PDA

View Full Version : Drop Pod Deployment Question

swanson4969
10-16-2010, 08:35 PM
I have been told you can deploy a unit like for example a thunderfire cannon or a dvestator squad on the table and then hold the drop pod in reserve and drop it in at the start of the first turn or in subsequent turns. Is this correct? Can anyone point me in the directionof why or where this is in the rules.

Thanks
Greg

Erasmus of Baal
10-16-2010, 08:56 PM
It's perfectly legal to deploy a Dedicated Transport without its cargo; it just can't deploy with a unit other than the unit that the transport is dedicated to inside. The Drop Pod will still have to follow the Drop Pod Assault rules and might end up being a very easy KP for the enemy, but could cause havoc on objectives.

To be perfectly honest, this tactic is the one and only reason why I even might take a Drop Pod--not that I think that they're not useful, just personal preference.

Tynskel
10-16-2010, 11:08 PM
yeah,

p.67 describes (under dedicated transport) how the unit that purchases the transport does not have to be on board. However, only the unit that has purchased the transport may begin the game in the transport.

Lerra
10-17-2010, 11:40 AM
A very common tactic is to take three drop pods. Two are full of guys, and one is taken as a dedicated transport for something like a Devastator team that is put on the table at deployment.

With drop pod assault, now both drop pods with guys inside can come down on turn 1. Alternately, you can drop the empty pod and one full pod, and keep another full pod in reserve. That 35 points can buy you a lot of tactical flexibility (especially if you have 5+ drop pods). Plus drop pods are useful to block line of sight, get in the way of tanks, or contest objectives.