PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated transports Question

Ramza
10-15-2010, 10:36 AM
I had a question on dedicated transports. If I take a Sternguard Vet squad and combat squad them, can i take a drop pod for half and a razorback for the other half? or am I only allowed to have 1 dedicated transport per 10man squad. I cannot however take them as 2 5 man squads as I do not have any more Elite slots available. any input would be helpful. thanks

Old_Paladin
10-15-2010, 11:06 AM
No, you only get one.

The unit entries are quite clear: May select a drop pod, rhino or razorback.
It's all singular, with an either/or choice.

The combat squads special rule has no wording that even indicates that it overrides the main unit entries to give the options of buying equipment for them as if they were seperately purchased squads.

Ramza
10-15-2010, 11:10 AM
Thank you

Paulo187
10-15-2010, 03:00 PM
You could always put your full 10-man Sternguard squad in one Drop Pod and then split the squad into two 5-man squads once the Drop Pod lands. That way you get two squads and a Drop Pod using just one force organization slot. That might work better for your needs.

Mal
10-15-2010, 05:03 PM
You could always put your full 10-man Sternguard squad in one Drop Pod and then split the squad into two 5-man squads once the Drop Pod lands. That way you get two squads and a Drop Pod using just one force organization slot. That might work better for your needs.

Actually you cannot do this, you cannot declare a unit is splitting into combat squads mid game, this needs to be decided during deployment.

Squads broken into combat squads cannot come onto the board in a single transport as each transport can only hold a single unit.

Therefore if you want to combat squad the sternguard then you can only deploy 5 via the drop pod, the other 5 have to hoof it on foot from your deployment zone.

Tynskel
10-15-2010, 07:51 PM
Every other situation you mention is correct.

However, read combat squads again. There is a special exception for Drop Pods.

This has to do with the nuances of the 40k rulebook. A Drop Pod entering is deployed the turn it comes in (it was on board the Cruiser, waiting for deployment orders), as opposed to a Jump Pack squad that enters via deep strike--- they were already deployed aboard the Thunderhawk on patrol above the battle field.

Athanaris
10-15-2010, 08:04 PM
Actually you cannot do this, you cannot declare a unit is splitting into combat squads mid game, this needs to be decided during deployment.

Squads broken into combat squads cannot come onto the board in a single transport as each transport can only hold a single unit.

Therefore if you want to combat squad the sternguard then you can only deploy 5 via the drop pod, the other 5 have to hoof it on foot from your deployment zone.

Mal, in general terms you are correct, but, as Paulo187 ( and now Tynskel) points out, the Drop Pod is the exception. Pg. 51 of SM Codex; last 2 sentences of second to last paragraph under COMBAT SQUADS.
You may split squad into combat squads when exiting the Pod. My primary Marine opponent does this with annoying regularity.