyker in the game is LD10. And with a random area of effect, and it being only 1 use means you could theoretically you only get 1 3" area of the guy using it....hardly scary.

Hex rifles are cool, but not sure how effective it'll be against big things....sure you wound and hit easy enough, but big things have multiple wounds...yes the ability to insta-kill is wonderful, but MC's can have 4-5 wounds giving you a low chance to kill. Against gargantuan reatures its even worse cos they have more wounds and are only wounded on a 6 from a sniper....

Cyberscape7
10-21-2010, 11:28 AM
Well that at least means my nids synapse are safe. Yay for Fearlessness:)

DrLove42
10-21-2010, 11:48 AM
Doesn't matter if you're fearless. Still need to take a test, and still gone if you fail. Same as mindwarring somehing that fearless...its still got a leadership value

Old_Paladin
10-21-2010, 01:03 PM
Yay for Fearlessness:)

It's a leadership test, not a moral test. They still have to take it.

Some of the gear seems like it could be pretty good.
The crusible with a torrment launcher is an alright combo. It's not a sure thing, but it's cheap enough that you might as well include it.

I also like the shattershard and orb of dispair. Sometimes they'll let you down, but if you can pull off the right tricks, you're golden (these can have some real potential in pairs-tournies).

Mal
10-21-2010, 01:23 PM
Yeah Crucibles too weak for me. Nearly every phyker in the game is LD10. And with a random area of effect, and it being only 1 use means you could theoretically you only get 1 3" area of the guy using it....hardly scary.

Hex rifles are cool, but not sure how effective it'll be against big things....sure you wound and hit easy enough, but big things have multiple wounds...yes the ability to insta-kill is wonderful, but MC's can have 4-5 wounds giving you a low chance to kill. Against gargantuan reatures its even worse cos they have more wounds and are only wounded on a 6 from a sniper....

Personally im going to be using this gun against things like nobz and other tough, low-multi-wound critters...

Against the bigger critters, i'll stick to my agonisers, they have yet to let me down...

Cyberscape7
10-22-2010, 03:03 AM
It's a leadership test, not a moral test.

... Well that just sucks.

DrLove42
10-22-2010, 04:32 AM
Good thing is Hemos come in squads of 3 i think? So can get a good variety of wargear, but can see them being overloaded too much

Crucible, even with lowering LD first is just too hit and miss for me. You could get a tiny blast and kill nothing, in which case thats 20-30pts that could be spent elsewhere

But other end of stick could put them against a jetbike seer council (orthe 2000pt seer council i use in Apoc) and kill them all!

Vindur
10-22-2010, 06:37 AM
Im not sure if it is a nerf Buffo. Seems more like a rework, the range is now a lot shorter, but it does have the potential to kill multiple psykers now.

BuFFo
10-22-2010, 08:13 AM
Im not sure if it is a nerf Buffo. Seems more like a rework, the range is now a lot shorter, but it does have the potential to kill multiple psykers now.

Before it affected the entire table, and even gave additional -1 modifiers to the test made if you got closer.

Now, you have to be close to a psyker, and only if you are extremely lucky, and your opponent extremely stupid, they'll be more than one psyker clumped together for whatever reason. You still get no modifiers from the item by itself.

Yeah people online are going to spout "seer councils". whatever. Depends on your local metagame. In my area, there are no seer councils, so for me, it is a nerf.

Anyway, I never took that piece of crap, so I most definitely won't be taking it now. Maybe for you, or other players, it will work out! More power to you!

Mal
10-22-2010, 01:39 PM
Good thing is Hemos come in squads of 3 i think? So can get a good variety of wargear, but can see them being overloaded too much

No, no squads for the haemos, however you are allowed 3 haemos per HQ slot (and a single haemoculus ancient upgrade in the army).

Mycroft Holmes
10-22-2010, 05:48 PM

Is this a shooting attack/does it need LOS? Hopefully (for me) it is, otherwise this seems like a pretty nasty way to remove Psykers in transports.

Mycroft

DrBored
10-22-2010, 08:56 PM
Is this a shooting attack/does it need LOS? Hopefully (for me) it is, otherwise this seems like a pretty nasty way to remove Psykers in transports.

Mycroft

It's essentially template, so no, shouldn't need LOS, but I doubt we're going to have another Doom of Malan'tai on our hands. It shouldn't affect psykers in vehicles.

Cyberscape7
10-23-2010, 02:29 AM
The hexrifle. Does it not cause instant death? it just removes all their wounds?

Mal
10-23-2010, 05:05 AM
The hexrifle. Does it not cause instant death? it just removes all their wounds?

Neither, it just removes the model from play, regardless of eternal warrior, inv saves or any other gimmick to stay alive.

That being said, its a single shot weapon, and if you don't get the rending, then the chances of actually doing anything with it are slim.

Ahrimaneus
10-23-2010, 05:22 PM
however, we're all forgetting the most important part about all this arcane wargear. The effect it has on your opponent's playstyle! I guarantee you when you explain the "remove from play" to a tyranid or Chaos player they're going to play you differently. That "remove from play" is going to make them use their Daemon Princes much differently. The psychological effect of some of this stuff, for 15-20 points, on top of the chance of them actually doing what they can, can be pretty game-changing. Like having a tyranid player spread out his synapse a lot will give you a better opportunity to interfere with that bubble. Or getting a seer council to act less aggressively. Lots of cool things!

BuFFo
10-23-2010, 10:58 PM
Neither, it just removes the model from play, regardless of eternal warrior, inv saves or any other gimmick to stay alive.

That being said, its a single shot weapon, and if you don't get the rending, then the chances of actually doing anything with it are slim.

Hexrifle on a BS 5 Ancient Haemonculi is pretty powerful....

I love the fact it is an Assault Sniper weapon! That is just pure sex in and of itself...

Mycroft Holmes
10-24-2010, 01:12 PM
It's essentially template, so no, shouldn't need LOS, but I doubt we're going to have another Doom of Malan'tai on our hands. It shouldn't affect psykers in vehicles.

Ahhh, I didn't realize it was an actual weapon. I thought it was a Special Rule which would have lead to Doom levels of failure.

DrBored
10-24-2010, 03:36 PM
Ahhh, I didn't realize it was an actual weapon. I thought it was a Special Rule which would have lead to Doom levels of failure.

That's the problem, it is a special rule, but it's also an upgrade and also is described in a similar way to the Doom, so the FAQ will probably read the same way: No effecting anything in vehicles.