PDA

View Full Version : Plasma Gets Hot

Aegis
08-21-2009, 09:58 PM
Keeping in fine form, I have another question that is likely very dumb....

I was playing a game with a buddy the other day, and I shot up some of his eldar with a plasma gun. Upon rolling a 1, we came across an interesting dilemma in rules interpretations...

Basically, the gets hot rule states that the firer takes a wound, but saves as normal. An IG friend I play with has always told me that it is a straight up wound, and you get your normal armour save (whatever it may be). My eldar playing friend believes it to mean the firer takes the Str. 7, AP2 wound.

We rolled off for this situation, as we did not want to slow down the game based on one wound (especially since I rolled a 1 anyway, and the poor IST died), but I figured I would bring it here, and see what you good folk have to say about.

DevilUknow
08-21-2009, 10:03 PM
Keeping in fine form, I have another question that is likely very dumb....

I was playing a game with a buddy the other day, and I shot up some of his eldar with a plasma gun. Upon rolling a 1, we came across an interesting dilemma in rules interpretations...

Basically, the gets hot rule states that the firer takes a wound, but saves as normal. An IG friend I play with has always told me that it is a straight up wound, and you get your normal armour save (whatever it may be). My eldar playing friend believes it to mean the firer takes the Str. 7, AP2 wound.

We rolled off for this situation, as we did not want to slow down the game based on one wound (especially since I rolled a 1 anyway, and the poor IST died), but I figured I would bring it here, and see what you good folk have to say about.

Well, in the Get's Hot! writeup on p. 31 it says ..."unit takes one wound (normal saves apply)."

It doesn't mention AP or Str so I'd say the simplest reading of the rule is that your model takes a wound and they get a armour save. That's how I've always played.

Aegis
08-21-2009, 10:10 PM
Well, in the Get's Hot! writeup on p. 31 it says ..."unit takes one wound (normal saves apply)."

It doesn't mention AP or Str so I'd say the simplest reading of the rule is that your model takes a wound and they get a armour save. That's how I've always played.

Same here. I really only ask to avoid future complications. Personally, it has always seemed dumb that regular armour saves are applied, simply because I always saw the 'get's hot' rule as the gun back firing, in a sense.

imperialsavant
08-21-2009, 10:14 PM

:) Well thats the way we have always played it at our Games Club.
You dont get hit by the Plasma Blast so you only take a wound from the "Overheat" thus you just use your normal Armour Save.

Nabterayl
08-22-2009, 12:40 PM
Yeah, "Gets Hot!" is a safety mechanism (for the gun ;)) - the weapon's cooling system is unable to keep up with the heat of the plasma, so it vents the plasma in order to preserve the weapon. The result is a cloud of plasma that diffuses naturally in air, like a gas, rather than the focused bolt that the gun normally shoots. It's not like the gun twists around in your hands and shoots you.